Laurika solo Pilgrims rest to Joburg.\ - February

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurika

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
I like to travel, I like to travel with someone, and without…being solo gives you the freedom to dream while you ride…If your throttle slack off a little , there is no one who worries or fuss about it
Hondsekierie once told me..when you travel alone, you meet more people…I think he was also spot on …I’ve met some amazing people..in ones solitude…

IMG_4478-1.jpg

Malawi left our trip to Swaziland and went off to joburg, for a party….I luxuriously had a late tea 7am…At Pilgrims Rest I saddled my German Filly and took the road back up the pilgrims mountains towards Sabie….took a right and entered some forest roads and curves….sun rising between the trees…magnificent clouds…happiness is….
At the Mac Mac falls…I took a turn thinking that it would lead to the falls..(only having been there when I was six) I was wrong…I entered a forest with a steep incline…rutted roads and loose rocks….after half an hour I gave up and turned around….always great to start your day with a bit of dirt…..

https://i743.photobucket.com/albums/

xx72/adstyle/Swaziland%20with%20malawi%20jones%20February%202011/IMG_4487-1.jpg
The wild Stargazers were amazing…I found the Mac- Mac falls a little later to the left of the road…they wanted R100 entry….after my stay in Blazes’ Foresters arms…..I simply thought ,no more…..

I continued on to Sabi….and visited the falls…not all the falls..only the Horseshoe falls….
Close to the town, and cheap…no hiking, and you can leave your goods on your bike easily without the 1km climb the Bridal falls requires….in them RED boots..I thank not….
The Horseshoe falls has a family of glowing frogs…the only place in the world…you can see them at night….only at the base of the falls…..I was told this by a policeman, deep in the forest…but that’s another part of the story….

I had to go into Sabie to get fuel and money, at the garage I realised that I am still useless on my gps…simple stupid thing, and I am lost on it…so I asked a dude with a mullet and white framed sun glassed….(I should have known better- such foolish styling can only house a foolish head)
“Sure tannie , he said”(wies jou blerrie tannie boet?)….”there is a dirt road going into the forest and enters the Long Tom pass halfway thru….it’s a PT flipping road and is well kept”……
I QUOTE HIM BECAUSE I AM SO AMAZED AT HOW WRONG A PERSON CAN BE….

I track back to the falls and take another dirt road..”its simple he said…you just carry on straight….you will find it…” – it is called THE OLD COACH ROAD…

I started off braced and ready…the road was crap…it got crapper….single track..I was wishing disease on the mullet heads family and children…..
Out of the forest appear a WHITE TOYOTA BAKKIE WITH A BIG BOER IN A 50/50 SHIRT ON….I am relieved……his name is Shaun…he is a traffic policeman in Sabie….the road is not used often, it has 3 forks…no wait…..7 forks…..no wait….it forks a hell of a lot lady…..

I take his number….he offers me accommodation for my next trip…(noted) never does any harm to buddy it up to the police- traffic-  person of a smallish town…..( I have 11 outstanding fines…none in Sabie…)

IMG_4500-1.jpg

The road is hell..loose shoal..pebbles, rocks gravel , everything my standard bike was not created for…sometimes the cornering is so tight, I move at snail’s pace….my bike in low gear 2nd…just keeps on climbing…I love my Helga….so intent I am on the road..I almost miss the waterfall Shaun had told me about…..;its lovely, but no one can reach it….: I stopped the bike, clinching my buttocks and fished out the camera….I have a pic!

The road got beter..and then worse…and then hit the tar…right opposite Misty Hills….
I cruise down long tom pass towards Lydenburg…

Hate the town..hate the Spur…had a warm beer….decided to overnight in Dullsville…a group of riders from the BMW club was going thru there and I wanted to meet up, and perhaps take another go at Barberton and the Kruger fence road…..I took the Tonteldoos road..always a favourite….and stopped at the bloody awfull cheese spot…from past experience I know they have the crappiest coffee and the prettiest garden…..
The whole back road to Dullsville was challenging..after the rains…it was a slide accident waiting to happen…it took me quite a while….

I booked  at the Transvaal in…and went to my favourite pub…the Dulls room arms….(my ancient dog Miles used to frequent the fireplace with a sheep called Hendrik, back when I had a spot there and it hold a special place in my heart) I plotted my next step..had supper and went on another ride….
I will not say much…the road was horrendous…felt like I was attempting Sani pass in the worst season…it was like climbing a rockery sometimes….got home to the hotel and crashed…..
A troupe of super fit cyclists also bedded down, after mixing all their potions and smooching their tubes….bunch of anal  retentive twats…..we all settled in…
Dullsville had the best cuppa chinos….and I met the dudes and dudettes on their way to Barberton…they were terribly paraat…as you can only be if you are on a weekend trip, and I have been on a week trip and tripping the speedometer on 2500km….mostly ktm riders….strange for a BMW funcktion……

I slabbed it to Belfast, took a right to Loskop…and then saw a great dirt road…….always my downfall…you can catch me in a trap with a dirt road…..

It went on , and on…I got worried…it was travelling west on the compass…so I knew at some stage it will hit some road I can handle…..crossed a quarry…strange blue water…sharp flat black rock 90 deg sides…it was early…and a NO ENTRY sign…..crosses railroad…travelled some two tracks….and low and behold….a tar road…..2 hours later….lekker…..

IMG_4543-1.jpg

And anther turn…and a nature reserve…and the Loskop dam….ahhhhhh
Took some rad pics….made me very happy, last time I passed here on my first ride on my bike ever..in the rain, with an open face helmet..and all I remember is PANIC! This was great…..
I lunch at a strange and cheap place…and yes…I had a burger….between two slices of bread…..and ice cold beer…life…is bloody good….there was a dog also…always makes me happy , a dog….
( I watched a very overweight girl at a pool…and her very skinny boyfriend….and their friends..both sexy and in the pool necking….and wondered at the dynamics of this….)
I decided to slab it home…I had been away too long…my geriatric dog was left with my even older mother…..and my journey had to end…..

IMG_4519-1.jpg

We have people and things in our lives..that enriches…friends who  give and teach…and teach us to give….I have such gratitude for the things and people in my life…and all the I learnt from, even the ones who also had moved on…..I travel with all of them…in my heart …. Thank you.

IMG_4514-1.jpg

Looks like you had a flippen good time.  :thumleft:

Chairman Meow said:
Note to self: Check out that part of our country. Niiiiicccceee  :thumleft:
thanks kitty cat....come and visit...bring the missus.... :thumleft: leave the veggimixer at home... :imaposer:

sjoe  Tannie  . veryy nice ,  and yeah  i hear you on the "traveling alone bit "  i enjoy it aswell

woo  nice RR  ... and i bet yer gonna stalk that  cop with the 50/50  , now you got his number 

and  ......  YOU HAVE A ....... COMPASS  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  what  is  THAT  ????
:biggrin:

naaah  really  very  nice  thanks for sharing 

punisher said:
sjoe  Tannie   . veryy nice ,  and yeah  i hear you on the "traveling alone bit "  i enjoy it aswell

woo  nice RR  ... and i bet yer gonna stalk that  cop with the 50/50  , now you got his number 

and  ......  YOU HAVE A ....... COMPASS   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   what  is  THAT  ????

jup..you and meself will go and do the polisiepiet...what do you think of that...a anniversary so to speak....he said he knows many many routes in the area that he can show.....and he was a bit young for this tannie...his snor was still perky.....eek....

Nice pics Laurika. I was in this area with my daughters, and caravan, in December and really liked it.

laurika said:
punisher said:
sjoe  Tannie   . veryy nice ,  and yeah  i hear you on the "traveling alone bit "  i enjoy it aswell

and  ......  YOU HAVE A ....... COMPASS   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   what  is  THAT  ????

jup..you and meself will go and do the polisiepiet...what do you think of that...a anniversary so to speak....he said he knows many many routes in the area that he can show.....and he was a bit young for this tannie...his snor was still perky.....eek....

ahhh  you have such good idea's     sounds like a goodie   :thumleft:

punisher said:
laurika said:
punisher said:

you just organise the kids...and ill be there like a bear...

ET... Aaah, the memories!

VW Beetle, weekends away with the girlfriend wife and our buddies.
Pre-nuptuals, kids, mortgage, work...

Fudmucker said:
ET... Aaah, the memories!

VW Beetle, weekends away with the girlfriend wife and our buddies.
Pre-nuptuals, kids, mortgage, work...
i feel your pain...as the sage says...you get what you settle for....and you have what you wanted  Fuddy... :thumleft:

Laurika, don't get me wrong, but you have got BALLS!!!!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Laurika Rauch with her "Mannetjies Roux" song used to be my favourite "Laurika"!
I think that might have changed! :biggrin:

laurika said:
punisher said:
laurika said:
punisher said:

you just organise the kids...and ill be there like a bear...

cool beeenz

Chuck U Farley said:
Laurika, don't get me wrong, but you have got BALLS!!!!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Laurika Rauch with her "Mannetjies Roux" song used to be my favourite "Laurika"!
hahah, chuck u.....not balls , absolutely NO brains perhaps...but hey...minimalism in the brain is a 'look'?

laurika said:
Chuck U Farley said:

hahah, chuck u.....not balls , absolutely NO brains perhaps...but hey...minimalism in the brain is a 'look'?

Smaak dit stukkend, Sissie! :biggrin:

Chuck U Farley said:
laurika said:
Chuck U Farley said:

Smaak dit stukkend, Sissie! :biggrin:
love your work mate.. :thumleft:

Jinne vrou jy het n oog vir n mooi foto. Hou so aan!! :thumleft: