GKG 2011, the report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Die landskap
IMG_3279.jpg

Die pad
IMG_3280pano.jpg

Die water
IMG_3258.jpg

Die modder
IMG_3287.jpg

Die geselskap
IMG_3474.jpg

Die kamp
IMG_3226.jpg

Please ID the owners and their bikes as we go along that us other G/S'ers may get to know them. If possible.

I'll leave the pro photies for DD to post. Here is some of the things we got up to.

Just some tongue wetters...

Attachments

• 19032011226.jpg
    19032011226.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 19032011228.jpg
    19032011228.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 19032011227.jpg
    19032011227.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 446
  • 20032011245.jpg
    20032011245.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 20032011247.jpg
    20032011247.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 439
Jaloers is ek nou!!!

Please tell me that this is the first of many annual airhead gatherings!

Annual. Book it now. Same time, that we don't have issues with the calender again. I demand.

That group photo is awesome. Inspiring. This whole thing is just plain great. Sorry, can't help myself.

I think all who were there would agree that the inaugural Great Karoo Gathering was a huge success. Well done to the Chairman, the Kaptein, the DustDevil and anyone else who helped with the arrangements  :thumleft:

Before we could gather we had to arrive and that guaranteed some interesting stories when your choice of adventure bike is anywhere between 15 and 30 years old  :eek:

Our group started with 5 bikes, 2 HPNs and 3 monoleavers
IMG_3187.jpg

To ensure the MGC (maximum gravel content) the route went via Sutherland, Fraserburg and Loxton. We soon became aware that there was a lot of water around
IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

By Victoria West the group was growing...
IMG_3226.jpg

...but not going  ;) Bismark helping out with some field diagnostics on Louis' bike. Once the issues were traced to a faulty ignition module and suspect plug lead, some creative logistics were put in place. We would meetup in Richmond with boersoeknbike who would collect the spares from the GS Workshop in Middleburg on his way from Limpopo :eek: Then Howard (Louis' brother) would head back with the spares while the rest of us continued on.
IMG_3223.jpg

There was plenty more mud on Route. Willie giving it horns through one of the mud holes even though he had lost his front mud guard on the previous day
IMG_3244.jpg

The HPN seemed to know the way there all on its own  :ricky:
IMG_3250.jpg

Once we arrived it didn't take long to find the local Brewery and start sampling the local brews  :mwink:
IMG_3259.jpg

The Gathering had began...

Hey Jupiter,

sorry to hear about your run in with the trailer  :eek7: I know how much you would have loved to have been there, hope the recovery doesn't take too long. I will try and post some more pics and tell the story about Saturdays outride tonight. Just to give you some idea, this is how Fanie felt after we were through the worst of it  :mwink:

IMG_3310.jpg

Thanks Mike. I'm fine, but will take some time to recover. Looks like it was good fun from what I've seen so far and can't wait for more.

Looked like you were enjoying your bike. Sorted out the enjin problems ?

jupiter said:
Looked like you were enjoying your bike. Sorted out the enjin problems ?

I was absolutely loving the bike. Watching some of the other guys struggle in the rough stuff with the standard G/S front end made me realize that having decent suspension instantly makes you a better rider  :mwink:

The altitude seemed to sort out the engine problems (pinging) completely but it returned when we came back down to the coast  :'( I guess I am going to have to make the mixture even richer or put in a base gasket as a spacer to reduce compression or something...

Me and my bike out and about in the Great Karoo. Sure beats the daily commute  :ricky:
IMG_3236.jpg

Where are you ? Oh ! there. Just kidding of course. I'm glad you're enjoying the bike. Have you investigated re-jetting the carbs.

(Hope no-one minds the hi-jack while we wait.)

jupiter said:
Where are you ? Oh ! there. Just kidding of course. I'm glad you're enjoying the bike. Have you investigated re-jetting the carbs.

(Hope no-one minds the hi-jack while we wait.)

I have tried about 5 different combinations of jets, needles and needle positions but I will post more on that on the build thread sometime when I do a year one roundup report. I don't want to hi-jack the GKG report with talk about my bike, there were 20 other cool airheads at the gathering  :3some: