Bike Fest 2011 - Photos and the story so far...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome pics and report guys! thanks! best wishes and a speedy recovery to the lady who had an off!

Wow what a weekend!

Malcolm on a K1200S and myself on a R1200GS agreed to go to Oudtshoorn for the BMW bikefest.
Taking full advantage of the long weekend we decided to take a more scenic route down.

Map.jpg

Day 1
We left on Thursday the 21st at around 09h00 and travelled south towards the Lesotho boarder. Keeping up with Malcolm was  challenging as he maintains a fast pace.

We maintained a good pace going south until we encountered some of the worst potholes I have ever seen in my life. After dodging potholes for miles and miles, the roads became so bad that the oncoming traffic started veered into our lane to avoid potholes in their lanes. On several occasions we had to decide weather to hit the pothole or the oncoming [strike]car[/strike] taxi that suddenly swerved into our lane.

Then we entered I was impressed that my GS kept up with the K1200S, but at that pace the fuel only lasted 200km before running out. I discovered that the estimate range on BMW's do in fact go into the negatives, the GS showed a estimate reading of -10km before we eventually found a petrol station. :woohoo:

IMAG0075-1.jpg

IMAG0076-1.jpg

IMAG0078-1.jpg

Day 2
After a good breakfast we proceeded to Graaf Reniet and met up with guys from Club Central who were also on their way to the bike fest. We rode up to the Valley of Desolation and were presented with an amazing view.

The vertical cliffs and columns of dolerite that teeter precariously 120 metres above the valley floor are breathtaking. This unusual feature is the product of volcanic and erosive forces that have taken 100 million years to form. They stand sentry over a valley - huge isolated hobgoblins of nature, forcing those who view them to suspend time, if only for a moment, to contemplate the force and beauty of nature.
IMAG0082-1.jpg

IMAG0083-1.jpg

IMAG0084-1.jpg

IMAG0085-1.jpg

IMAG0086-1.jpg

IMAG0087-1.jpg

IMAG0088-1.jpg

IMAG0089-1.jpg

IMAG0093-1.jpg

IMAG0094-1.jpg

IMAG0095-1.jpg

IMAG0096-1.jpg

IMAG0097-1.jpg

IMAG0098-1.jpg

IMAG0099-1.jpg

IMAG0100-1.jpg

IMAG0101-1.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

We finally made it to Oudtshoorn there were BMW bikes everywhere you looked so we knew were were in the right place. The front of my bike looked like a huge fly swatter, there were dead bugs all over the front. I also discovered that my front left indicator got taken out by a stone. Thank God for LED's, the cover was broken but the light still worked. 
IMAG0107.jpg

Day 3
I was supposed to hook up with George and Andrew from Club Central at the gate of the bikefest at 8:00 to join them on the outride but was a bit late and they were no where to been seen. A bunch of Capetonians took me in and we set off to do the Kamannasie - Prince Alfred`s Pass - Sewepasse - Kom se Pad route.
After about 5 km of dirt I got comfortable until a tank slapper gave me a rude awakening. Fortunately I remembered Marnus' advice and opened up preventing disaster.
The dirt roads were actually very good and the scenery was outstanding.
Day1.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

At the bottom of price Albert's pass we stopped at a little pub called Angie's G-Spot. Angie and Harold made us feel right at home, after a couple of beers we headed off to the Knysna forests.
IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

Day 4
Day2.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

Day 5
Kimberly
IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

Hey Slug how about getting a bigger camera on the next trip?! :mwink: :imaposer:

Geeez bud that's like looking through bino's the wrong way round ??? :imaposer: :imaposer:

Hi Slug

Nice pics, try to upload to Photobucket size on longest side 800pix.
Then select and generate link codes - choose full size and upload- this will have a very nice pic to view instantly-
like this:

_MG_3051.jpg

chicco said:
chicco said:
Congrats to Sheza for winning the big guy competition, Geronimo was second....both wild dogs.

die ou met die grootste hande

Hey Chicco, dis J-mo nie Geronimo nie. Jy moes daar gewees het. Ek hoor kwagga se jy's bietjie groen van jalosie. :pot:

Mr. Shesha only beat me with that crazy thumb of his. My four fingers were about 3mm longer than Shesha's but that thumb, sh...t I never saw a thumb like that in my life.

Shesha you only beat me by the thumb Bro. Next time we must exclude the thump to make the playfield even. :biggrin:

I've started a lil ride report and downloaded all my video clips on my external hard drive.....and then it crashed. My whole trip to hell and back is down the drain. I'm going to see our IT guy tomorrow to see if we can recover some of it.

I'll post what i've left tomorrow. :thumleft:

Pieter Willering said:

:thumleft: Sepia just has a special way of bringing out a photo in it's best possible way. Gr8 photo ;) :thumleft: :thumleft:

J-mo said:
chicco said:
chicco said:
Congrats to Sheza for winning the big guy competition, Geronimo was second....both wild dogs.

Mr. Shesha only beat me with that crazy thumb of his. My four fingers were about 3mm longer than Shesha's but that thumb, sh...t I never saw a thumb like that in my life.

Hey J-mo .. you get home ok ... we just got home ... man the wind bitch slapped us all the way from PE to Kokstad ... real windy

About the thumb ,,, try the pro extender ... works great for the thumb too  :thumleft:

shesha said:
J-mo said:
chicco said:
chicco said:

Hey J-mo .. you get home ok ... we just got home ... man the wind bitch slapped us all the way from PE to Kokstad ... real windy

About the thumb ,,, try the pro extender ... works great for the thumb too  :thumleft:

Yes, I'm staying in PE. We were 2 hours away from home where we met up with you and yours at Storms river bridge. Staying in PE I got used to the wind.

Looks like I have to buy myself a pair of Richa gloves. I'm glad Goose could not get me a 3xl from the UK, because it's too small. Luckely they make a black Richa glove in a size 4xl. :thumleft:

It was nice meeting you at the bike fest. I also met Sandban(g)k and two ladies and a gent but I forgot their names as I was still in Hell with my mind occupied getting out. ;D

Who were you guys?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-897982.jpg
    vlcsnap-897982.jpg
    90.8 KB
  • vlcsnap-900778.jpg
    vlcsnap-900778.jpg
    85.2 KB
This was my best decision yet this year to join the 2011 BMW bike fest. It was awesome, well organised and well executed.

To Celia and the rest, I take my hat off for you guys for all the organizing.

It started out on Thursday afternoon at about 14:30 when myself and Mrs. J-Mo got ready to leave PE. We were very excited as it was her first time on such an adventure.

0001dn.jpg

Our first stop was at Kareedouw for a late lunch at the Sweaty Dutchman.

0002tz.jpg

From there it was the long trek on Route 62, filled up at the Engen in Joubertina  and did 42km before a turnoff to the right onto our first dirt road. We had some 29km on this road, a beautiful winding road through a very scenic part of the Karoo.

Excuse the overexposure.

0003pq.jpg

0004e.jpg

0005jr.jpg

0006qyz.jpg

0007hho.jpg

0008e.jpg

0009ro.jpg

0010um.jpg

0011y.jpg

0012e.jpg

Arriving at Mountain Pastures, our overnighter, we were freezing as a cold front hit the place. Our inners were nicely tucked away in the panniers somewhere, so that did'nt help at all.

We did not know what to expect as the brochures on the website always looks much better than the real thing. We were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of this farm.  Mountain Pastures is a game farm and one of the few farms with TB free buffalo.

The view from our Cabin.

00014nm.jpg

The Cabins, single room with its own bathroom, stoep and fireplace. A very nice setup.

0015i.jpg

Our bikes had under roof parking.

0020hc.jpg

We had an awesome 3 course meal shared with our companions Kwaga and his wife.

0045l.jpg

Myself and Mrs. J-Mo

0055v.jpg

On our way out after dinner, we heard a noise behind us. Not knowing if there are more of the big five on the farm we had a huge fright. We discovered a Buffalo calf pushing against us. Luckily we were informed beforehand that they raised a Buffalo calf by hand so we did not had to worry about Mom somewhere in the vicinity.

I immediately thought of Lil Harry the buffalo.  Harry, if lil Harry needs a girlfriend, here is one good looking gal and she’s got attitude.

0025y.jpg

0030h.jpg

0035s.jpg

0040r.jpg

After a coffee we all went to bed and had a good night’s rest, only to wake up in the coldest morning I’ve experienced in years. It’s the first time since we’ve left Gauteng that I saw frost again.

0080n.jpg

The deck overlooking the pond

0085v.jpg

Chopped reeds

0090tl.jpg

Frozen log

0095o.jpg

Grass

0105lx.jpg

Some more pics of the farm.

0065ru.jpg

0070o.jpg

0075jx.jpg

0100yx.jpg

0110a.jpg

0115z.jpg

The morning  started with fruit and yogurt, followed by cereal and ended with one huge farm breakfast.

0120n.jpg

View from the dinning room

0121t.jpg

More Pics of the villan that attack us the previous night.

0125f.jpg

Whispering sweet nothings into her ear

0130u.jpg

I also wanted a pic with a buffalo.

0135b.jpg

Before we left for Outshoorn, we were treated with a game drive. The Buffalo were already over the mountain, so we missed them, but there were plenty Springbuck, Blesbuck, Burch ell’s Zebra, Ostriches, Fallow deer and a lone  Oryx.

0145y.jpg

0150r.jpg

0155.jpg

0160v.jpg

I don’t know if all women are like that but as soon as she gets a signal on her cell phone,  the kids have to be phoned to ensure they’re OK.

0165n.jpg

More of the farm

0170a.jpg

0175a.jpg

0180m.jpg

0185p.jpg

0190a.jpg

0195t.jpg

Arriving back at the ranch.

0200o.jpg

All good things had to get to an end, so it was time for the trek to Outshoorn.

I will recommend Mountain Pastures any time. It’s a very nice setup, the hospitality of the people and staff was outstanding, good stay, good food and very much affordable.

snapshot1u.jpg

snapshot2d.jpg

snapshot3i.jpg

snapshot4v.jpg

snapshot5da.jpg

snapshot6h.jpg

snapshot7t.jpg

Arrival at the bike fest to register.

0205t.jpg

Myself and Kwaga.

0210.jpg

0211z.jpg

The rest will follow soon as I’m still sorting out my video’s.

chicco said:
nice J mo, sorry you guys couldnt do biviaans, see you in June.

Ons kon die nie oor ons harte kry om dit sonder jou te doen nie. :imaposer:

Nee, dit was te koud, die wind te sterk en dit het te hard gereen. Ons het ten minste probeer, maar het net 20km anderkant Humansdorp gekom toe is ons wind uit. Klink my Kwaga gaan nou 'n trailer koop en sy bike afsleep hierna toe. Hy't te veel na die Laaities verlang, so hy wil hulle saam bring volgende keer.

Moet se ek was verbaas hoe Kwaga ontdooi het in die Hel. Ek kon skaars bybly toe ons uitkom. Hy was op 'n stadium soos 'n wafferse renperd, oopneusgate deur die laaste gedeelte van die hel op pad na Prins Albert.

Dit was vrek lekker. Sien uit na die volgende trip. Hoop jy kan dit maak.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

J-mo said:
chicco said:

Nee, dit was te koud, die wind te sterk en dit het te hard gereen. Ons het ten minste probeer, maar het net 20km anderkant Humansdorp gekom toe is ons wind uit. Klink my Kwaga gaan nou 'n trailer koop en sy bike afsleep hierna toe. Hy't te veel na die Laaities verlang, so hy wil hulle saam bring volgende keer.

Moet se ek was verbaas hoe Kwaga ontdooi het in die Hel. Ek kon skaars bybly toe ons uitkom. Hy was op 'n stadium soos 'n wafferse renperd, oopneusgate deur die laaste gedeelte van die hel op pad na Prins Albert.

Dit was vrek lekker. Sien uit na die volgende trip. Hoop jy kan dit maak.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

dit is daai nuwe tyres en skoene van hom....

chicco said:
J-mo said:
chicco said:

dit is daai nuwe tyres en skoene van hom....

:imaposer: :imaposer:

Hy was baie impress met sy bande. Ek moet sê, sy bootse was 'n goeie koop. Hy kon nie uitgepraat raak oor jou "connections" wat hom so goeie "deal" gegee het nie.  :thumleft:

We also went through Bavaainskloof, Swartberg Mountains and Die Hell on Saturday on our way from Durban to Capetown.
I have to confess that we cheated and used the Ford truck. My wife and I were really impressed by the tough
ladies riding their big BMW's down the Swartberg pass. One thing no one has mentioned is that as well as
lots of BMW's the place is crawling with wildlife, especially Klipspringer:

Hogg2011_0423KlipBav.jpg

some of them are really curious

Hogg2011_04CrockHopper.jpg

like this cape rock hopper

Hogg2011_04KlipSwart.jpg

some just cold

Hogg2011_04KuduBav.jpg

surprised

Hogg2011_04OnDrugsBav.jpg

or all definitely on drugs.

Ian Hogg 29/4/11