KLR Pooratech Screen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR500
I can see it now... "Softy", "Wuss", "Traitor to the way of the KLR"... But I shall resist! Sticks and stones gentleman! ;D My large delivery-bike-esque DIY screen works like a charm (at least it will when it's finished!) and I don't think it looks all THAT bad!  :-[

Here are the manufacturing basics:

I used the stock KLR screen to make a cardboard cutout with the correct mounting shape:

I then used a jigsaw to cutout 3 wooden ribs of the same shape:

These were then mounted to a base:

I then tacked 0.6mm steel sheeting to the ribs to complete the mold:

I had no idea if the next step was going to work or not... cover the mold with a cloth, place the perspex in the correct position (after shaping it a little with the jigsaw) and bung it in the oven! I slowly increased the temperature from 100 to about 140 deg and hey presto! 1 x KLR screen!

[/

[URL=https://imageshack.us]

I used 4mm perspex, so it's very rigid. The finish also came out very smooth and regular, result!

I then trial fit it onto the bike just to get an idea of what it was going  to look like. It is mounted on at the moment but havent got around to taking pics yet:

There's a little turbulence at highway speeds but hopefully a small deflector will get rid of that. Otherwise it's really quiet. Will post some more pics showing the mounting procedure (it's damn sturdy!) in due course.

So in short: it may look a little dodge (some jigsaw work will sort that out), it may turn me into a Wuss and Softy (I'll get over it!) and it cost about R100. So for that price, I think it's great!  ;D