Disappointment: Tyre choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emil

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Hi, everyone

Disappointment. Having whittled down the choice of 2 x new tyres for my Triumph Tiger 800XC to either the Michelin Anakee 2 or Mitas E07, I sought confirmation from a very competent bike shop in JHB. In April last year this very same shop did a tubeless conversion (lifetime warrantee) on my Excel rims and left me hugely impressed during my trip around South Africa and thereafter. To date I've not had any problems with the conversion.

My email received the following reply from them: "Thank you for your e-mail.........our pleasure.

The Anakee 2 are no longer available.

Anakee 3 are more road designed 70% Tar 30% Off-road.

The Mitas E07 do not make a Tubeless 90/90-21.

I would recommend the Hiedenhau Tyres which are 50/50 Tyre if you are doing
Tar and Off-road Mountain passes."

Now what? I'll have no problem with the back tyre (Mitas E07), but what to do with the front? I do mostly travel on tar, but have Sani Pass, Swaziland and the Cederberg on my bucket list for Sept / Oct. this year still. It also doesn't me buying an excellent off - road tyre that will only last approximatley 12000km. Currently my Anakee 2 tyres have done 16000km and still have about 3000km left.

I look forward to some sound advice (and perhaps a jest or two).

Thanks, guys!