Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This photo was taken from the Italian restaurant.

Attachments

• 436.jpg
    436.jpg
    367.5 KB
Phillip Flap said:
Thank you for a very interesting read and great Photo's.....
Keep it coming.....
Thank's mate, I will keep it coming till day 40. There are some very nice photo's coming when I report about Mozambique.

Me again  :D 
It really puts a dampner on ones trip when the locals start with their bribes and scams and it's a pity coz you start doubting all of there good intentions.
Have really enjoyed your RR. Looking forward to more.

wildside said:
Me again  :D 
It really puts a dampner on ones trip when the locals start with their bribes and scams and it's a pity coz you start doubting all of there good intentions.
Have really enjoyed your RR. Looking forward to more.
Hi Karen I suppose one just have to handle that too, with hindsight maybe I should have just stayed another day. You guys have really been ripped off badly especially at the Zim border and I feel for you as one need every cent when traveling. Regards Schalk

Wow, what a RR this is Schalk, I only stumbled on it 6hrs ago and have read every word !

Yes TIA isn't it ... it can be so inspiring at times with the honestly and joy in the eyes of 200 kids, and then the bastards that have rank and nothing but corruption on their minds. I can but imagine what the rest of this fine report has in store ... classic stuff !

Looking forward to the next 13 days.

Lekker.

8)

I feel zackly the same as you Schalk wrt bribery and payoffs. My desire to explore Africa is thwarted by the monkeys that abuse their authority to scam people. They will harm tourism, much like the Dakar moving to South America.

Great RR :thumleft:

White Rhino said:
I feel zackly the same as you Schalk wrt bribery and payoffs. My desire to explore Africa is thwarted by the monkeys that abuse their authority to scam people. They will harm tourism, much like the Dakar moving to South America.

Hi White Rhino this was the only place where we had a bribe issue and we went through all other borders and hundreds of road blocks with no problem. I think it also depends a lot on ones attitude. Although bribery is a negative thing dont let it keep you from seeing Africa, it still is a worth while experience to travel the countries north of our borders. I have been ask for a bribe many times in SA but never paid one and never will. If you refuse to pay a bribe they cant give you a ticket as you would have his name then and you can go and report him then. Thanks for reading, some more good stuff is coming-Schalk.

schalk vd merwe said:
White Rhino said:

Hi White Rhino this was the only place where we had a bribe issue and we went through all other borders and hundreds of road blocks with no problem. I think it also depends a lot on ones attitude. Although bribery is a negative thing dont let it keep you from seeing Africa, it still is a worth while experience to travel the countries north of our borders. I have been ask for a bribe many times in SA but never paid one and never will. If you refuse to pay a bribe they cant give you a ticket as you would have his name then and you can go and report him then. Thanks for reading, some more good stuff is coming-Schalk.
Thanks - good to hear that it's not pervasive. I'm dead keen to explore our African land :thumleft:

Day 30                    3/01/2011                            Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam.
The next day we were up early as the same taxi driver was going to pick us up and take us to the harbour to catch the 6 am ferry. As promised he arrived on time just as we walked outside. While driving to the harbour I gave him the key for our rental car and asked him to hang on to it till I phone him from Dar es Salaam later during the day. The Muslim taxi driver by the name of Alf Sharif Ali was by now like a friend and an ally to us. He dropped us off and we took the first ferry which was identical to the one that we came with. The one day to the Island cost us 10 % of our 40 day budget and would have been worth the money if it was not for the rip off. When we arrived in Dar es Salaam we took a taxi to the hotel where we booked into the same room as before. We got onto the bikes set the GPS for the South African Embassy and off we went. After arriving at the Embassy they introduced us to an Ms vd Merwe who was extremely helpful and a immediately send emails to all the relevant parties including to the Tanzanian government. She made a phone available to us to phone the taxi driver in order to tell him to give the keys to the guy who “hired” us the car. It is at least nice to know that when you are in a foreign country help is at hand should you need it against unfair practices. From here we went to Shoprite to replenish our food supplies for the rest of the trip as it would be mainly camping from here on. We then went to look for a bike mechanic to shorten the chain on Juan's bike as it was a solid chain with no removable links. The chain was stretched to the point that we could not adjust it any more. We found a street mechanic and he did quit a good job by grinding three links out and bought us a removable link. I had a spare link but wanted to keep it in case of a break down further on our trip. From here we went to a bank to change our Kenyan shillings which we still had to Tanzanian money. That was the end to a fairly eventful day in Africa. 

Latest posts