A Dirty Wild Dog Rides to God's Country to Visit Da Yoopers, Eh.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the look of the timber in lumberjack tavern

A pleasure to read! Beautiful pictures. Sooo wish I was there!

nice touch with the pretend boere wors (farmer sausage). looks legit. :thumleft: keep it coming please

I slept well, awoke at the butt crack of dawn, and immediately fired up the jet-boil to boil some water for a large mug of mud.  After a few sips of delicious French pressed hair on your chest campfire blend, I was wide awake and chomping on some powdered donuts, the breakfast of champions!

I was happy I’d loaded up the previous afternoon, nothing to do except deflate air mattress, tear down tent, wrap up sleeping bag, toss all in the rear cab of my bakkie and I was on the road again.

First stop was to drain the main vein of some campfire blend, in a small village named L’Anse.

I was well on my way to my next campground, Twin Lakes State Park, without a care or worry in the world.  It was a gloomy morning, the sun resisting to break through the cloud cover.  I was in no hurry whatsoever, which made for a relaxing drive.

My second stop for the day was to visit a shrine to ‘The Snowshoe Priest’, Bishop Frederic Baraga 1797-1868.. 

I always try to stop and tour these grounds when I’m visiting this part of Michigan.  I always feel a sense of peace come over me during my time here, something I don’t feel all that often.  The craftsmanship that went into creating this shrine is second to none.  I find it overwhelmingly beautiful.

I arrived at Twin Lakes State Park.  Surprisingly, there were numerous other campsites filled with seasonal campers, which was nice.  I drove around looking for which campsite I wanted and found a nice site not far from the lake, with a short hike to bathroom and shower facilities.  Then returned to the self pay kiosk to fill out the short form with CC number to reserve my site as there was no Ranger on duty.

I was chomping at the bit to go for a ride, even though it was dark and gloomy.  I unloaded the Duc, and donned my twat suit.  Fired up the Duc, which I’m quite sure the entire campground heard, lol, because soon after engaging the Duc’s starter button, I had youngin’s walking by to see just what in the hell was making such sounds. With its bucket of nails sounding open dry clutch, they couldn't figure it out.  :imaposer:

Upon exiting the campground, I gave all inhabitants what they wanted baby, what they needed baby, that's right, a symphony of internal Ducati combustion and destruction as I ran the Duc up to about buck twenty.

I had decided I wouldn’t take my heated vest with me  :biggrin:

First stop was the village of Ontanogan to drain the main vein of more Campfire Blend!

Ontonaga is the gateway village to the Porcupine Mountains and Porcupine Mountains State Park.

Porcupine Mountains

The Porcupine Mountains, or Porkies, are a group of small mountains spanning the northwestern Upper Peninsula of Michigan in Ontonagon and Gogebic counties, near the shore of Lake Superior. The area is part of the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. The Porcupine Mountains were named by the native Ojibwa people, supposedly because their silhouette had the shape of a porcupine.

History

The Porcupine Mountains were the site of copper mining in the 19th century. One of these mines is the Nonesuch Mine, which operated sporadically from 1867 to 1912. The Porkies are also the location of a large stand of old growth forest, and home to many black bears. The area is popular among tourists, especially the Lake of the Clouds in the heart of the mountains. There have been numerous bear sightings.

Geology

The most striking geological feature of the Porcupine Mountains is the long basalt and conglomerate escarpment parallel to the Lake Superior shore and overlooking Lake of the Clouds, a continuation of the same copper-bearing bedrock found farther northeast on the Keweenaw Peninsula. A second ridge farther inland, on the other side of Lake of the Clouds, includes Summit Peak, the highest point in the mountains at 1,958 feet (595 m).  Rivers, waterfalls, swamps, and lakes lie between the rocky outcroppings. There are a number of waterfalls on the Presque Isle River in the extreme western side of the park.

The mountains are subject to heavy lake-effect snow from Lake Superior. The relatively high elevation of the mountains and their proximity to the lake provide perfect conditions for lake-effect snow, but no official records are maintained anywhere in the mountains. The closest National Weather Service station is in the coastal community of Ontonagon, where the annual average is about 200 inches (510 cm). Totals of well over 250 inches (640 cm) annually are likely in the higher elevations. It is not uncommon to have 300-inch (760 cm) seasons in this region.

Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park

The Porcupine Mountains are home to the most extensive stand of old growth northern hardwood forest in North America west of the Adirondack Mountains, spanning at least 31,000 acres (13,000 ha). In these virgin forests, sugar maple, American basswood, eastern hemlock, and yellow birch are the most abundant tree species.

Porcupine Mountains State Park was established in 1945 to protect this large stand of old-growth forest, much of "maple-hemlock"type. In 1972, Michigan passed the Wilderness and Natural Areas Act. This act gave the park the new designation of the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. The facilities provided by the park include an extensive network of backcountry trails for hiking and wilderness backpacking, rustic trailside cabins, modern campgrounds, swimming and boating areas, and various interpretive programs led by park rangers. The North Country Trail passes through the park, making up a portion of the 87 miles (140 km) of hiking trails. In the winter, a ski area also operates within the park. Because of the copper mining history of the park, it is a cooperating unit of Keweenaw National Historical Park.

From an overlook on Lake Superior.  It was so cold near the big lake.  I wish’d I’d brought that heated vest, burrrrrrrr!

I made my way to the Lake of the Clouds scenic area visitor center.

Parked the Duc, grabbed the Canon out of the tank bag, and made my way up the ramp to begin the hike to the overlook.

At the beginning of the hiking trail up to the scenic bluff overlooking Lake of the Clouds, one has two choices to get to the trail start, a ramp or stairs.  I chose the ramp, which just a few minutes prior a large family had used.  As I was walking on the ramp, I looked down and to my surprise I saw a 50 dollar bill wrapped up to about the size of a piece of chewing gum.  I picked it up saying to myself finders keepers, I was so happy thinking about what I’d spend the 50 bucks on, perhaps a couple nice dinners with drinks for the next 2 evenings!

Well, during my hike up to the scenic overlook, which takes quite a bit of time to climb, my conscience kicked in.  Amazing how our conscience works on we humans.  On one shoulder, the little devil saying things like, hey, you found it, it’s yours, keep it, spend it, if you lost a fifty dollar bill, nobody else would give it back, they’d keep it too!!!  The angel standing on the other shoulder saying, it’s not your money, someone else earned the money, it’s their money even if they accidentally dropped it.

So, by the time I’d hiked up to the scenic overlook, my conscience was killing me, the angel won!!

There were probably 30-40 people on the bluff, so I spoke up and said folks, I have an announcement to make.  Knowing full well if I announced I found a 50 dollar bill on the ramp at the bottom of the mountain, who lost it, there’d be many takers, lol, I decided to tell the people I’d found something very small but very valuable on the ramp, but only the rightful owner will know what it is.

Everyone checked their pockets.  Only one person, a nice grandma, spoke up and said, I sure did.  She told me she’d reached in her shorts pocket to retrieve a piece of bubble gum for her granddaughter, and lost a folded up fifty dollar bill.  I handed her the money, everyone present was in amazement I hadn’t just pocketed the money.  She was part of the large family who’d just used the ramp a few minutes before I used it.  Her family told me I had to be one of the most honest people they’d ever met, and nobody does that kind of thing anymore.  It was a feel good moment for me and it WAS the RIGHT thing to do. 

Here’s a few photographs of Lake of the Clouds.  It’s an incredible place visit if you ever happen to find yourself in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

My pics don’t do the place justice as I had dark n gloomy skies overhead.  When sunlight shines on the Lake it is even more beautiful.

Here are pics of the mountain streams feeding Lake of the Clouds.