Back roads near Barrydale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eikeboom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
It was short notice...

On Friday morning Alec sms'd  "we have been invited to a farm somewhere between Barrydale and Ladysmith, friend Brian is there to take care of the place while the owners are on holliday overseas". His message was a lot shorter of course, having been taught by his 2 teenage kids.
The plan was that his son would take dad's steed, as Camryn's old XT250 is still in the process of being built up. Alec and the missus would go by cage late Sat afternoon, meeting us there.

The two of us were ready to go by Sat morning 11:00, from my house:

10055441.jpg

It was Camryn's very first adventure trip, hence the formalities... Dad was jealous of course, having to travel in a cage. I knew it was going to be far and strenious for him, but I said nothing, not wanting to put anyone off.  :mwink: He's been looking forward to something like this for a loooooong time.

At the Theewaterskloof dam we saw the first snow of the season on the Boland mountains:

10055451.jpg

On the way to Robertson we took the Koppies gravel road through the farms of course, gently introducing the young chap to this type of riding and the environment (he liked it of course). We took it easy, stopping often to drink in the crisp scenery and enjoying the moment.  ;D

Some more snow near Villiersdorp:

10055491.jpg

The going was good, and soon we went onto the Skerpenheuwel road through the farms (in good condition - damp and hard packed).

Still on the way to Robertson:

10055501.jpg

I immediately noticed the steep track up the mountain in the upper left corner of the photo above, and I was suddenly very interested... :mwink: A little further on it was clear that it was a private road - we passed a helluva high fence with a big gate, clearly some game farm.

In the Kogmans Kloof at Montague:

10055521.jpg

The geologic forces went wild here, possibly some 500 million years ago (can't remember well), causing the Cape Fold Belt to form. Subsequent erosion exposed this beauty for us.

At Montague we refilled and bought pies (the packet of Rennies was thrown in for free). We asked around about the back roads to Barrydale and Ladysmith, as I knew only the R62. At the SAPS the friendly policemen showed us their new map of the district - having a better idea of where to go, we were off.

Of course I was unsure of whether we should take the chance to go by gravel road - I had only an idea where the farm was, not sure on which turnoff from Route 62 after Barrydale, it was getting late and I was responsible for another man's son, who was incidentally an inexperienced rider with only the morning's gravel roads up his sleeve. I did not know the area and had no idea what the condition of the road would be like. All I knew was that it had rained in the area till about 2 days ago! I have no GPS and my travel atlas has the fold right here.
But what the hell it was weekend, the Boks are playing right now, an adventure in itself (I only watched the game on Monday night) and I was NOT lus for a tar road full of mad Capetonians. So...
By this time it was already 2.30 or 3 pm and we moved on.

More to follow...

Nice one. I will be in Barrydale in September.

Nice, looking forward to the rest. I will also remember to pop a golf ball into your place the next time I play across the street :)

Just outside Montague, before the Ouberg Pass:

10055551.jpg

Some km's onward:

10055571.jpg

The road was fantastic. Here and there was a small stream crossing, probably dry for most of the year. The scenery kept on changing - then it's open plains, then koppies, then its into small valleys where the road snakes alongside rivers. One thing that was noticeable was how many old farm houses stood alongside the road, seemingly abandoned.

The snow peak far in the distance is probably Towerkop behind Ladismith:

10055601.jpg

From here on I didn't take any more photos, which is a pity because the land became more beautiful with each passing mile (or 1.609344 km  ???) as the road curved towards the mountains. But it was getting late and I didn't know how far to go still. Maybe I should have taken the previous turnoff to Barrydale, but never mind, we pushed on knowing that we would land up at Ladismith and would then need to come back on the tar road to our destination.

At the Platberg turnoff we asked two locals where the roads end up. Just as it was getting dark we happened to pass the farm gate where our host was waiting for us, reacting on a hunch that we would be arriving any minute. Unknowingly we took just the right turnoff.
After another hour Alec and Carmen arrived, the cabin packed to the brim but with nothing at the back.
We had a great jol that evening.

The next morning we drove into the game reserve nearby, seeing these two:

10056021.jpg

By 1 pm we hit the road back home again:

10056031.jpg

We rode all the way back on tar  :mad:  Would have loved to take another long route with dirt roads, but it will have to be another time.

I passed Robertson Heights  :biggrin:

10056041.jpg

before turning off onto the dirt road again taking a sort of a shortcut towards Villiersdorp.

Found these graves alongside the road, in the middle of nowhere:

10056051.jpg

I'm looking forward to the next trip, glad this one was uneventful.
Cameron did great!

I did 630 km's, at an average of 23 km/l, highest speed 130 km/h.

Hoekom de moer kan ek nou nie die fotos sien nie? Dit was reg na ek dit gepost het! Kan julle die fotos sien???? :patch:

eikeboom said:
Hoekom de moer kan ek nou nie die fotos sien nie? Dit was reg na ek dit gepost het! Kan julle die fotos sien???? :patch:

only two pics....

when you point your browser directly to te imageshack URL's you get a permission denied. Looks like Imageshack has a problem or the URL's are somehow incorrect....

Imageshack ULR's ???

I see two piccies in the OP and one in reply 7.

Nice report.  :thumleft:

I hope you don't mind but I inserted the new picture URL's in you original posts.