2023 Big Red Pigs in Kenya - Season 8! Rise of the Octopig!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osadabwa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
Welcome to XR650R heaven Pig Fans, and say hello to 2023!

We're back with our eighth consecutive year of Honda XR650R domination in Kenya! Put on new tyres and change your oil, cause we're ready to roll! It’s 2023 and as in previous years, I’ll collect my exaggerated blathering about rides here.

AL9nZEVpXsJ_VOpt__smzKLjH6FyIqCBPUcz15DiEg8T0HlZIWrmVpE0VjLVQHxbIxGb2ZYb5-iJPI0_iP-RcUVxHGl3HSCqFFA0wXwrabPAfhz_8C95aDt_cM3Ttbp2ixfxrmcTNggnAeVPnzqG3SNI7skebg=w959-h540-no

We've already been on our first of what I hope shall be many rides this year, down to the Rift Valley and beyond. I’ve kept track of all the previous seven years, which, for ease of reference for my lazy ass and yours, are linked here:

2016 – Pig Arrival… First impressions and tweaks, Rift Valley exploration, Magadi, Loita hills, Amboseli… figuring out which tyre lasts (answer, none of them), White Caps and kuku choma

2017 – Pig Initiation – New converts to the way of the Pig, more Rift Valley, breaking things, getting faster, new tracks, Shompole and Nguruman, Aberdares, Chyulu Hills & Kilimanjaro, Epic trip to the far north White Caps and kuku choma

2018 – Pig Maturation – A changing Rift Valley, New tracks and new Pig riders, a sunken XRR, wildlife, a Tanzania reunion with the Dar Bikers, North to Ol Olokwe, 5 XRRs to the north for Xmas, White Caps and kuku choma

2019 – Ultimate Pig Fest – Most active year ever, tons of valley, getting properly quick now, lots of solo riding, epic ride to Ethiopian border, epic ride to Suguta Valley, epic ride to the Mountain of God in Tanzania and much more including White Caps and kuku choma

2020 – Hellfire Corona Pig – Discovering Little Lake Magadi, four BRPs escape to Eburru Forest, epic ride to both sides of L Turkana and a return to Suguta Valley, many small ones to round out the year… White Caps and kuku choma!

2021 - Pig Resistance - Suswa galore including new routes, Little L Magadi, Lobomoto to Natron, assembling and breaking in my new XRR, epic ride to the North and Lake Logipi at last, some Spanish Vespa action, more epic riding to Mathews Range, Tugan Hills and Baringo, and finishing up the year by breaking my friend Kolobus' leg... shame!... and riding with Dakar Legend Joey "Juju" Evans... and White Caps and Kuku Choma!

And

2022 – The Reoinkening – Amboseli early on, some rides in the valley, first camp at clandestine Suswa overlook, farewell to Holesaw, ambitious and beautiful rides in the Loita Hills and finishing up the year with a wicked return to Northern Tanzania. Looking back, not half bad though it seemed at the time like we were never on the bike!

Now without further ado, let’s kickstart 2023!

To be continued...

We kicked off the year with a quick rip down to the Rift Valley for a very special event. Our man Neb was getting hitched, and for some reason he and his lovely lady invited Panic and me! I’m sure it was a mistake, but we never look a gift pig in the snout, so we RSVP’d immediately and etched it into our calendars with a chisel.

The plan would be to send our fancy dress clothes down with some inferior mortal in a 4 wheeled cage while we shred tyre rubber all over the valley’s roughest regolith. We’d camp on the Ewaso Nyiro the night before the wedding and aim to be the first at the posh venue in the morning… results of the previous evenings exuberances permitting.

So, full of piss and vinegar, we took off. Blazing down the well-known track. Bikes felt 100%. My body… not so much. Maybe over did Christmas a bit? I dunno, but in no time I saw my ass in most undignified fashion. Guess 2023 won’t be all drifts, roosts and wheelies!

AL9nZEXVMXaYMTnvJxN7J3jM1RvSOwNgiENM2LFgHzKAYVMQwXXVYNmZMFnB0rW09Ip4vesG4R359wauVEOKLLtSqeUxrUW1LC4irHqc4e6mL_X2-93qDPiUB-yq5XtHgffAdKef6G3B37DtPMeNElTOwW7LTQ=w960-h540-no

Above: Welcome to 2023! On my ass in the dust already.

It was just a wee tumble. No harm done. Just rattled the bones a bit. From there we blitzed along, turned down toward Little Magadi and in no time, Panic joined me in the first-of-the-year awards. His trophy will be for the first puncture of 2023! Hongera Panic!

AL9nZEXuUsnjnMrhywIwEoJdTZZajRnHwXQ2CdMgLTiHqKiII7HGxDzs9Eb2Paarfqdf1IiUYZ0yjtnZYMyUqZJd-tPn5hF8abEKQfALKy8sp6TwQd_6NBu01k1Cgg-d5IhWHxK63izSADvIPJ35V8_bQTurAw=w960-h540-no

Above: On the track to Little Magadi, panic finds a thorn… or a thorn finally made its way past the Oko

AL9nZEXv005uiQaYKmCih8ypKx1yaXfAHcwR6_swX2IqiM4KNh5HMSdWDEL1smn9PA88DtwKWYZNyNzOztrRp6JSqm2u_nHTbohW-mWBqMCfIbZ9nALM5pcaUr6Qn6lsoAQVhj5oQgyTP0j1ZKglg4-uvQBHFQ=w960-h540-no

Above: Nice little shady spot to do it though… and there was a half decent breeze

A bit further on and we turn down the wide riverbed before descending into rolling stone chaos. It felt hotter and harder than I remember it, and by the time the lake was within view I was knackered. Still that area just blows me away with its beauty. You never see hide nor hair of humans either, just a few impala now and then and a giraffe or two.

AL9nZEXvBUY0vxoTYJrA76ZgY4I0wyRQUmGmk3_MfXOUavf3_uLzei6j74M-u-XsyUruanJ9Q8TGVfF4zDWKyQ5TEdRSCxXUOjIRa4i5iM0jHrUcwC_FYnidAAlvlJdZjR9lo1lQVpY3mf8FKcFOg9pL09socQ=w960-h540-no

Above: Panic on the hard-packed sand riverbed

AL9nZEV4a2M9jc7hT2SdK-4LDMWsKMyuNVAaTYmbDdqIlFXqgq-SMFI1aEH8If0kesocPdbHpEjO5Gyo-kiREpm7nu8ObxBMPb3oykGMvqXl8RZmhP6kXv3iapnmK4tutcWFUnQ7nfktluhu1nuG2bDIHPuAlw=w960-h540-no

Above: A riverbed waterhole dug deep into the sand made us pull out to go around

AL9nZEX2GfQIyjKCCWFCmSFIm3EiQRq3mqXE9pvjHph95eNROH5Vdl0zp7AT4_WRzuYCZuEBXhvKXBI7cuXMv9-t51-Lx78ao3rHHjHqNQE4OQ_RcAokjy1VeV0TjqBH5Jzr1ex-PUHtuhtFwX1S25gJ8kn3ug=w960-h540-no

Above: And cross back over and out the other side

AL9nZEUMHdYlfKGK5-2hPq888VzV6TRry_VWMyrLZh0iPBL51m_WgasG-odl4i5huD3nUWgcqDYtMhmd_s8rBeWJG3UnjiHIlot3ZMGWfgrj0o2xdqNHw2HqEkam3rRdZ8Uxo6d5iF6zY_A1cC-nGvdGUaJy8Q=w960-h540-no

Above: Further down, it’s all hot sunshine, blue skies and stone fields on hardpacked earth

AL9nZEX1c9JG6K01CscWFXMvBpriJ_4BspULDdEGBiQs-yP5cpUHuY4abWPe-ibFdL4VD333c0IiZEI6NnzG8muaWP1FZcaSHdT1mdyftI_zTKVlE8iJGIoObxarALUGtkgX4yxgYnVcuGZQt0tPHguQnSMz6Q=w960-h540-no

Above: Oh, and a few wait-a-bit branches hanging low to catch unwary bikers out. That one got me right on the schnoot.

AL9nZEVhnscygxqZ-bN0iR-79tkMqWgxy3Jcd0UiMFJmXbdYV81Hw-v5cpSCZEbhW9AL-MLJ_iWcON2kaN3hFTkk8GQsW0E2hj-mkrkArbgSHOmklMBQGdMtxv5af3blJTjX1elBKHL-kVMyQLAbSaO1O435tQ=w960-h540-no

Above: In the shade of the trees overlooking Little Magadi. I could have stayed there for the rest of the day, but beers were calling as was the muddy little Ewaso Nyiro River

AL9nZEUxuIgy5Rg3YSg_aYk9nL434hHr6S-Qvc9UVozKIieyyGS_TTriXrhlioW2E_OohULYfsKr0eTuXiKeC-w4WsdVPcbbxHbU6b7StPMdum8r1L_EoJ-HkzYXzNRx0DLcYXzeBgxoUN8eOADFNMRf3p9iwA=w960-h540-no

Above: A few zebras along the lake. Nice to still see a handful of animals around. It has been very dry this year

AL9nZEU5LCiY5Tt5haMb9ezfTI2LmhCNOWDM9VNoT4JSG4KDeDL9NBm84rrkX8g9ygOnYX9QL-lcULdELr2Ae7Tdd9D-hyqr_O5S7Hi8_unip_0EMlS7rMcezcNX79OwR8iTRSU6xspyTYWdXxTZmEKo3C2NJw=w960-h540-no

Above: An hour later we were in Nguruman at the Stop Over for beers. Not just beers, but cold beers! Properly icy ones. What a treat!

With a sixpack of White Caps in our bags, we made our way down the rocky hill to the dusty edge of the muddy river. We put up the tents with a small crowd of kids and a rather forward lady who had to be told with lewd gestures that I was about to get nekkid before she turned her back.
AL9nZEUYyBQErDDfLTJdvm18IeTuroKPav94mfs3iZSHHCttki1Mgx3h6iLpFIr6eNCSBE5dE9ySTJISB6OnwnWt3M54hcvLCIbo4gHAH2giagc5Inb6Leo0-lf0Y-NLhm3bzi6yDNtG7RylQK_cW5fZajJ1bg=w960-h540-no

Above: The campsite in the evening light

AL9nZEXrwqE1pZ0xmEpm6ZI4pObmCVT3Uee8M3MDAp3muYk192xIjkwV8Cx3SAOU9n6n3N2yyIU8RhJdZc71BaG8TUpgFI0jWTvkEhlVSHpqakEv-ihSB7F0vrOeYl5csi7eBrGBieFr7WC6k7og51slwL38vg=w960-h540-no

Above: A damn good pic of my mate Panic if I do say so. 8 years of this so far fella, let’s shoot for 10 at least!

AL9nZEWjJq5a7OBWQ0r_DxhEiY4xlCQlvVq7aBBOHXMawBC4SV5KGfw63e0oemM9YUZTqaIrWgtW4bYmjaSbmMpkz8j0ly_yKHtzjaduBK6hvVqq2SPPuMqUt6agKywMyfXlPVl9FvYdG-Rft2Mn4WVpz1u3Cw=w960-h540-no

Above: Downstream a pasty crocodile stalks his pray… an innocent White Cap is soon decapitated

Spirits were high. There’s something about the year’s first ride that brings out the hooligan. We had music playing, the weather was great, not long after dark the full moon rose up and confused birds sang all night long. All our beers and half a litre of Black Label disappeared and we hit the tents at 1AM and slept right through the night. In the morning, the red hot eye of the demon rose above the riverbank and shone on our carcasses, getting us moving

AL9nZEWDygxU6DhlrGcZlgWd4Cs6pxnG7T5fRZjXQbeLnsHzldx3apWlc9chOH39uj4C4atc_kgjNnpIDaS_fNYPeUrX2BVSdnlio97qPZa1BdSMFYYEwnxnkJgthzkFsAYaezU0wv6Rzbr8wQ8WIgWo55ecGg=w960-h540-no

Above: An improvised speaker-holder, air guitar at dusk, hangover and instant coffee at dawn. A great night.

We packed up with dizzy heads, but with special motivation. In an hour we’d be swimming in a pool with a cold beer in our hands (ok, we’d wait a bit closer to noon for the beer) at a luxurious lodge overlooking the valley. First though we had to ride back to Nguruman to give the mama back her bottles, grab a bite to eat and put a bit of go-juice in the old red tanks. Scoffing three hardboiled eggs, some rather awful tea and several slices of white bread with BlueBand did the trick. Bring on the luxury!

AL9nZEWKLh32JSrZNGcX9qSCQ5-FJjhkWeC_n3XK_gkwq67IfeXmlJFHvxTa1Wq5eLSfUbXS4tKhdCZqDpXNtnSpOv8-uENU2kRbifH9wgqVZtwwkY_RuWq8ROkHi8XiZVGeKD_r4u5IkwFqI9sY80E8RF-f4Q=w960-h540-no

Above: And luxurious it was. No need to belabour the point, but we are some lucky buggars. Spend a whole day riding some of Kenya’s best and most challenging stuff in order to camp out and howl at a full moon on a croc-free river only to subsequently hit a fancy lodge’s pool and attend a friend’s wedding the day after? I mean, yeah!

AL9nZEXWmMbfmYnsAGSIbBsOSqqCQ-xLNdq18PJZQyzCfgCQZMtIScZhzBiO6bWVyic2V3QudDdyP9YhCLPLL80iTw5spqLLrUKtqUZ0rE7cYy7DNbEfqOqhIEf8N9xs0trgcXWF-G8oyBRZPsZGOUMmdJUVSA=w960-h540-no

Above: A happy couple in the middle. Not to be outdone, Panic and I got a couple of couples shots at the venue as well then the whole group went down to the plains for a dusk ceremony that was really nice. Neb, congrats, you’re punching well above your weight with your lady there! Thanks for inviting two middle-aged bikers to your celebration (sans families!).

Hey, now that you’re hitched, will you come riding with us?

It’s an auspicious start to 2023. Let’s hope our luck holds out!

Oink

Just saw the heading now.

"Rise of the Octopig" :LOL:

Catchy!

An Amboseli Overnighter

Since January, I’ve only been out on the Pig for a single, solitary day ride! That’s simply unacceptable! Fortunately, Aladdin and Wry were hatching a plan and I hitched my piggy to their star so to speak. Aladdin was leading a pair of pumpkins for a multi-day ride on some of my tracks from Nairobi to Nguruman and Amboseli. Wry and I planned to intercept them halfway and then peel off for home as they continued toward Chyulu Hills. So we braaaaaapped!

[IMG]

Above: Ripping down to Mi-46 the ol’ girl was snorting fire

Wry and I zipped down past Olepolos to the Mi-46 road and on to Torosei. It is a rocky, fast ripper. Checking messages we saw that the others had stopped for petrol and were a bit delayed. This was fortuitous, since I noticed upon arriving in Mi-46 that Wry’s top bag had jettisoned somewhere on the track! In a panic, we ripped back the way we’d come hoping against hope that somebody hadn’t nicked it. Fortunately, many kilometres back I found it right in the middle of the road. Phew! It had his tent in it! Muppet! How long have we been doing this by now? FFS! (Gentle reader, in fairness to Wry (and I hate being fair to Wry) I must admit that on that last day ride I did, I also managed to lose a perfectly good Giant Loop bag… long story short, we’re both muppets.)

[IMG]

Above: Wry’s bag recovery

Relieved that the ride wasn’t scrapped, we returned to Mi-46 for a celebratory 10:30AM beer at the AK-47 bar. We had the place to ourselves and even the village idiot didn’t find us, so we jammed to the music blasting next door and enjoyed the coolish beer in the shade before heading off to find Aladdin and the squash brothers.

[IMG]

Above: Wry captured my beauty with these artistic shots. Looks like a washed up boy band backup singer’s solo LP liner photos. Osadabwa smooth grooves.

[IMG]

Above: And this one could be DJ Jazzy Wry and the White Caps

Anyway, on to Torosei with the throttles twisted back.

[IMG]

Lovely to see the track is still in rough shape. Washouts everywhere. Deep sand and fesh in places. Still nice and quick. Worryingly though, many places have new 5-strand barbed wire fences around them. How long before these guys lobby for a tar road to service their farms?

[IMG]

Above: In Torosei, the boys waited in the shade of the tree for our arrival. Apparently, we’d timed it pretty well. They only waited 5 minutes or so.

Now that the pigs and pumpkins were together, we aimed West for Amboseli. But first there were some riverbeds and hills to navigate. From Torosei, I have often gotten snagged in a bazillion wait-a-bit bushes in search of my favourite hill track, but this time I found us a nice escape plan which hit the riverbed early and fast. From there it was up the hillsides and down the rocky cattle path toward Meto and the Maili Tisa Riverbed. Excellent riding and the guys were henjoying.

[IMG]

Above: One of the orange riders. Dark helmet, dark shirt, blocked out headlamp… this guy looked like one of the horsemen of the apocalypse ripping toward you!

[IMG]

Above: Dust from a piggy disappearing into the distance. The things dig trenches while the KTMs float above the surface.

[IMG]

Above: Funky red soil along the track

Wry was in the lead, climbing happily toward the top of the trail. I knew there was a tricky section ahead, with rocks and a steep descent. I had ways to go around it… but decided to keep quiet and let the ride proceed because every ride should have one section that makes you pucker up a bit. When I turned up, the group had stopped at the crux while Wry pondered his GPS, wondering if we were on the right track (despite having ridden the same track with me only a year ago… sigh! Muppet!). So just to shame him for hesitating, I bimbled past them without stopping. Down the slope, all bravado and ballsack, I stopped half way down to take pics thankful I didn’t dump the bike in the process!

[IMG]

Above: Part one is pretty tricky and caught one of us out. Little drop. No harm done. Conquered it in the end.

[IMG]

Above: Part two of the descent slams down around the rocky corner. Also quite tricky.

Once all five of us were off the hillside, the figurative hunger for some speedy riverbed and actual hunger for some grub was starting to take hold. So we rolled the twisty tracks to the lugga, blasted the sand and packed dirt, navigated a couple rocky sections and popped out near Oruk for an escape at Maili Tisa. From there, a rip down the tar to Wry’s favourite Namanga roadside dump for some pilau and an afternoon White Cap.

[IMG]

Above: Bikers happy in the bush

[IMG]

Above: Sand lugga

[IMG]

Above: Making time... or trying to. Something's blocking my fuel flow and after a few seconds of full gas the bike has sucked the float bowl dry. Problem gets worse with less than half tank. Going to have to investigate at home.

[IMG]

Above: A piggy in the lugga

[IMG]

Above: Wry in the riverbed

[IMG]

Above: Heading to the rocky bits

[IMG]

Above: Wry high-centres on a stone (and in front of the calabazas as well… dammit Wry)

[IMG]

Above: Our shady Namanga roadhouse

[IMG]

Above: Bikes in a row

[IMG]

Above: Happy bikers in international waters

To be continued...

It was now only an hour to our exclusive invite-only campsite, so we saddled up and ripped up the main road, deviating down toward the Tanzania border and Lake Amboseli’s dry pan. A bit of hooliganism in the flats later and we were perched atop a familiar hill with views of a shrouded Mt. Kilimanjaro and plains as far as the eye can see. And our campsite was just below in a protected spot with tall trees. A fire was organized and even a simple shower. Soon we were shooting the breeze and sipping beers around the fire.

[IMG]

Above: Heading to the lakebed

[IMG]

Above: Full blast looping on Lake Amboseli

[IMG]

Above: So much fun

[IMG]

Above: The hilltop lookout with the camp below

[IMG]

Above: Good group of guys (if you exclude Wry…)

[IMG]

Above: Heading down to the camp, Kili in the distance hidden in afternoon cloud

[IMG]

Above: Campsite among the acacias

During the night, a herd of zebra trundled past under the spotlight full moon and a hyena cried in the distance, but otherwise it was totally silent and utterly lovely. I slept like the dead and awoke very thankful that none of the millions of acacia thorns had decided to puncture my air mattress!

The still morning brought with it a fiery sunrise. Three-fifths of the crew were up early and packed, with a long day ahead of them in search of a way to ride bikes up the Chyulu Hills (spoiler, it’s a no-go). Wry and I watched the goings on calmly and bid them a hearty thanks and farewell. We were a tad lazier. Apart from having a lunch date with a mate of Wry’s planned for mid-day in Bisil, we were in no rush. So… another cup of coffee? Don’t mind if we do!

[IMG]

Above: Sunrise on the Amboseli plains

[IMG]

Above: A forest aflame

[IMG]

Above: Morning scenes

Eventually Wry and I hit the road. First stop was back up the hill to see if Kili who was out from behind her cloudbank. From this angle, she doesn’t have as much of her iconic volcano shape which surprised me. Still, it’s a great big, beautiful mountain.

[IMG]

Above: Wry with Kili

[IMG]

Above: My piggy looking back to Orok in the distant haze

We bee-lined it north, straight through the middle of Lake Amboseli’s totally dry lakebed. Mirages on every side, it was a surreal half hour. It’s been extraordinarily dry for many seasons now and there were carcasses everywhere to show for it. But some creatures keep kicking out there, including some ostriches, one of which just kept running like some avian Forest Gump and a small herd of giraffe that shimmered and ran on the horizon. Spectacular way to start the day.

[IMG]

Above: Goofing around on the lakebed

[IMG]

Above: Wry finishes up his 100th one-arm push up routine on the lakebed with Kili in the distance. A total beefcake is our Wry. Fit as a fart.

[IMG]

Above: Riding’s good if you can stand the company!

[IMG]

Above: Piggies on the plain

[IMG]

Above: Our giraffe herd with Kili behind in the haze

[IMG]

Above: They look so out of place here… like, what’s the plan? Do you see any trees? Water?

[IMG]

Above: Evidence of rather worse outcomes… damn zebra even lost her shoes…

Wry and I picked our way through some lovely flowing tracks up to Bisil, had a nice chat and lunch with his mate at his place on a beautiful farm, ripped up to the Marble Quarry and Mi-46 without incident and stopped in at Olepolos for one last White Cap and a plate of chips. Home at dusk, another nice little rip for the books.

[IMG]

Above: At the Bisil Farm. So damn dry!

[IMG]

Above: Olepolos snack break… Wry we really need to download a beauty filter on your phone or something...

Wait a sec… let me try something here… “Hey Hal, can you make us look like movie stars please?”

Watch this short video while we wait for the filter to take effect:

OK here's the retouched photo for us, Wry:

[IMG]

Above: Sweet Jayzus!

Oink

(B)rain damaged...

Just a bit painful how many weeks are squeezing between rides these days. Alas! This time a combination of work and torrential rains were to blame, and after I saw a couple of wild videos showing my otherwise dry-as-bones slice of the Rift Valley under water I had to go see what the damage was.

AMWts8CAN32Zc66WCf_s166dDmujXvnpLvw-PZZzjbMXBcUW2se2V8VRqdb3DwPNu5gIRGu16_eSMGqmpMm5LsCCt_iQAOlymaHB-2FP13AtCIttAdmD0QpLLpHJn6FQwGZxJMI_VW9iby2uZyVH1oXZD37Iiw=w959-h505-s-no

Above: From a video that made its way around the WhatsApps last week. A slice of the Ngong – Suswa road by the nyama choma joints absolutely flooded. Several cars went under. It’s buyer beware in Nairobi for the next couple of months… if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is!

AMWts8Bex7jiTWdRHBp842MC02z6ZeQntRqN5uqG2B8RCM5NKIo80ncsfuapJsq4s7tOpguqrccHoepWAuZpipaaKHRZPsqF1ogA-691PQYXpC2J2BrZinmmfRUyVUYaDa7rHlTd4uIpQzPbIK3oBJ5xA6z6LQ=w959-h539-s-no

Above: The same spot a week later. Bits of tarmac had broken off, but otherwise it’s mostly back to normal. Word has it a dam broke its banks uphill of here, letting loose a torrent all at once.

Anyway, I just needed to ride. I had two goals. 1) Test my carb. On the last ride, she was fuel starved if I was wide open for very long. Panic adjusted the float and all seemed A-OK on the trails and 2) See if I could find my Giant Loop. A month ago, I was out showing a friend new to biking what the Valley is like. I’d lent him my GL day bag to carry tubes in, but it wouldn’t stay on his KTM so I just strapped it on my bike… and it went sailing. I re-traced my steps but couldn’t find the thing. Best I could do was tell a handful of people I lost it and would come back looking for it.

AMWts8AP3GB56AOjUjPVbUIvGeXni_4s6VgrOKJi_FzNpye8TWn3RuJtArmzryujcaqqMp5BIHj5stGyLbaKA13sKyH3deT_HxqDQsWZ5wPR5CfnQW1GCI6JgAaFD2g4IR_uvKrlHrD1Uvhy5LiJX-zLHZlmBg=w959-h539-s-no

Above: The usual Ngong Viewpoint quarry. Lovely colors now that the rains have come. Beautiful, cool morning.

I rode over to the little population centre and enquired at the duka I originally told about my missing bag and to my surprise he starts calling somebody. It’d been found! The number was busy, so I told him I’d keep on with my ride and check in later. Amazing news! Now back to braaping.

AMWts8Dq7thrJP3i_cyEipx7mfwk9gy7fiOUFdumSJq_xLXfn74qdXOVMr7GQO9SsdO0fPz52AfQFmrwPnSIiNI0Ity3C3ooye6AapX2SWInN39fA_FdRfcI_uXK3o5vSzPWHx1POAq6fKm2PkQ_Be1-4vEeYA=w959-h539-s-no

Above: It was a beautiful morning. The track to Saikeri and Najile wasn’t much different than usual, just grippier, apart from one very rocky section that had flooded and this low spot where a little terrapin was busy scuttling around in the puddles. It’s science fiction to me that they can live in the dust under the road or wherever and then just emerge when the rains come like its nothing.

AMWts8C2JEbXIvwk-KVRa14VxL1IO1WNupUCE-Yl5N5YVtEsx8WBLTE-ClthXme8dRPgqpklRn94dw_IE1hLsoQpyuEL-G86dBnwZpwLeRPr_r8QiB6S_ANXscuii6aWv8V0GcQjRum8Xur-vyYamhJceaOHrQ=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Continuing down to Ewaso for the traditional chai na mandazi at the Investment Hotel

AMWts8D8UsaEkDWPJKwGL_gzgi5ZXvyRsn6QJb6bV52UstAnkSpXD5JcsGxZZ9zcwCJaLTG_n8VIAEwOuP-QTwcft_Ch58ojx-Rl3oS2hQde0Mg33p_fWrJsn5ZZ6OlJdxkESlGRSZ6ZezfehN6GdZ7F6lqFBw=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Back up the SGR. I was sure it would be a rutted mess but I have to give the Chinese their due. It seemed no worse than usual (and it’s always a bit bad, which is why I like it). Only a few puddles like this one. I chased a troop of baboons away for the pic.

Racing back to Kimuka I was eager to see if the bag would actually arrive. Another call and a few minutes wait later and here comes a man. Sure enough, he had the bag! Said his daughter found it walking back from church, tossed off the roadside into the bush. A tube was inside before and lost now, so I suspect the first guy who found it nicked the tube and tossed the bag. I was so chuffed with the outcome, I had to rip over to Vitis for a beer to celebrate.

AMWts8D5uFunk8vhDdBTE8B2qe0twq7BiDHkF3gd-9MiLmxSUfQ3WJDgi9hjTYyamFerMmdBqLo0LS1TTp_OSu9LhVqbTsdCDrRkTMVszX4nd4_C1KtdmeZ3dKgymMCetoaBOViQoyDJO3iHPwtU0KogIKhG5g=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Bag and Balozi at Vitis.

Excellent half day of riding. Got to get out again soon!

Easter holidays used to be the time of year for epic rides, but these days we’re happy with whatever we can get. Thankfully our “whatever we can get” is still pretty great, so Panic and I plotted a quick day out into the Rift Valley. There were rainclouds everywhere, but some recent moisture has made all the colors pop with greens and oranges. The air was cool but heavy with rain and we picked tracks trying our best to avoid getting bogged in mud. It was a cat-and-mouse game all morning and while we didn’t avoid getting rained on, we never got soaked.

[IMG]

Above: Quick drop into the Rift on the Magadi road to get away from the escarpment where rains were pounding.

[IMG]

Above: Looking back toward Mt. Esakut where the ordinary Oltepesi road is getting soaked

The little track we picked was a blast. Softish from previous rains, but mostly sandy it was a perfect drift practice zone. At one point, Panic overcooked it and lost the front end on a bit of an off-camber bit, but like a boss just held onto the handlebars all the way to the dirt. No worse for wear, we braaped up to the junction with the Oltepesi road and blasted it over to Najile and Ewaso for a cup of chai and a mandazi at the Investment Hotel.

[IMG]

Above: Panic’s skid marks… the ones on the ground anyway... front wheel on the right, rear on the left. What were you thinking old mate?

After tea, the sun poked out again and we aimed for the SGR. I was hot to trot and fearless in the tight section full of washouts and ruts. Once on the SGR road itself it was more of the same, just blasting and slamming and loving it. We were aiming for lunch at this point, but decided to stop to get a few glamour shots of Pigs flying.

[IMG]

Above: Panic

[IMG]

Above: Me

Racing toward a dark cloud drooping over the Ngongs, we diverted from our original plan of Olepolos and went to Vitis instead. It was closer and we had a powerful thirst. We pulled in, piled up kit and had a beer in hand just as the rains hammered down again. The mbuzi choma and chips came a bit later and was lovely.

[IMG]

Above: Panic at Vitis with a fresh mmbeer

[IMG]

Above: A bit of a drizzo… only a couple weeks ago, this area was completely flooded

[IMG]

Above: The traditional choma zone selfie

Done with lunch, we set off for home. By now the clouds were properly broody, so we stopped to put on rain jackets, but we made it home without getting too badly soaked.

[IMG]

Above: Dark clouds cometh

Excellent day out. Couple hundred kms, lunch and back by siesta time!

I didn't want to quit!

A few weeks ago I had a chance to get a pair of SUMO wheels for my XR650R. They're on sale from a fellow Pig Lover in South Africa who wasn't using them anymore, so I had to take the chance to bring them up to Kenya. They arrived last week and I couldn't wait to put them on the bike to see how they looked and take him for a quick shakedown. Man do they turn heads! Not too many Supermotos in Kenya! And from my point of view, its a lot better than rolling around on worn out knobbies.

AJFCJaWvuesUtOHXUpwDDD0voPmFNM9pqXDiNb2LZvbLGbdOAsm36aTN2VuxSZeRDrjS9fuTSU9vQPIavIwMm-mGe-4GbeGrr0hi1X_sE1wmPEkpxHJeNlLJiIaV-Y8D-8MdpytwvuRe-D2YY_TUWQdJzhm5mw=w959-h539-s-no

Above: my new SUMO pig

But this is not a ride report about zipping around on the sumo pig. It was time to head down to the Great Rift Valley once again with Panic. Our fellow pig riding partner Wry was in the process of leading a “gumball rally” of nut job friends of his on bodabodas from Nairobi to Tanzania and back and we wanted to see the shenanigans unfold. We knew they were leaving town at 8:30 so we left at 8:30 as well with the plan to ride for an hour or two before we tried to intercept them somewhere down the Miley 46 Rd.

AJFCJaXoyT8zd5GQmZ00a01I9fVitcum70-xU-Jeonxio9JygyZggVhZAcMu8nbK34Dmqb8RPlRV0PGjoLw6Lk5RTFbTMAFGtPfDrROJQchvZv4c6aqU5D8Wzz6MM7pocoE8ijc3F3ZYAy1x_bn1vGkb3rlD5w=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Panic ripping it up

AJFCJaX7BRwZzVxxagxFKMqWCYYMyzGkuRzxT5vqlC_8YuALixo-XdwjlyfqQlbwPhle0gxcsVNF3So_6b09Bnba84Zgwxxfv5whYBvZxoQxNO4vfC9BSxwZYM-lUgfRwRaGe7lGxJUb8Fv3DAoYVhlWCTK75A=w959-h539-s-no

Above: a bit rocky heading towards Ngong Hills

We had finished a nice rocky loop and were heading down the Magadi road when we saw them gathered like a cluster of brightly coloured chickens along the roadside, there bodabodas all wearing a large cargo box on the back and painted with very distinctive and ridiculous slogans and designs. Wry had camouflaged his bike as a meat delivery bike and his mate had dressed himself in full Spartan regalia, having painted his bike, his box, his chest protector, helmet, and knee guards, in gold and wearing a red cape. It was obvious these boys were out for a good time.

AJFCJaUXZFmrO7mc3FdcOtkRYVqvdy_6jDhtIS8AwZEcRkJCZXqBSmpXaxMsPsU-7FKNb-_sTAtukBHEZSUceM8_L4wKasn01tUUkvdaibWtBQn3hYTZazU6fEHTRtOKNgFo3paiBscxcVqOpqenab719R9ijQ=w959-h539-s-no

Above: the guys at the rest stop

AJFCJaWIp8i4i-E11b1MygCWkvfA6W7fZLPNrXen9JpjNQ3i7HvdYFJpBsUDxsu063xtv4-Twb3opgBkYyNX7brkoNghroTfQt3T1OGS1gH264e3kfZ0sFfgTeMtK-eowPtEMXgB4LxqDiO_qxNYoJZRbdiipw=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Panic, Wry and me

My plan was to head out in front of the boys, get down to some rocky sections and take a bit of video and a couple of photos so that we could share with them. We took off and headed down the way. Unfortunately for me, I managed to fall down in the only mud puddle for miles right square in the middle of the road and right in front of some of the other guys on their bodas. So just imagine the big XR650R riding pig loving dude lying flat on his ass in the mud while the guys with their pikipikies looked on in amazement and amusement. It was the height of embarrassment. I had mud in my mouth and egg on my face for sure!

AJFCJaVbxn9K5kiACKyZOtzJrMhJSORLxcr8jybvY4LRs0z1W1QnSeTCp5Ya_ZOgvPYcKpjL8xs-e8C2mMjHqfjgE6K4PRzODrLw6v4XT3iLGnzUb-HdAoz4D8ZQDo7iYJw2z23jOGD2Ui4CfPeZQyWntRm96g=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Me and my mud puddle mishap. I would smell of cow shit and mud for the rest of the day! Wry would report that I also collected a heap of extra abuse around the bar that night. Fucksake. No good deed goes unpunished!

AJFCJaVzjCvYOzuqmVj0TwPjOSwxITZMPmmrggfOiTy_jHaGjXc9VYDcgvLt5wuRpjGopqCVHxW2xX4LPf6k5_ytKOSZHFkKNeNiJf11dPivPyKw4u1YZZDaNbAxX45tLrrFMnb3EzSQrx_uRspx8DfBiZ0Qsg=w959-h539-s-no

Above: We did manage to get a few pics. Here's Wry with his meat delivery getup

AJFCJaWdizU8leUpfSzwlNWl1DRsQXwgnGqwNRj7_nwu-QfUNIStSsIzWBvy7Ru6fT2u-0eMEX0m5xE1dD5UIj7B43he2u-lSO4sDVsA29cV-5p5-1gj6xNODNLE2gSusDQ002yuB8Ai-pn9F_7uOH52wAyEKA=w959-h539-s-no

Above: here goes Spartacus

AJFCJaVz1C4dp-MqWmVRjJcYc3GzxS47aUIS_DTuRs8QuXYOB-M37mo9l5RqlhD44Qk3pG-mMX7kDDTHaieKB6CDYyEECG9DrfVEvdf3oIccTvbOsDqfrdUuEamni49qhHU_qbuM38t447Z-Z9fIODKMXYTs0A=w959-h539-s-no

Above: and off they went down the bumpy road on their adventure

Watching them rattle off into the distance, it was time to continue with our ride. We decided it would be a lot better to pick a different track than to try to overtake 20 slow bodabodas jouncing madly over the rocks and stones. So, we turned around and headed down to Oltepesi where we immediately found ourselves at a dodgy bar with a beer in our hands. My finger was a bit swollen and starting to turn purple, but the beer made it feel better as did an ibuprofen. The plan was simple head up the Oltepeisi-Najile road, blasting the sandy twisty turns and smashing over the rocky sections.

AJFCJaWCAFPEsAAw1jw83lGkQH_RdT8ciRoVCo4WymFrZAb8w6Lbli7IXypCZ7zSrmQR7KSQ2hH0XnwlCyRXxDzLRhdyndSNsbtvKa56hpzQxTyd7yrGjgReAOzpr5YtFqmwBdXKZ4veTb__WC9u89g3fZZaxA=w959-h539-s-no

Above: My bruised finger (ego) beer stop

AJFCJaVq2XVOBFURS9_6xFfSKB3jptTGL2lM7PgwoK5KzOyoKECdNU1UksBTsH9bXg7rBwGNQ9_ifaqXa5fTJvz3wY7ONIcXNEHgVTLwM3SF7_sEx3AmAkN307U1nbUvzTjeJbO0lawLRvzZCc-kDN4D0cMvsQ=w959-h539-s-no

Above: a very muddy piggy at the bar

AJFCJaWV3jHrp6_XocON8fUrf1Taqxwnm8wUiVSsczYDU6i37MO79x5huddBAy5fYkg1aAbIUwuaWDEp3MR2EPKyyqO11PCb3phVHwgCmG2zzVZXjYlXgaDwXUUFrOtNF0-DOSTMimybpffzhZGUu8Y3X-k9rw=w959-h539-s-no

Above: some fun tracks through the lush green grass. This place has needed the rains and they finally got it. Cows, zebras and gazelles were all looking fat and happy.

AJFCJaWYqan_dVJZckU4zioJaV2obbUPVSLKdfnnpan8lKQyM0MqhJsCaoDRt0cuCTTXmvM7x5mPPndXrNaiM6VLEwX-c-U8AoUK_FRUXHgTqdGBtyGXrYFTDLgWloCMDhVZhWTqjHxgg29LcVT6oOAMCKrEHw=w959-h539-s-no

Above: big red pigs at the end of the Oltepesi Rd, we flew that whole section without stopping.

AJFCJaVj1IFf2Yo1U3yaDZ24vdU0j0OoUbtyU1Omunh4pPbvFH4eRaBfPhaacK3OkM8oi8CJPkAxZUpsFMWYxP1wzcavNH0vUPo8DvNfmeNCoZ1qAVvRjhTjPJRXwGaZYnA0n5MYbFT4k8CFCJL_JFlXwVNbBg=w959-h539-s-no

Above: At the Najile corner a dung beetle was intercepted by my motorbike tyre

it was at the Najile Rd turn off that things started to take decidedly negative meteorological turn. As we started racing towards our lunch stop at Viti’s bar it was clear that the skies were not going to cooperate with us anymore. At one point we decided we better don our rain jackets since it was definitely going to pound us. And it did. We rode for an hour in absolutely pouring rain with rivers flowing down the rocky or muddy paths. Far from being horrible, though, I thought it was a blast! It's been so long since I've been caught in the rain.

AJFCJaUkxTcQveg2GzW9CB9GtR6t38CpZi7oe-lJ-sGfgDp_90HOTPGQQ1dNarrTDFw4VBkFXaR9uVkVM4Rg7BeGfCo68yUIwE5wBnHYhuARZOnk_k9ZhIbPC4Bs-pc9kJVKVu4r8iyyjeBAPsWavcp7lMGkDA=w959-h539-s-no

Above: One of the river roads. Further up the way the road was completely submerged from edge to edge. You went by feel to get through it, ploughing like a clipper thorough the muddy water and submarining in spots!

AJFCJaUCDiToEiDADUXopS0WbK3gVvsaci6YUgf_0T-A4c9LdTaZfwBafzUT3t_esf3hJXwD2MmGziMVVVJz6fqEjA1NFZsPiQy62V5ztmqCA3AQriKNUm9zEss_pOJmWkeCCe6Jcw5rgvbeFvcu0f78rcfyog=w959-h539-s-no

Above: At Viti’s Bar… looks like a waterfall back there!

AJFCJaU03kAIZMzFywr-ghvn1FJiPsaj45bIHoCH0MGkRayD8YGT5kAGoLHgb9ka58ILG0g2pZfAXz_4DW91uQeM2HYqPsCGwj7rX-KpO6hN0lNyUGJ98jxiHu_s-lZOQOm8mdyKzXQnFEXqG3Ufvl2otRMgFw=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Needless to say, in a downpour you don't expect many customers. So the bar was empty. But lucky for us it was a Friday so the Nyama Choma guy had some nice goat ready to go. It was seriously delicious. And the beers were cold.

AJFCJaU2IEjYW0gZRihXzROCk6xRo9ZDt0nP44DwDjvyLoWZY6aHdE-DEpgm3zByLjesFUXHlyJ7ErVLgFtnUiqvjpvtjAoAl-udb_pEbEI4jcgZBnWfXX62Isx1FfPbQRod0T6aZpGod1sECv3xlWbNTNERzQ=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Just pissing it down. We were pressed for time so we couldn't wait for it to pass. So, out the door we went!

AJFCJaXc92Zzfg4O5D9p0YMw0Vs2hr0JFeFWZG_qcTPee9MGLukUQtkmxNoLNpQ6h_q9X1TnNPbrC0xTadgLyTpS7MEjLSdAhxbTG5WMk72AXBzvShuLO7X-hcbzPl5L3zYGzrOZ_62xzOIU_6riH6VKbnwPIA=w959-h539-s-no

Above: Panic ready to go.

We hit the tar for a bit then turned off onto our muddy track past the quarry and up to the Dagoretti Road shortcut. It was a slip-slidey miss! You have to just get used to both tyres going whichever way they want!

Home. Soaked. Ready for a hot shower and a nap! Later that night we met for beers and hashed it all over again, laughing and plotting the next ride. I'm putting a new carburettor in my XR as soon as I can bend my finger and I'll be testing it in the valley in a weeks’ time. Stay tuned!

But for now I'm dictating this to Microsoft Word because my index finger is the size of sausage!

I'm not sure how much longer I'll be contributing to this forum. The message I just received from the admins makes me think that it's not long for this world whether I contribute or not. Alas!

I love your reports, and very much hope to follow for a long time further .. be it here, or elsewhere.. keep up the good work if you can

Hey all,

I didn't mean to imply I want to leave WD, just that it seems the forum has been having financial difficulties and I personally wonder if the Ride Report style is long for this world. Barely anybody reads them and even fewer write them. I write them as a record for my mates and I to look back on in our old age and laugh at our exploits, so number of views etc is not very important to me. But I reckon it is for most. Anyway,I will continue to post here as long as I'm doing RRs.

I really wanna ride. Put in a new FCR carb and have been itching to twist it in anger!

Hey all,

I didn't mean to imply I want to leave WD, just that it seems the forum has been having financial difficulties and I personally wonder if the Ride Report style is long for this world. Barely anybody reads them and even fewer write them. I write them as a record for my mates and I to look back on in our old age and laugh at our exploits, so number of views etc is not very important to me. But I reckon it is for most. Anyway,I will continue to post here as long as I'm doing RRs.

I really wanna ride. Put in a new FCR carb and have been itching to twist it in anger!
The ride report section is about all I follow... and always have a quick look first to see if theres anything new from your side

These are always entertaining and excellent reports. Keep them coming. I am sure lots of us down here would love to come up there and do some of those rides. Maybe one day

Always love your reports: your articulate, self-deprecating irony is much appreciated by this old pig-riding dog. And always lurking beneath the braaping theatrics is your socio-economic commentary.