chicco's recce ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Saturday was recce ride. Chicco and Winston are putting on a ride in Zululand for some of the guteng dawgs and they wanted to plot some of the route. So after a quick couple of calls 6 of us meet nice and early (7am) to follow the intrepped leader out into the unkown. I for one had no idea where we were going or what lay ahead of us.

The six recce dawgs
Chicco (KTM990) Raymond (XT600E) Me (KTM950)
ChiccoRide008.jpg

Winston (KLR650) Philp (KLR650) Dale (Dakkie)
ChiccoRide009.jpg

The day started riding through the sugar cane along some good gravel roads and sandy tracks, then along side the railway line, under and over a couple of bridgers.

Quick smoke break while waiting for Dale who was having a friendly chat to some farmer  :mwink:

ChiccoRide002.jpg

After this we headed out into the reserve and into the valleys of Zululand. The riding he is just fantastic. Thee gravel roads have no flat sections, you are either going up or down with lots of corners amd twists. Very interesting riding but you need to keep an eye open for cows, dogs, people, cars, taxis, buses  :biggrin:

Pic of one of the valleys, chicco and winston having a chat on the route

ChiccoRide040.jpg

True to form there was a small water crossing to do along the way.  :thumleft: and some sand to play in.
The entry point

ChiccoRide014.jpg

Dale making his way across after all the rest

ChiccoRide005.jpg

Group smoke break (thanks from the only two smokers  ;) )

ChiccoRide007.jpg

Then came along a elderly mama that was going to cross the river, so winston said that I should give her a lift as I was going to go do the crossing again for some pics. Ok I think while worry about dropping the two of us and the bike in the drink and many drowning all.  :biggrin:

She was a very good pillion, no fear shown  :thumleft:

ChiccoRide018.jpg

Then I came back after unloading the mamasan
Shallow section

ChiccoRide028.jpg

The deep section

ChiccoRide032.jpg

Chicco our leader having a look see where next ride...

ChiccoRide045.jpg

Then it was on the way to Ongye Forest along some great gravel roads and single tracks

ChiccoRide047.jpg

ChiccoRide048.jpg

some of the tracks in the Ongye forest

ChiccoRide052.jpg

ChiccoRide052.jpg

ChiccoRide057.jpg

Enterence into the Forest but we came in from the other side

ChiccoRide069.jpg

Winston and Raymond

ChiccoRide070.jpg

Then it was on the way to the find the camp site at Ging, we went across the old N2 bridge

ChiccoRide071.jpg

and a mix of tar and gravel to Ging.

More to follow this evening  :biggrin:

Looks awesome, we are in for a treat....  :thumleft:

any pics of sugarcane plowing...  :biggrin:

Dakota said:
any pics of sugarcane plowing...  :biggrin:

sorry missed that one and winstons recovery skills were too fast  :biggrin:

Hey, I grew up on a farm between this bridge and Ging.  Used to take the bus from Mtunzini (from Perry's ford actually) to Empangeni every day.  This bridge was still in use then.  :biggrin:

Attachments

• ChiccoRide071.jpg
    ChiccoRide071.jpg
    168.9 KB
Thanks for the photo's Mark, better start planning the next recce ride, up north this time.

Attachments

• 11 july 2009 003.jpg
    11 july 2009 003.jpg
    104.4 KB
  • 11 july 2009 002.jpg
    11 july 2009 002.jpg
    47.4 KB
  • 11 july 2009 006.jpg
    11 july 2009 006.jpg
    118.3 KB
Thanks for the R&R  :thumleft:

Some great pics, I love the scenery in Natal.

What a nice part of the country!!  :thumleft:

Enjoy, but aren't you chasing the birds away with those loud pipes? :biggrin:

I&horse said:
Enjoy, but aren't you chasing the birds away with those loud pipes? :biggrin:

so thats why we didn't see any apart from the one down by the river  :mwink: >:D

It was an awsome ride. The Valies are in a for a real great treat in Sept. I waited at that river crossing for Chicco and Raymond to cross first to see if any of them nasty flat dogs were around. I think the orange bike scared the sh!t out of them.

The tuperware on my bike is full of scrathes after my unplanned dash through the sugar cane, just glad i did not came off at that speed. That cane can bliksem hard. 10 + for ATGATT

Nice sport of you Mark for taking the old Goggo through the water, that's why they didn't wallop us wiff stones like the Lesotho's.

chrisL said:
Nice pics  Mark. What do you think of the Heidi 150?

I have added a comment here
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=33486.120

all in all very happy with the tyre so far  :thumleft:

Lekker, Mark.  What a beautiful part of the country - the riding looks awesome.  Thanks.  :thumleft: