XR650L Smog removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
I was in a tinkering mood this weekend and finally had some free time after my crappy exam so I had a look at this site
https://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xrlsmog/
and decided to try this myself. Got some plugs from Tygerberg Rubber (previously Rubber Products and Mouldings) and found an unused piece of 3mm aluminium bar. I made the blocks off plates using the smog pipes as templates. In typical over engineering fashion I was afraid that the 3mm aluminium would make it so i cut the pipes from the old smog kit and used the new plates I cut as "gaskets". I put the old blocks over them and with used some high temp gasket sealer to seal it up nicely. I removed all piping and re-routed the breather pipe as per instructions on the supplied link. I removed the T piece from the carb vent pipes and reconnected the two pipes with the little connector that came of when I removed the pump. At least it looks better and it saves some weight (until I eat another cheeseburger...)

Then I removed the snorkel from the airbox by drilling out the two little rivets.

The bike sounds nicer and the popping on deceleration is gone (I kind of miss it thought).

Now for the carb mods, but I think I will leave that the professionals  ;)

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 183
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 176