Into Africa - DASKOP's 12000km drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huisdier said:
Daskop, geniet jou rRR moer baie  :thumleft:

Baie dankie. Net jammer ek het julle trippie gemis. Sal nie weer so 'n fout maak nie.  :toothy4: :toothy4:

Day 7 - at last in Walvis.

A quick meal on the water front.

Check die manne met die selfone................kan sommer dadelik sien wie die broek by die huis dra en waar die toestemming vir die trip vandaan gekom het...... :pot: :pot: :pot:

Bietjie sightseeing.

Then once again, (remember Ai-Ais?????) Murphy and the birds?  ??? ???

Attachments

• Walvis by the sea.JPG
    Walvis by the sea.JPG
    141.6 KB
  • Walvis pelicans.JPG
    Walvis pelicans.JPG
    151.5 KB
  • Murphy and the birds...again (Small).JPG
    Murphy and the birds...again (Small).JPG
    98.8 KB
  • Lunch in Walvis (Small).JPG
    Lunch in Walvis (Small).JPG
    130.2 KB
DASKOP said:
dirtyXT said:
looking at these pics the red GS is sooo much nicer than the cotch colored one.  :deal:

keep it coming DASKOP, looking forward to your solo sections

Yip my boet, and then the man is looking for YELLOW kit as well.  ::)

All OK in Gauteng??? Do any riding up there?
yip actually been exploring Mpumalanga and Limpopo, some lekker stuff up here. struggling a bit to find sneaky tracks but the railway lines provide some interesting things. next up a quicky trip to Zanzaibar methinks. to be clear its cotch not yellow! ;-)

Marius - glad you came right with somewhere to stay in Gun town - the Wylie's are very old family from that area , remember when we were kids that dairy was the only one before all the corporates arrived . If you are there over weekends we will make a plan to come over and visit . Keep the photos and commentry coming , the interesting bits are still to come !!

Dirty xt - mellow yellow , brighten up your outlook on life ...................... black is dead .

dirtyXT said:
DASKOP said:
As promised
:laughing4: where is fuzzy muzzy?

Check the close-up on the previous page.......... :lamer:

We must be dof, I also thought it was cotch until he told me it is yellow. I just thought my colour blindness was playing up.  :imaposer: :imaposer:

So we leave.....all following Murphy, who swears by his GPS, onto the wrong road out of Walvis to Swakopmund. We turn around, Murph realises that he is alone, comes back and we get on the right road to Swakop.

Then, as per Murphy's GPS we take the LOOOOOONG scenic route to our lodgings.

Lekker cosy place. Everyone unpacks, and we all head into to town to do our own thing. I just happen to not see a FOUR WAY STOP and am nearly crunched. Went back later to see, it was poorly marked.

Anyway, by the time we all meet at the cell shop to sort out comms, everybody is talking about this stupid biker that went over a 4 way stop.

Klein dorp - Swakopmund.

Murphy makes arrangements for us to be picked up at Mile 4 to have supper at the famous..........................???

Attachments

• Out of Walvis..the wrong way Murphy.JPG
    Out of Walvis..the wrong way Murphy.JPG
    104.9 KB
  • Walvis Dunes.JPG
    Walvis Dunes.JPG
    98.1 KB
  • Out of Walvis .. the right way.JPG
    Out of Walvis .. the right way.JPG
    120.8 KB
  • Arriving at Mile 4 Swakop (Small).JPG
    Arriving at Mile 4 Swakop (Small).JPG
    91.1 KB
DASKOP said:
So we leave.....all following Murphy, who swears by his GPS, onto the wrong road out of Walvis to Swakopmund. We turn around, Murph realises that he is alone, comes back and we get on the right road to Swakop.

Then, as per Murphy's GPS we take the LOOOOOONG scenic route to our lodgings.

Lekker cosy place. Everyone unpacks, and we all head into to town to do our own thing. I just happen to not see a FOUR WAY STOP and am nearly crunched. Went back later to see, it was poorly marked.

Anyway, by the time we all meet at the cell shop to sort out comms, everybody is talking about this stupid biker that went over a 4 way stop.

Klein dorp - Swakopmund.

Murphy makes arrangements for us to be picked up at Mile 4 to have supper at the famous..........................???
the famous restaraunt is called Kuckis ................. great place with the biggest eisbeins i have ever seen .

Thanks Murphy. Even Googled it, could not remember the name. No sarcastic remarks now.

Kucki's Pub - ranked #11 out of the top 35 restaurants in Swakop. Great place with great people. They do not do the fetching thing anymore, but made an exception for us.

Great Eisbeins. If ever in Swakop, you have to do the Kucki's Eisbein. Some sort of shooter afterwards with the bottle top on your nose that you had to blow off after the down. Murphy even had the people at the table next door trying out this party trick.

Not the best pictures, but the shooter tasted good. Maybe that caused the shake.

Oh, and even the owner had heard of this stupid biker that did not stop at the 4 way stop. As I said, Swakop, klein dorp.

Attachments

• Duppie with his Eisbein at Kucki's (Medium).jpg
    Duppie with his Eisbein at Kucki's (Medium).jpg
    231.4 KB
  • Murphy and the Eisbein (Medium).JPG
    Murphy and the Eisbein (Medium).JPG
    191.4 KB
  • Shooters at Kucki's (Small).jpg
    Shooters at Kucki's (Small).jpg
    110.2 KB
Just going back to the Tropic of Capricorn sign full of stickers ...................... Sorry Jack.  ;)  :3some:

Attachments

• Tropic of Capricorn sign full of stickers.JPG
    Tropic of Capricorn sign full of stickers.JPG
    319.8 KB
DASKOP said:
Huisdier said:
Daskop, geniet jou rRR moer baie  :thumleft:

Baie dankie. Net jammer ek het julle trippie gemis. Sal nie weer so 'n fout maak nie.  :toothy4: :toothy4:

Marius, dit sal moer lekker wees as jy ons kan join - lekker klomp manne :ricky:

Hell Dup , lyk asof jy daai eisbein vreeslik geniet .

I know that this is about our Africa trip, but it is my RR, and I was riding, well driving my bakkie, (and I am still, strictly speaking, in Africa), so I thought I would just report on this amazing sunset that I experienced driving back to the farm today.  :biggrin:

Attachments

• Sunset over Grahamstown.jpg
    Sunset over Grahamstown.jpg
    116.5 KB
Day 8 - we spend the day in Swakop.

Remember the road mentioned leading to Swakop? (photo posted again below) So corrugated, I stuttered for 3 days.............

Was not good for my panniers either. Broke the brackets off. Luckily one of my riding buddies noticed this before they could depart from the bike without permission, causing grievious bodily harm to themselves and financial complications to myself.  

The Yamaha guys were a great help and got me to a German (what? Germans in Namibia? Never!!) engineering shop where the guys immediately helped me and they did some drilling and bolting repairs that made the panniers a permanent fixture for the rest of my trip. They also only charged me R190. Thanks to them. Cannot find the receipt for their name, but will post it as soon as I do.

Attachments

• Road to Swakop (Small).JPG
    Road to Swakop (Small).JPG
    129 KB
  • Broken panniers.jpg
    Broken panniers.jpg
    116.1 KB
  • Broken panniers (3).jpg
    Broken panniers (3).jpg
    112.6 KB
  • Broken panniers (2).jpg
    Broken panniers (2).jpg
    113.4 KB
dirtyXT said:
DASKOP said:
As promised
:laughing4: where is fuzzy muzzy?

Did you check the YELLOW (cotch??) kit Fuzzy and them took to Zim? Can you imagine that on a certain mate of our's bike?  :imaposer:

I am just kidding, Fuzzy. It's all Dirty XT's fault. He started it.  ::)

Yellow is a fun colour ................ it even smells good . To be fair to D XT ,  Slipstream [AKA, the Ritalin kid ] started all the Mellow yellow vomit commit crap. Jealous i guess

Anyway Daskop please keep it coming with a little more speed !!!!! :thumleft:

MURPHY said:
Yellow is a fun colour ................ it even smells good . To be fair to D XT ,  Slipstream [AKA, the Ritalin kid ] started all the Mellow yellow vomit commit crap. Jealous i guess

Anyway Daskop please keep it coming with a little more speed !!!!! :thumleft:

Patience was never one of your strong points, hey?

I am savouring the memories boet, trying to do the RR between running a site from 6 to 6 in GHT and doing the final account for the Kings Beach development. I'm a bit slow, I know, but soon it will be much better.  :biggrin:

Hows this:

We rode Karibib, Omaruru, Otjiwarongo, Tsumeb (was very nice there), Grootfontein, Rundu, Chivundu (Shametu), Kongola, Katimo Mulilo, Vic Falls (Livingstone), Lusaka, Chipata, Lilongwe, (I did Goromotsi Pass - absolutely spectacular), Monkey Bay, Cape Maclear (Murphy went home), I rode to the north, Dwangwa, Makuzi Beach, turned at Livingstonia, Luwawa, Lilongwe, Blantyre, Majete, Tete, Cahorra Basa, Chimoio, broke down at Mira Chirumba, Chimoio, Vilanculos, Inhambane, Maragra, Maputo, Komatipoort, JHB, Eastern Free State, Transkei back to PE.

And that my friends is the end. Hope you enjoyed the sped up version. :bueller:

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Day 9 - departure from Swakopmund.

Pierre and Duppie head off to Upupa Falls and we are on our way to Tsumeb.

As you can see in the photo, my bike is on its main stand, courtesy of one of my riding mates who moved it out of the garage. They leave for the main gate, I try to get it off of the main stand and promptly fall over. No-one in site to help lift this heavy beast. Then the come-to-look-if-the-bikers-did-not-tear-the-place-down inspector arrives so that we can get permission to leave the complex. He stands and looks at me until I politely ask him if he could assist me in picking the bike up. We get it done, ride out, make a turn on the beach and my bike's throttle sticks. Murphy quickly helps to get that sorted and we ride out of a cold and cloudy Swakopmund.

We were told that it will suddenly heat up about 30km out of Swakop. 80km later it is still freezing.

Attachments

• Swakop day of departure.jpg
    Swakop day of departure.jpg
    87.1 KB
  • Swakop getting ready to leave.jpg
    Swakop getting ready to leave.jpg
    89.8 KB
  • Swakop beach - Stuck throttle.jpg
    Swakop beach - Stuck throttle.jpg
    86.2 KB
  • Murphy getting tools to sort my stuck throttle (1).jpg
    Murphy getting tools to sort my stuck throttle (1).jpg