Karoo tour 2012, with pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems that you and Teresa are having a ball. Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

We are having a ball. And plenty of wine. AND lots of riding, but we are in no rush so not too much of anything.
I hope that new riders who will read these reports will see how easy it is to ride around South Africa, and find accommodation at Bed and Breakfast homes in any town.
We carry enough emergency kit, including a tent and sleeping bags, rain gear, basic emergency medicine kit, food and water for 48 hours etc. but have no intention of using any of it. Although B&Bs are expensive, they are much cheaper than hotels.

BUT take my word for this one - do NOT, repeat NOT get a fit of uncontrollable sneezes whilst going around a sharp curve on a wet mountain pass and break a rib. It is not comfortable. At least I did not fall.

Yesterday was Sunday, and we had hoped to drop in to a few wine estates to do a bit of tasting ( with doing the spitting out bit since we have both seen too much of what happens when bikes and wine are mixed. Cape wine estates are closed on Sunday!! Bother!!!

There was no breakfast at Die Ou Pastorie in Darling ( BTW a good place to sleep, right at the quiet end of Pastorie Straat ) so we were off looking for a place to eat, but eventually had an early lunch at Tulbagh. No worries, the Cape is so beautiful that we were not hungry. There are always mountains around so even whilst riding along flat valleys we were happy. The roads are well signed so we did not even have the happiness of getting lost. Some road works were underway, but the roads are generally in good repair. The other users were much more polite than in Gauteng, excepting for the local Harley menagerie who also go two by two. Individual Harley riders were friendly and polite, as were almost all the bikers, whatever their chosen steed.

From Darling we went through Malmesbury, Paarl (Nederberg closed), to Tulbagh, then Ceres, Prince Alfred Hamlet where we were hoping to stay the night. This is an industrialized suburb of Ceres ( interesting that one of the biggest buildings I saw in Ceres was the Potato Growers' Co-op. I thought of the area as a fruit growing one, and did not even think of potatoes ) so we pushed on over some nice twisty roads to Touwsrivier where we filled the bikes and discover that there were some chalets available next to the petrol station at a very reasonable cost. The quality was similar to that of a Parks Board camp. Some basic food can be bought at the garage.

We were woken up by the sound of water sprinklers on the lawn outside, and our bikes getting a free wash. Having bits of ice breaking off my bike and hitting me at 120km per hour a short time later was a novel experience.

Up the N1 to Matjiesfontein where last year we had been happy to pay R80,00 for a couple HOT cups of coffee and scones at the Lord Milner Hotel, then a left turn up the road to Sutherland. We were here during a storm of note this time last year so missed the observatory. The weather is clear now so we got there after booking in at the "White House" on the main street opposite the Police Station, a very biker friendly place of accommodation.
file-41.jpg

Lunch was at a cafe over the road and then up the hill 18km to the South African Astronomical Observatory. It has actually a collection of various types of optical observatories set up by various countries since it is one of the best areas in the world, with low light or other pollution, and low radio wave pollution. And COLD because of the altitude.
A tour took us a couple of hours and it was most interesting, especially the Southern African Large Telescope. This is possibly the best optic telescope in the world with the biggest mirror ( there is another with the same size ). One snippet is that the mirror, which is made up of 91 cells ) cannot be washed since that would scratch the surface, so over about six months the cells are removed, their aluminum surface removed, and then they are recoated with aluminum to the original high quality.

file-36.jpg

The hill with the SAAO

file-35.jpg

General view of part of SAAO

file-34.jpg

SALT

file-33.jpg

The mirror within a lattice of beams. All the beams are straight, the apparently curved ones are reflections in the mirror. The curve can be seen if you look carefully. The darker segments are clean, the brighter ones dusty and scattering the light.

Then down to Sutherland w to fill the bikes, and supper at the White House.

There is a cold front on the way so we are leaving the Cape just in time. We aim to stick to the tarred roads since the local dirt roads have a lot of sharp rocks so it would be a risk to use them with Anakee tyres.

Old fart said:
Seems that you and Teresa are having a ball. Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

Thanks.

I must admit that I did not follow your reports, since I have had various items of stress such as work, and organizing our trip. I hope to catch up once we get home.

Tuesday 5thJune we left the White house after a huge breakfast and down the road to the N1 and then north. We had a clear run and good weather to Laingsburg wher we stopped for tea and petrol.
At Prince Albert road we took a side road to Prince Albert Hamlet, which is a fair sized and thriving town. We intend to return for a visit some day. There are many art galleries, interesting food places, and other attractions. A good lunch was supplied by a coffee shop attached to the hotel.
Back to Prince Albert Road where we topped up the petrol tanks.
North again with the wind increasing sharply. At times my bike was weaving a metre or more with the gusts. Luckily there was little traffic on the road so we had no problems. However the gate of the Karoo National Park was a welcome sight. Some quick formalities, warnings about the lions, and we we on our way to the rest camp and a cosey chalet.

file-38.jpg

file-37.jpg

As always, the supper was great, the bed warm, and the jackals vocal.

An early start today - until we saw the weather! Then back to bed for a bit.
After packing and loading the bikes off to breakfast and then away! We saw no lions on our way out of the Karoo National Park, but that does not mean than none saw us.
It was cold, windy and raining all the way up the N1 but when we turned onto the N12 at Three Sisters the rain stopped, the clouds broke up to some extent, and the wind dropped. Perfect riding weather again.

Every time I ride or drive through the Karoo I am amazed how the geography and the flora change over short distances. It must be one of the most amazing places on Earth!

There were at least 16 stop / go zones for road construction before Kimberly, but they were a minor problem. We saw no place where we could conveniently pull off the road to photograph some beautify vistas, and my small camera that I can use whilst riding is faulty so no pictures today.
A late lunch and petrol at Kimberly then a bit of a struggle to follow the road northwards through the city ( thanks to my new iPad we did manage ) with our next goal being Jan Kemp Dorp. However we were getting tired after more than 600km today and the sun was getting low so I got lucky and saw self catering accommodation near the N12 /N18 split in Warrenton. It is clean and rather pleasant, bath water is hot, and the price reasonable . If I remember I shall get the details when we leave tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be a fairly short ride to the settlement of Setlegole, and then out on a sand road to our daughter's farm for a few days, followed by a rush home on Sunday to start working on Monday.  At some later time I shall try to post some pictures.

Short ride today from Warrenton ( zero derees cold ) to The Ranch.

file-39.jpg

North of warren ton, looking south

The road was in good shape, but a few areas of construction. Flat would be a good description.
There was a lot more cotton being grown in the Vaal-Hartz irrigation area than I expected, and also what seemed to be a big pecan nut estate.

The sand road from Setlegole to The farm was a lot better and easier to ride  than before, or did Malibu have some good effect?
file-40.jpg

This is one of my classrooms on the farm.

The Tour is basically over, since we shall rest here for a couple of days, and then back to Johannesburg and work.

Bird watching and walking will be done more than biking.

I really like your idea to have one honeymoon per year  :thumleft:

Gonna try sell that one to SWAMBO  :3some:  :ricky:

Swart Baard said:
I really like your idea to have one honeymoon per year  :thumleft:

Gonna try sell that one to SWAMBO  :3some:  :ricky:

It works well, but I would suggest that you use only one wife for all of them.

Yesterday ( Saturday ) was a rest day - a walk on the farm and a quick ride into town to get some oil for my bike. Our daughter , Gwen, and her husband ,Garth, took us to Vryburg to show us the new referral hospital where Gwen will be working for much of her time. This is potentially one of the best hospitals that we have seen, although much needs to be done and staff attracted. We are impressed and it may well become one of the premier hospitals in the country thanks to an interested and hard working administration staff.
Then a Supper with some friends ( excellent food as always, and too much, as always ).

Today started early, bikes packed and off by 07h00. Minus 6 degrees, and just enough light to see the road.
Slow ride where it was hard, so that we could roll on the throttle in the sandy spots without getting to too high a speed for our years. I HATE CORRUGATIONS! Luckily all the goats and cattle were in spots where the road was hard and we could go slowly.

Then the discovery that the pot holes on the tarred road through Setlegode had been filled. Badly, but better than deep holes. North West Provence is making an effort to improve the roads at last. The sections with stop / go are being worked on so the roads will be repaired and working soon.
By the time we got to Delereyville the Wimpy was open and ready to serve us some breakfast.
From then on the temperature improved ( Plus 10 degrees when we got to Johannesburg ) and the wind got worse - stronger and gusty.
The coffee shop at the Shell garage near Coligney was closed and the take-away place had no coffee. Tough, we are HARD CORE.
On to Ventersdorp, Derby and Western Cane where the coffee is always hot.
Petrol at Magaliesburg and then braving the traffic in to Johannesburg and HOME!!

What a great trip, a great holiday, and a GREAT RIDE!
Possibly our best holiday in recent years, and lots of roads to pink in on our wall map of South Africa.

I shall make an effort to post photographs when work allows.

Try Imageshack.com for photo's.

Select the photo.
Click the download to Imageshack.
Highlight the "Forum" option in 800 x 600 once download completes.
Right click to cut 'n paste to the post that you are writing here.

Actually very easy once you've done the first one.

Nice RR.

Thanks.
I may have time tomorrow now that I am back in the land of decent bandwidth.

I shall add pictures as I get time.

Some were taken by me, the better ones by Teresa.

There is an add-on for Mac computers that does most of the work of uploading to Photobucket, and resizes the Photographs.