Kamieskroon - Soebatsfontein loop. Access query.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tok-tokkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200

Context:

In November We are going to take a Austrian couple for a trip to the Kamiesberg in our 4WD Terios.  We took them to Wuppertal/Doring crossing/Gannaga/Midelpos/Ouberg last year which they much appreciated.  We will stay on a private farm near Leliefontein.  From there we plan 2 day trips.  I am unclear about the Messelpad/Wildeperdehoek to Soebatsfontein road & the routes back to Kamieskroon.  I would like advice about that route.

We don’t want to spend all day in the car.  Want to get back to the farm, relax & go for a walk.

Route:

In Basecamp I have plotted the route.  Attached is a jpg of it.

Stage 1 Leliefontein – Kamieskroon – N7 – Messelpad – Wildeperdehoek – Soebatsfontein = 148 km 3h45m

Stage 2  Then I have 3 alternatives for the return to Leliefontein.  
My original plan was the longest southern loop going through Spoegrivier. = 110 kn  2h2m.  
I thought that would make the day too long (5h47m in car) so I made shorter routes.  

The shortest is the upper one at 77 km 2h32m.  Even longer (6h17m).

The middle one is 78 km  1h28m.  (5h13m)

The difference in time is because the upper one is 4WD while the middle one is just gravel road.  

I asked someone who knows the area a bit & she suggested go in via middle stage 2 as it takes you to the Skilpad office where you get your permits fot the Namaqua Eco Park.  Then do the 4WD route to Soebatsfontein & then the Wildeperdehoek & Messelpad.  That is simply the longest option in reverse.

She says she is unaware of being able to enter the Park at Soebatsfontein so she is saying go in via the official entrance.
My big question:  Is the Messelpad – Soebatsfontein a park road or a public road that anyone can use?  If it is a park road can we get an entry permit at the gate?

Assuming that is a public road then what about the Soebatsfontein – Kamieskroon road (the middle one 1h28m though that is time to Leliefontein).  That does not go though the park so must be a public road.  Is the scenery much different from the 4WD upper 2h32m one?  I have no macho desire to do a 4WD route looking at the same scenery for an extra hour when weI could cruise a gravel highway & go for a walk.

‘----------------------

The map also shows a loop to the north & east of Leliefontein.  That is planned for the next day.  I did that route a few years ago but went to Springbok & Nababeep making it a long day.  Here I am proposing to shorten it by cutting acrossat the  Drodap river.   We cut across until we meet up with the other road coming down from Springbok further to the east.  This makes the trip much shorter and quicker but you will get a good idea of the countryside.  To get to Kamassies is 106 km  2h0m.

Then back to Lelie via Rooifontein & Nourivier = 49km  52m.  That will make a nice easy day.

Question:  Anyone know that route.  What are the roads like & are they unlocked?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Leliefontein.jpg
    Leliefontein.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 193