Clarens, Katse Golden Gate & Vaal Dam - 31 Jan 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Pom asked me to kick off a thread for a few pics of the ride he took to Clarens and Katse – happy to do.

From my side it was a great solo ride, with great company.  ;D That sounds a little incongruous, but it’s the way it worked out for me.

When Pom said he was off  to Katse with a stop-over at Golden gate I jumped at the chance to head the bikes nose out on the open road, but I was not sure if I was up to 750Km, when the longest ride I have taken on the Tenere was under 100Km.

So the plan was that I would do my own thing, but meet up with them at Golden Gate.

After a cup of coffee at the Petro Port before Heidelburg I headed off solo to see the floodgates opened at Vaal Dam, while the rest of the pack set off on fast roads to get to Katse.  

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend002.jpg

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend003.jpg

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend004.jpg

On the road outside Clarens. They must have dawdled a bit ‘cos I caught up with them in Bethlehem, and then the pack split again, with the Katse group (and the illegal boder-jumpers   ::) ) heading on ahead.

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend008.jpg

Golden gate Campsite – Brandwag in the Background

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend012.jpg

SW Motech Camp Fridge

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend013.jpg

After a brief, wet and noisy thunderstorm

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend015.jpg

Where the larneys stayed. – Golden Gate Chalets

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend016.jpg

Took a few detours in Golden Gate park.

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend017.jpg

Met up with a fellow dog - I think he said he was "Wasp"

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend020.jpg

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend021.jpg

At the Basoto Cultural Village – I was there a bit early and not much going on

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend022.jpg

The Vaal in full spate at Villiers.

20100131ClarensGoldenGateWeekend023.jpg

Looking forward to the other's picks of Katse.

Thanks for organizing this Pom.

It's only Sunday, and I left here yesterday morning, but I feel I have had a mini-holiday - was great - and nice to meet some new dogs and non-dogs.

Let's do another one ! - Next time I'll ride with you to Katse !

Hey GG, great stuff. That camp site at Golden Gate looks nice, I must get the details from you!

So what was the verdict on doing longer rides on the Ten?

LeonDude said:
Hey GG, great stuff. That camp site at Golden Gate looks nice, I must get the details from you!
So what was the verdict on doing longer rides on the Ten?

The campsite is nice. Nice little stream and clean ablutions. Also have a little kitchen with hot-plates and wash-up sinks - was about R165 for the site for the night. Small shop with basic necessities like beer and ice.

I did a few of the side roads in Golden Gate park - very nice, but I only did the tar ones as I did not want to get stuck in the mud alone.

But if the weather is seriously bad and gravel becomes mud at the FS bash they will make a good plan B - Speed limit is 30KPH !

Saw blesbok, blou wildebees, what may have been klipspringer and a black-back jackall who thought I may have been in trouble with a bust bike, and was waiting for me to become dinner, but then he saw it was a Tenere and ambled off.

The Tenere was seriously nice on the distance. Cruises effortlessly at 120-130 (which is about the speed I like to cruise) and I had full panniers, tie on bags, and top-box - the whole katootie - It's right in the power-band so I hardly ever needed to change gear when overtaking. The seat is a dream, and within a few minutes of stopping you hardly feel like you have ridden a Km.

Was curious as to how the Ten actually covered the distance at my gentle speed. Seems I broke the speed limit a bit, but hope no surprises in the mail.

Interesting how the speed on the freeway just increased without me realizing it until I got scared of the speed-cops.

ClarensTripSpeed.jpg

If I had known how comfy the bike was over distance I may have taken the Katse option, but it would still have been a push for me.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Wish I was there. But alas I had a few flood gate problems of my own. My bike is still packed ready to roll in the garage  :-\

Battlestar said:
:'( :'( :'( :'(

Wish I was there. But alas I had a few flood gate problems of my own. My bike is still packed ready to roll in the garage  :-\

New rule #47 - no dodgy meals before riding trips  ::)
Rule #48 Take Lomotil or Imodium ( or, if all else fails, Pampers )

Hi Gunda
Saw you ride past after your visit to the Vaaldam.
Glad you had a nice trip.

Stofstreep said:
Hi Gunda

Did I greet you like the friendly Wild Dog I am, or did I do the day-tripper-ignore routine  ;D

Hi Gunda,
Thanks for the report.
I hope to be in that area in March.
I have just finished plotting a route to circumnavigate Lesotho on the South African side.
JHB to Clarens, Golden Gate, Sterkfontein dam around to Himeville via some sand roads, Matatiele, Naude's Nek, Rhodes, Lundins Nek, Telebridge, around past Hobhouse back to JHB. total 1,600km

Dale X said:
Hi Gunda,
Thanks for the report.
I have just finished plotting a route to circumnavigate Lesotho on the South African side.
JHB to Clarens, Golden Gate, Sterkfontein dam around to Himeville via some sand roads, Matatiele, Naude's Nek, Rhodes, Lundins Nek, Telebridge, around past Hobhouse back to JHB. total 1,600km

Sound really good. Dont forget Kamberg and Loteni - stunning area. Weren't you trying that once before and had a bike problem ?

GundaGunda said:
Stofstreep said:
Hi Gunda

Did I greet you like the friendly Wild Dog I am, or did I do the day-tripper-ignore routine  ;D

NO!

You did greet. :D

GundaGunda said:
Dale X said:
Hi Gunda,
Thanks for the report.

Sound really good. Dont forget Kamberg and Loteni - stunning area. Weren't you trying that once before and had a bike problem ?
I looked on a map and can't seem to find Kamburg, Loteni. What area are they in?
I did Naude's Nek, Rhodes area on the "bike problem" trip but the weather was shit with low cloud and rain. I want to do it again so I can see what I missed the first time round.

Thanks for that. That section is included in my original route.

Thanks for joining us Gunda, I had a really cool weekend, Katse dam next time perhaps?

Pom said:
Thanks for joining us Gunda, I had a really cool weekend, Katse dam next time perhaps?

Yes. I had a great relaxing weekend. Such a great, laid back town Clarens.

Yes Katse sounds good.

You have any pics of the katse leg ? 

Hi Gunda. Was really great to meet you at Golden Gate, you are not only a true gentleman but a great photographer too. Thank you very much! :thumleft:

Wasp said:
Hi Gunda. Was really great to meet you at Golden Gate, you are not only a true gentleman but a great photographer too. Thank you very much! :thumleft:

Always nice to meet another WD on the road. Photographer - naah - happy snapper  ::)

Your son enjoy the trip ? I've been eyeballing the Golden gate park in Google Earth and see a whole number of roads still to ride. Maybe at the Free State bash ! 

GundaGunda said:
Wasp said:

Always nice to meet another WD on the road. Photographer - naah - happy snapper  ::)

Your son enjoy the trip ? I've been eyeballing the Golden gate park in Google Earth and see a whole number of roads still to ride. Maybe at the Free State bash !   

I'm taking the wife next week...she refuse to camp so we'll dock in a B&B in Clarens, then we will definately explore the other routes in the park.  Was  a memorable trip and the little one wants to go back immediately. Nothing bonds a dad and son like doing an adventure trip together.

Subscribed.
Pom where is the rest of the pics of Katse?

No camera I'm afraid.
DeonDJ joined us, he took quite a few pics, I hope he posts them, I'll drop him a pm.