Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 31    4/01/2011   Dar es Salaam--Kilwa Masoko        Distance  417Km.
We were still about 5000 km from home and having done over 8000 Km to date it was time to hit the road. We first went to fill up fuel nearby. As we stopped a guy approached me and offered to buy my jacket. Throughout the trip people wanted to buy our gear as nothing is available in their countries. Some want to buy our boots and some wants to buy my body protector others want buy our helmet or even our bikes. As my jacket was strapped to my luggage and I hardly wore it as it was too hot, I then sold it for R 550 to this over the moon happy gentleman. I think if you ship a container of 2nd hand bikers gear up you will sell it within a week. As I wanted to make up time a bit in order to build a rest day in I told Juan that we will have to push a little bit. Throughout the trip we never had arguments except that I want to go a little faster on the tar roads. I wanted to travel at least at 120 Kph and Juan wanted to do 100 Kph. So in the end we agreed that today we are going to push a bit. We were about 100 km out of Dar es Salaam when I saw Juan falling behind again. I thought well today I am just going to keep my speed and after I could not see Juan's head light any more I just carried on for another one and a half hours at 120. I must have travelled 180 Km since the last time I saw his head light and I then stopped and left my bike on the tar road and walked to the garage just off the road to buy two cold drinks. I then went and sat under a tree drinking my cold drink while watching the road. An hour and fifteen minutes went past and no Juan. I started to get worried and as I had a Tanzanian Sim card in my phone I then phoned my wife in Johannesburg to tell her that I lost Juan. “What do you mean you lost Juan” she said. I then remembered that we forgot to tell my wife that if something like this should happen the ruling would be that we would both phone her and tell her where we are. She was now in a state because I lost our child and I must say I was also getting a bit worried. “What if he fell off?” played through my mind. By now I was waiting next to the road for one and a half hours and even if Juan was traveling at 80 Kph he should have been there by now. Just then a bus stopped and a Tanzanian man jumped out and said in broken English “O your friend had puncture there” I said to him “how far” and he said “O 15 kilometre's”. He then jumped back on the bus and off they went. This again amazed me as they are so helpful. As Juan carried the food and I carried the tools I knew that he is stuck. So I turned around and travelled back 15 Km but no Juan, so I travelled 20 km no Juan 30 Km no Juan 40 Km no Juan. The guy said 15 Km and I have done 40 now and I thought well I will try another 5 Km and then I don't know. As the 45 Km came up I saw Juan sitting in the heat under a tree with the bike on a piece of timber and the rear wheel already out. So the morel of the story on a trip like this is stay together. As we fitted the tyres our self's before the trip as a practice run we knew exactly what to do. We broke the beat with my bikes side stand and removed the one side of the tyre in order to remove the tube. We try to feel the tube then but there was no tube. I could not believe it. I then said to Juan let's take the tyre completely off the rim and see what is going on? What followed was unbelievable. It was about 48 degrees hot or more that day and the whole tube was melted including the rubber band around the spokes with the tube now just in a bundle. (See photos below) A nail was sticking into the tyre and what seems to happen is this. The expensive heavy duty Michelin tube have melted inside of the tyre before and sealed all the spokes as there was rubber around each spoke end, the rubber boll that formed by now had been sliding around in the tyre and only started to leak when Juan picked up the nail in the tyre. I heard after the trip from a tyre expert that heavy duty tubes are not meant for riding on tar as the friction build up and the tube gets too hot. We then managed to get a piece of bicycle tube from the locals and put it around and over the spokes and then fitted a new tube which I brought along. We carried Sunlight liquid which helped to slip the tyre over the rim and in no time we were mobile again. We arrived at Kilwa Masoko on the Indian Ocean after traveling through about 3 km of sea sand. We booked into a chalet right on the beach a few metres from the water. The owner was from Denmark and is married to a Tanzanian lady. The waiter brought us some cold ones (unusual for Africa) while we were sitting on the beach just after sunset. That night we had some really good Calamari and the prices for the food and accommodation was reasonable. We did 417 Km for the day and taking all the pelaba in account for the day it was not too bad.                

The melted Michelin heavy duty tube, see the melted tube rubber on the spokes.

Attachments

• 450.jpg
    450.jpg
    376 KB
Oops sorry........that's not Kingsley getting in touch with his feminan side ....its actually from Karen (wildside) ;D. I was on the wrong computer!!!! :-\

Ian in Great Brak River said:
Today I've learnt two things: HD tubes are not for long distance on tar and Sunlight liquid is great for re assembling tyres.

:thumleft:
Yes I believe HD tubes are only for off road where there are thorns etc. The Sunlight Liquid you use with water to get the tyre over the rim.

Day 32     5/01/2011     Kilwa Masoko------Msimbah Village  400 Km

The next morning in the dining room after breakfast we met a Belgium lady by the name of Erica Rottiers who have been hitch hiking all over Africa and has also been to South Africa previously. With her was a friend not her boyfriend Dieter Demeyer who just came to visit for a week also from Belgium. Erica knew every little place and thought that we are crazy to travel so fast through the continent. She lost her hart in Mozambique and even bought a little house there in a village. As I love to chat to adventurers we chatted till after 11 am where we said good bye at the dining room. Juan and I went to load our bikes and to our surprise they came to our chalet again before we left. Dieter hinted that Erica would love to go back to Mozambique but as our bike were really full there was no ways that either of us could give her a lift. She did however give us handy info on where to camp and cross the border into Mozambique. We wanted to try and cross the border still that day and the way you cross it is by loading your bike in to a little fishing boat and then cross the 2 km river mouth into Mozambique. The alternative is a 400 km detour. We then said our goodbyes for the 2nd time and left. We arrived at the river late afternoon and rode through the border control without knowing it as the border control is 3 km before the river. We tried to negotiate a reasonable rate but as usual the price was crazy. I said to Juan that we should go and look for a camp site and come back the following day and try to negotiate a better rate or if they don't want to budge then we do the 400km detour. We rode the 3 km back to the border control and apologised for riding through and told them we will be back the next day. We then went to camp right on the beach at a place that Erica had recommended. We pitch our tents and our host made us dinner and put a table for us on the beach with a parafine lamp on the table and I must say it was very nice. Our guard for the night also had a bow and arrow as a defence weapon just like the guard in Mpanda on day 16. I suppose there is method in their madness as all our stuff was still there the next morning.        

After breakfast with Erica Rottiers and Dieter Demeyer from Belgium. Erica has hitched hiked all over Africa by her self.

Attachments

• 455.jpg
    455.jpg
    317.8 KB

Latest posts