DRAZIL HAS THE BRAGGING RIGHTS- WINTERBERG SLEEP-OVER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRISH

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Drazil has double bragging rights. First he organised a brilliant site for this weekend's camp-over and he caught a 2.8kg bass! I don't think that I have ever seen one that big.

Kally had organised a trip for a few Slumdogs to take place this past weekend and the venue for the sleep-over was Fort Fordyce.
Booking was done in advance and all looked good until Monday last when he was informed that there was a double booking. This scenario repeated itself again and thus it was that a decision was made to join Drazil at Winterberg Country Club. What a very good decision it was. The venue was a classic hidden gem in the Eastern Cape. Some time back a farmer donated 50 acres next to a vlei to the farming community to establish a sports club. The land was sub-divided and the owners were the farming community who. being enterprising fellows, built a club-house and 3 tennis courts. The master-piece was however the dam. The vlei and wet-lands are part of a cut-off river which later took another route. So the farmers built a wall across the vlei and dug a sloot from the new river valley. Water is gravity fed to the dam and what a good idea it turned out to be.

The dam is in an amphitheatre bordered on almost 3 sides by a huge cliff-face, the under-cut bank from the historical river. Here we saw bush-buck, fish-eagles, hawks, dassies, baboons, various geese and Drazil's Bambi of unknown make. There was also a donkey who had become a surrogate mom to a little Blesbok foal. You would not know until you take a very good look at the foal that it was not a donkey family.

The farmers were almost falling over each other to make us comfortable and there was and endless supply of meat and other victuals on offer as well as dop. It could not have been better. The weather played along and a fine kuier was had by the dogs and dogesses that attended. I will leave the rest of the reporting and posting of piccies to the others. Thanks all for a seriously perfect WD weekend.