Clarens, Katse Golden Gate & Vaal Dam - 31 Jan 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice GG - looks like you enjoying your new scoot there?

eSKaPe said:
Nice GG - looks like you enjoying your new scoot there?

I sit here - supposed to be writing a report, but my client is away.
So I dream with Google Earth and MapSource = mmmm - wonder what that road is like? Wonder how the bike would do that ?
Just can't wait to strap a tent on the bike and hit the road.

Yup. I am enjoying the bike !

GG - great one again. really like your snap of the bike, tent with the high very green mountain in the background. its the kind of pick you would expect in the Getaway magazine?

Yep got a few pics, upload tonight if possible :thumleft:
Pom and Chris thanks for taking me with, what a ride, nearly forgot to breathe as the view is so stunning and the turns so bloody sharp....., the dam overflowing was just great, thinking of going again this weekend ;D

paule said:
GG - great one again. really like your snap of the bike, tent with the high very green mountain in the background. its the kind of pick you would expect in the Getaway magazine?

The light must take the credit. It was amazing after the short and sharp thunderstorm. If you look at the sky in the pic you can see the blue sky chasing the clouds off to the right.

I must at some stage get a better camera. My R1200 Samsung mik-en-klik has served me well, but is a bit limited.

Ok here goes, we were about six at the border but only three had passports, so Pom,Hidalgo and myself went through, arriving at Fouriesburg there was no fuel, so we fuelled up at Buthe Buthe.
DSC04935.jpg

After that the road was new to me, Pom in front with his Weestrom, Pom het die pap dik aangemaak van die begin,they told me that the temperature would drop and that we would climb quickly, well they were not wrong :biggrin:,stopping at the sharp bend on top of the pass, lotsa mist.
DSC04940.jpg

DSC04939.jpg

The bikes, a Dakar, a Weestrom and a 800 GS, my toes scraped twice on the turns, pure adrenaline all the way and thank you for ABS brakes, needed it...
DSC04942.jpg

Mist blowing over the road and up the mountain the whole time, spectacular!

While standing on top of the pass we heard a lorry?, a tank?, what the hell was that sound, through the mist came two bikes, the cruiser was making the noise, could hear it for miles.
DSC04945.jpg

The cruiser and the speedbike in the turn.
DSC04946.jpg

Pom and Chris
DSC04950.jpg

The steepness of the pass, the road was well buildt, sharp bends, and very nice s - bends, sweeping turns, this is certainly a gem Pom.
DSC04952.jpg

What a sight to ride for kilometers next to the dam and then to see the dam wall, GS meets Katse!
DSC04957.jpg

It was nice to see the dam overflowing, the sound of thunder!
DSC04962.jpg

I was there!
DSC04963.jpg

Spray blown up the wall, spectacular.
DSC04965.jpg

Zoom shot.
DSC04967.jpg

View from the Katse hotel, nice food we had there, it is actually a little town that was left behind by the dam builders.
DSC04970.jpg

Hotel restaurant
DSC04971.jpg

The deep blue water...
DSC04972.jpg

Lotsa waterfalls in the mountain.
DSC04974.jpg

Awesome scenery
DSC04977.jpg

DSC04979-1.jpg

Last pic, my noble steed in the lovely mountain scenery
DSC04976.jpg

DeonDj said:
It was nice to see the dam overflowing, the sound of thunder!
DSC04962.jpg
Vaaldam se mo3r.  :laughing4:

Does any of you have a map (even hand drawn and scanned) of the route that you took there.  ???

That route is marked as the A25 on all Lesotho maps - can't get lost.

The route profile is interesting.

At one point you ride from 1900m to 3100m in a little over 10Km. On a trip there a few years ago I thought I was being shot at - was what sounded like shots from behind.  Turned out the cappuccino sachets in the top box behind me were popping because of the altitude.

FourieKatseRouteProfile.jpg

:drif: :drif: :drif: :thumleft:

GundaGunda said:
That route is marked as the A25 on all Lesotho maps - can't get lost.

The route profile is interesting.

At one point you ride from 1900m to 3100m in a little over 10Km. On a trip there a few years ago I thought I was being shot at - was what sounded like shots from behind.  Turned out the cappuccino sachets in the top box behind me were popping because of the altitude.

FourieKatseRouteProfile.jpg
Yes GG my ears were popping the whole time, the climb is just great, no time to relax as the turns just keep on coming, just consentrating on Hidalgo's Dakar's back, see the brake light coming on then I am on the brakes, see them dissapear around the corner then seeing them again as i came around he corner. :thumleft:

Howzit Deon

Thanks for posting your pics.   I was worried about time but Pom lead the way not wasting any time  >:D

It was an awesome day with some awesome riding and views - my second time and still found it AWESOME !!

Those twisties are amazing with boot scraping corners and drop offs that will take your breath away - literally - some corners have no barriers and nice steep drops and boulders the size of a small car in the middle of the road  :eek:

I wanna go again (like a kid on a roller coaster)  :ricky:

:thumleft:

Nice pics there Deon, thanks mate :thumleft:

Is this the basic route from Clarens?
Clarens Katse.jpg

My map did not show anything on the blue line.

Did you need anything else at the border besides the passports? Something like the bikes registration papers? Costs at the border?

Stormer said:
Is this the basic route from Clarens?
My map did not show anything on the blue line.
Did you need anything else at the border besides the passports? Something like the bikes registration papers? Costs at the border?

Yup. That looks like it.
I took a photostat of my bike's papers on my prior trip but no-one asked - just a passport as AFAIK.
Was a nominal charge at the border I think, but it was small enough that I seem to remember saying "yaarwellnofine"

Stormer we had to fill in an form, bike reg,where did you get your passport,passport number and where you are going and there where only one pen and the lady had it behind the counter at the Lesotho side, o and you pay R25 for entrance fee, thats all.