Zimbabwe Gravel Travel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FCC918A1-59A4-4C5D-B7C4-734590FE1EF0.jpeg

We arrive at the Gomos and almost without warning we hit the first climb. It is a crazy incline but the surface provides good traction and should make for easy climb provided you can keep the bike from flipping backwards.

As we reach the top of the first climb, Treff calls us back as some riders have fallen at the start of the climb. Mark and I make our way back down to assist. I start the descent shortly after Mark and fail to see which line he takes down. Worried that I’ll go over a drop off, I turn my bike around on the crazy incline and park it facing upwards. It is almost impossible to walk on the incline and it takes me forever to negotiate my way down.

B11817AF-1B4A-4CDF-8739-8CD36CAD2E18.jpeg

Koot’s 1290 looks rather secondhand after a fall and somewhat of a roll at the start of the climb. We can hardly stand on the incline and picking up and turning around his bike turns out to be quite an undertaking. Eventually we have the bike facing downwards and I ride it down to level ground. Mark takes the remainder of group up an easier route and I start the arduous process of making my way back to my bike.

Mark did offer to take me up on the back of his bike, but with my heart hardly making the solo climb I declined what seemed like a much riskier option 😉

084811C8-FC0F-492C-A22B-BECAEDE4E5AD.jpeg

Absolutely stunning - I have never been that far east, guess I will have to change that.....

@Fuzzy Muzzy - are you fromMutare? I know a few older people who still live there - they farm seedlings - and my wifes best friends grew up there - they live here now - looks like a lekker place tho!
@ClimbingTurtle My mom is from Mutare, I was born in Harare and have cousins all over Zim, we spent our family holidays at Kariba in a resort called Karibbea Bay. Honestly I would have no problem going back to Zim if I was paid in $$

Enjoyed Part 5 a lot NK (y) That 15 year old long legged Big Blue thrives in that gnarly terrain 💪 ( and the pilot doesn't do too bad either :cool: )
Thanks! It was a really gnarly ride!

Yeah it's amazing that a 15 year old bike is still one of the most capable ones out there.