A new take on Prepsol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steady

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I am a great believer in this stuff, even use it on clothing if need be.

However.

Started using it on my mountain bike some years ago and encountered all sorts of problems which I eventually put down to Prepsol eating at rubber seals. No support from the Prepsol fanatics. Eventually when I got a new bicycle I vowed to spare the very thin light components from the pink stuff.

Store the prepsol in a 25 lt container with a tap in the bottom which hangs over a small sink in a store room. Few weeks ago I notice that the sink trap is leaking and the "seal" on the sink has been "eaten" away :eek7: Then I notice that the velvaglo paint on the shelf below the sink trap is coming off as if paint stripper has been used on it. The only use for the sink is to wash the small amount of Prepsol drips from the drum tap away, nothing  else goes down that drain.

I will paint some prepsol onto a painted surface and leave to see if the prepsol is really responsible but I am sure it is the culprit.

Not sure if I am such a fan anymore.