In search of tracks across mountains.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep on hi-jacking Rynet, this sort of discussion is most valid when one push your machine past what the designers had in mind. Then I suppose the differences in capabilities are clearest.

Thanks Michiel!  Glad you took the time here and there to take these pics and capture those moments! I am deeply jealous.  :'( 

Thanx for the report guys, this is what it is all about... would like to ride with you guys somtime. Please let me know when you plan a ride again.

Great trip you guys.  Not all of that could have been on Mapsource.

Dustdevil said:
Driving back through Wupperthal I was again surprised with the beauty and tranquility of the place. Something that struck me was how the quaint houses are all overlooking the small veg patches across the road and I could not help but wonder what went wrong in the modern city of today. Why is it that land had to be given up for more houses, businesses and factories, valuable land that were producing food. Land that would space us apart somewhat and land that would help to recycle the organic wast we produced, but most important, land that would give communities a sense of purpose and pride. We have allowed councils to make decisions on our behalf of how our towns should be structured and never have we questioned the "authority" of city planers and architects who left us with a legacy of gray, unattractive, miserable, grid-lined cities, fit only for paid slaves to live in.
God, I don't know how most people can't see how ugly Cape Town really is. We have been relying to long on the table and the bay to hide this mess and then they think they can dolly it up with a god-awful stadium and long overdue highways and bypasses that would not have been needed if people would choose to live and work and produce the bulk of their food and basic needs inside their communities.
But as long as we allow capitalism and consumerism to run unchecked will we slowly turn our world into a wasteland, sucking dry all resources to wastefully dispose of cheaply made unneeded goods and to poison our soils with the production of cheap and good looking food grown in record times, wrapped in harmful artificial packaging. Convenience, convenience is written all over everything we do, but what happened to real peacefulness, or friendliness or happiness.  What happened to our communities and our sense of social well being.
Today I have to admit that I am poor, poor in my soul because nothing I do can satisfy me, as it all ends up being for one purpose alone and that is to be able to pay the bills at the end of the month and if I am lucky I can venture here into this incredible beauty knowing that one day we will all live like the Wupperthalers out of choice or because we will be forced by economic collapse due to rising prices as resources are becoming more scarce and harder to come by.
Sorry for the moment of philosophical venting but when I am meandering along endless Karoo highways I can't help but think about these things. I guess it is the fresh Karoo air and being able to stand back from it all that allow me to clearly see the error of our ways.

I so agree with you.

However I lived in Sasolburg which is the best bit of town planning I have seen. Not a single straight road.  There is a continuous green belt through the town so that children can ride to school off the roads and you can walk all over the town on the paths in the green bit.  All the schools & churches are in the green bits. I am now told that it has become a security nightmare as the bad guys have free access to all houses & the cops & security patrols can't see them or get to them.  It is being closed off now because of the collapse in society.

tok-tokkie said:
Great trip you guys.  Not all of that could have been on Mapsource.

Dustdevil said:
Driving back through Wupperthal I was again surprised with the beauty and tranquility of the place. Something that struck me was how the quaint houses are all overlooking the small veg patches across the road and I could not help but wonder what went wrong in the modern city of today. Why is it that land had to be given up for more houses, businesses and factories, valuable land that were producing food. Land that would space us apart somewhat and land that would help to recycle the organic wast we produced, but most important, land that would give communities a sense of purpose and pride. We have allowed councils to make decisions on our behalf of how our towns should be structured and never have we questioned the "authority" of city planers and architects who left us with a legacy of gray, unattractive, miserable, grid-lined cities, fit only for paid slaves to live in.
God, I don't know how most people can't see how ugly Cape Town really is. We have been relying to long on the table and the bay to hide this mess and then they think they can dolly it up with a god-awful stadium and long overdue highways and bypasses that would not have been needed if people would choose to live and work and produce the bulk of their food and basic needs inside their communities.
But as long as we allow capitalism and consumerism to run unchecked will we slowly turn our world into a wasteland, sucking dry all resources to wastefully dispose of cheaply made unneeded goods and to poison our soils with the production of cheap and good looking food grown in record times, wrapped in harmful artificial packaging. Convenience, convenience is written all over everything we do, but what happened to real peacefulness, or friendliness or happiness.  What happened to our communities and our sense of social well being.
Today I have to admit that I am poor, poor in my soul because nothing I do can satisfy me, as it all ends up being for one purpose alone and that is to be able to pay the bills at the end of the month and if I am lucky I can venture here into this incredible beauty knowing that one day we will all live like the Wupperthalers out of choice or because we will be forced by economic collapse due to rising prices as resources are becoming more scarce and harder to come by.
Sorry for the moment of philosophical venting but when I am meandering along endless Karoo highways I can't help but think about these things. I guess it is the fresh Karoo air and being able to stand back from it all that allow me to clearly see the error of our ways.

I so agree with you.

However I lived in Sasolburg which is the best bit of town planning I have seen. Not a single straight road.  There is a continuous green belt through the town so that children can ride to school off the roads and you can walk all over the town on the paths in the green bit.  All the schools & churches are in the green bits. I am now told that it has become a security nightmare as the bad guys have free access to all houses & the cops & security patrols can't see them or get to them.  It is being closed off now because of the collapse in society.

It is collapsing because the community is not self governing and powers are to centralised not allowing any community member input and influence.
If the city was correctly designed it would have been build forming small pockets where communes can form strong bonds through common responsibilities and participation making it difficult for strangers to move about unnoticed.

The entire structure of how we live in cities need to be reviewed. I believe that it is possible to live in a crime free and well cared after neighborhood but people will have to start working at it and stop their moaning at the paralyzed central government.
On the news last night a saw a guy protesting because of a lack of service delivery. In protest he was quite capable of breaking a telephone booth from it base. If he could do this why is it so hard to start to clean his own street and to come up with solutions for garbage removal himself or together with the community as a whole.

Security complexes is not the answer! Community participation will be.

I agree.  My last sentence: 'It is being closed off now because of the collapse in society'.