2023 Big Red Pigs in Kenya - Season 8! Rise of the Octopig!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osadabwa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
Welcome to XR650R heaven Pig Fans, and say hello to 2023!

We're back with our eighth consecutive year of Honda XR650R domination in Kenya! Put on new tyres and change your oil, cause we're ready to roll! It’s 2023 and as in previous years, I’ll collect my exaggerated blathering about rides here.

AL9nZEVpXsJ_VOpt__smzKLjH6FyIqCBPUcz15DiEg8T0HlZIWrmVpE0VjLVQHxbIxGb2ZYb5-iJPI0_iP-RcUVxHGl3HSCqFFA0wXwrabPAfhz_8C95aDt_cM3Ttbp2ixfxrmcTNggnAeVPnzqG3SNI7skebg=w959-h540-no

We've already been on our first of what I hope shall be many rides this year, down to the Rift Valley and beyond. I’ve kept track of all the previous seven years, which, for ease of reference for my lazy ass and yours, are linked here:

2016 – Pig Arrival… First impressions and tweaks, Rift Valley exploration, Magadi, Loita hills, Amboseli… figuring out which tyre lasts (answer, none of them), White Caps and kuku choma

2017 – Pig Initiation – New converts to the way of the Pig, more Rift Valley, breaking things, getting faster, new tracks, Shompole and Nguruman, Aberdares, Chyulu Hills & Kilimanjaro, Epic trip to the far north White Caps and kuku choma

2018 – Pig Maturation – A changing Rift Valley, New tracks and new Pig riders, a sunken XRR, wildlife, a Tanzania reunion with the Dar Bikers, North to Ol Olokwe, 5 XRRs to the north for Xmas, White Caps and kuku choma

2019 – Ultimate Pig Fest – Most active year ever, tons of valley, getting properly quick now, lots of solo riding, epic ride to Ethiopian border, epic ride to Suguta Valley, epic ride to the Mountain of God in Tanzania and much more including White Caps and kuku choma

2020 – Hellfire Corona Pig – Discovering Little Lake Magadi, four BRPs escape to Eburru Forest, epic ride to both sides of L Turkana and a return to Suguta Valley, many small ones to round out the year… White Caps and kuku choma!

2021 - Pig Resistance - Suswa galore including new routes, Little L Magadi, Lobomoto to Natron, assembling and breaking in my new XRR, epic ride to the North and Lake Logipi at last, some Spanish Vespa action, more epic riding to Mathews Range, Tugan Hills and Baringo, and finishing up the year by breaking my friend Kolobus' leg... shame!... and riding with Dakar Legend Joey "Juju" Evans... and White Caps and Kuku Choma!

And

2022 – The Reoinkening – Amboseli early on, some rides in the valley, first camp at clandestine Suswa overlook, farewell to Holesaw, ambitious and beautiful rides in the Loita Hills and finishing up the year with a wicked return to Northern Tanzania. Looking back, not half bad though it seemed at the time like we were never on the bike!

Now without further ado, let’s kickstart 2023!

To be continued...