KZN Three Waterfall ride 2010-08-29

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
This was quite a short ride – only 150 or so Kms – of which over half was tar and quite easy “gravel highway” but we managed to fit quite a lot of “content” into a little over four hours out there.

I think it was SGB who once said in a report that the amazing thing about riding in KZN is that you don’t need to travel far to get out into the countryside. This is very true, and looking at the tracks of today’s ride the furthest we ever got from the middle of the city of Durban was 37Km - as the Indian Mynah flies - and yet it feels to me as if we were way out in the Zulu Kingdom.

The idea was to visit three waterfalls with a stopover on the top of Ufudu (That I visited last week)

I hope I got the team right, but I remember the pack, in inverse order of engine capacity, as Mr & Nrs Badger on the GS1200, Myself on the XT660Z, two XY660Rs (777 and I. who I now believe is on the forum, but whose forum name I regret I can’t remember Edit Navi ) ,  and non dogs WhizBee and Josh on KLRs and then Husky on the 640.

After meeting in ‘Toti we headed out towards the Nungwane Dam, had a look at the falls from over the gorge, and then headed over to the top of the falls. I must admit the ride down to the top of the falls was far harder than I remember and there was, to me, quite a tricky rocky descent to negotiate. Lucky my bike knew what it was doing even if I didn’t and together we managed the day with no tumbles.

The top of the falls

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_000.jpg

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_001.jpg

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_002.jpg

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_003.jpg

From there we headed over Ufudu and stopped on to of the mountain at the spot I visited last week. Man I enjoyed the top of the mountain. You could just ride in any direction you wanted to without caring about roads and tracks – after the first rains it may be a different story.  

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_004.jpg

Then through the edge of Mlazi Township and down to the bottom of the Kirk (or Delville Woods) falls – This ride was also quite challenging for me as they had covered the road with a generous layer of railway ballast stones and I don’t enjoy riding on loose stones that much.  

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_008.jpg

777 found us an alternative way up the hill on a single path that the MX riders often use, and that was also quite a lot of fun with ruts bumps and sand, but just as I felt I was coming to grips with it we hit the tar again.

From there to the falls at Hammarsdale – I have never managed to find out if they have an official name, but I have always heard them just called the Hammar falls.  A bit more water over these falls.

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_011.jpg

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_012.jpg

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_013.jpg

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_014.jpg

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_016.jpg

Last look down the gorge and then all home.

20100829_THreeWaterfalls_017.jpg

Big thanks to the pack. It was a great day’s riding for me.

Hey Gunda

Thanks for an excellent ride, nice mix of terrain and some beautiful views.
To all the chaps I met today, nice riding with you and hopefully we meet up soon for the next adventure.

Navi said:
Hey Gunda

Thanks for an excellent ride, nice mix of terrain and some beautiful views.
To all the chaps I met today, nice riding with you and hopefully we meet up soon for the next adventure.

Thanks for coming along - and NOW I remember your forum name  ::) Dof  ;D

Hey Gunda, once again you leave me green with envy, what a great place to ride in. BTW, are you now a KZN dog or a GP dog? I'm starting to worry you might have pulled a fast one on us and moved down there permanently?

Great photos!

LeonDude said:
Hey Gunda, once again you leave me green with envy, what a great place to ride in. BTW, are you now a KZN dog or a GP dog? I'm starting to worry you might have pulled a fast one on us and moved down there permanently?

Great photos!

Hey Leon. I dunno where I am - I am a citizen of cyberspace and bikespace - which is any place a client is prepared to buy my time, and there are roads to ride.

Every time completion of a job or project sneaks up on me, they seem to find more work for me. You know me - If I have a bike. A bed. A 'puter.  An iPod, and I really don't give a damn where I am.

makes me homesick those great pics,thanks :thumleft:

I flew into Durban last Tuesday and back out Thursday morning.Stayed with my old toppies in Umkomaas and boy I have never seen the south coast so dry. :eek:

Sorry I did not make it was giving it some serious thought. at about 7am but have been neglecting home repairs for some while now and have ridden bikes 7 out of the last 10 days
By the looks of your pics I should have made it 8.

Thanks and look forward to studying those tracks.

Cheers

Thanks Gunda from Fran and I. Nice ride.

Good to see all the guys as well.

Will try to post some pics too.

The Badger said:

Looking forward to Frans mobile shots. I didn't know what was going on - I looked in the rear view mirror and there is a KLR and GSA coming along behind me two abreast and then I saw the camera. I think the taxi that came around the corner the other way was a bit confused to see a whole wall of bikes  ;D .

GundaGunda said:
The Badger said:

Looking forward to Frans mobile shots. I didn't know what was going on - I looked in the rear view mirror and there is a KLR and GSA coming along behind me two abreast and then I saw the camera. I think the taxi that came around the corner the other way was a bit confused to see a whole wall of bikes  ;D .

Trying to upload now but seem to be having a problem............. ???

Pics

Attachments

• 3 Falls Ride 007.jpg
    3 Falls Ride 007.jpg
    62.7 KB
  • 3 Falls Ride 029.jpg
    3 Falls Ride 029.jpg
    37.4 KB
  • 3 Falls Ride 035.jpg
    3 Falls Ride 035.jpg
    38.3 KB
Awesome area to ride for sure....... :thumleft: