Oukloof - Our experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardy de Kock

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
It is Thursday 16 November and I am up at 02h45. I am an early riser but I am still tired and I have not had good sleep the last couple of days.
Unfortunately I am one of those that find it impossible to go back to sleep once I am awake.
Eskom will be reminding us of their impotence in little over an hour and there is a lot to do before the sun is up.
Coffee, cigarette and my checklist in hand I attempt to find something that we might have forgotten to pack. Luckily the team did their work and after a few minutes I can sit back and relax.

Today we will meet old friends in a place that we often go to when we need a break from work. Our team is planning a few events for 2024 and in order for us to make sure we hit the nail first time with the routes and tracks, we called in some big guns for help.

- Hennie Roos, Martin Harmse and his brother Brian will drive in from East London.
- @twister and @Losper will drive from Bloemfontein
- @Kees will drive in from Stilbaai
- @PK will drive from George
- @Beserker will drive with one of our team members @hartebees from Cape Town
- @Parkinoff was supposed to come too - unfortunately he had a family emergency and could not make it.

Alan, Sharon, Chantal and myself would leave from Loxton and will in all likelihood be on the farm before the others arrive.
I have also decided to take my dogs with - Diesel and Pepsi will have to share a ride with Chantal. Diesel is way too big to sit in the front of a Cruiser.
I am worried about Diesel and his protective instincts. He has chowed my mom once - just about 15 minutes after she told me that dogs only bite bad people. He has also taught our neighbor some manners when the nozy neighbor waltzed into my house without knocking.
I remember thinking it will be a job and a half to keep him away from our friends for the entire weekend.
Anyway - I will wing it was my parting thought before I poured another coffee.

We left at exactly 07h00 am and made good time. From Loxton you head towards Frazerburg for 45km before you turn left at Brandfontein. From here you drive past Duck and Dive holiday farm, over the Sakrivierpoort crossing until you get to the Beaufort - Frazerburg connection road where you turn right. Another 50km on this beautiful undulating Karoo road leads you to the 120 degree Oukloof junction to your left.
At this point you can clearly see the top of Tafelkop in the distance and I find myself driving a little faster than I should.

1700550827316.png