Living the Dos Sertoes Dream: Racing 4,500km across Brazil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueBull2007 said:
1016640580_m7xeS-L.jpg

Just look at this road book –  Double and triple cautions flow like blood. Those that know how to mark road books properly will know that I left a lot to be desired. Later in the rally I would be see how Marc Coma does it and the difference is unbelievable. I always knew road book marking is very important, but the way it is done can make really make a huge difference to one’s overall speed. It’s critical, not important.

Yeah sure we have done Lots of rallyes....  >:D

I would not know roadbook if it bit me...

Stage 6 Palmas (TO)– S.Félix do Tocantins (TO)

109km - Initial Liaison
424km – Special Stage
2km – Final Liaison

Total for the day 535km.

2010.jpg

Today's stage is the first of the really long ones, with over 400km of special section to complete, we expect it to be rough. Its going to be a long day so we are up early. Its still dark.

The mechanics are still working on the bikes, theyre doing final tests now. They are pretty rough bunch, don’t even having tents to sleep in; nor do they have sleeping bags or mattresses – except for Marcelo’s camp bed.

989595331_oVzc2-L.jpg

They drive all day, and work all night.

989598186_u4oai-L.jpg

I walk over to my bike and see this. If only his mother could see him now, she would probably kill us all.  ;D

Rallies is nie vir sissies nie.  

The support crew aren’t much better off, they’ve been working their asses off to keep us going.

989596235_4GNh9-L.jpg

Randall stands there wondering where he is and what he was supposed to be doing. Camp zombies stumble about everywhere, there has been little or no sleep for five nights in a row. We are all a bit zonked to be honest. The fatigue is catching up with everyone.

1016645138_vinvG-L.jpg

Des does a great job in keeping the atmosphere light. He is his usual, highly amusing self. He is ranting on about how the riders are not really important at all, all we do is ride all day and screw up the bikes for the support team to fix. Dave raises an eyebrow. His eyes are bloodshot, he looks pretty scarey. But then he forgets about it, he is supposed to be getting ready. Des is not preturbed in the least, he continues with his relentless diatribe, much to the amusement of the others. But it serves it's purpose of distracting us and I for one am pleased about that. Pre-race tension is diminished somehow with laughter.

1016645366_iMJ9Y-L.jpg

The condition of my bike's paint job is rapidly deteriorating, but that's the only issues thing for me this morning, and as I said earlier, there is nothing that can be done about that, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

1016645626_SyxfY-L.jpg

The boys have been at it all night again. New tyres on my new rims, new oil, new filters. It starts okay, the battery has been sorted out and I feel better than I have felt about the condition of the bike since the beginning of the rally. I'm exceedingly happy with the Uruguayans, we have built up a great relationship and I can see they have fallen in love with a new baby: My bike. Its actually not even my bike anymore, its become their bike. They tell me to look after it and they will get me to the finish. Marcello points at me when he says this, and I believe him. I will get to the finish. For these guys. Meanwhile, Des checks to see where we have the oil breather, it’s going to puke oil again today that’s for sure. At least this time it won't be all over my left foot and gear lever. This was a problem yesterday.

1016645931_JrJQc-L.jpg

I set off, five minutes later, I get my time card and am gone on another butt-numbing 100km liaison to the start of the special. Just so long as I don't take the wrong artery out of Palmas.

1016646741_vrwev-L.jpg

Although it doesn't look like it on the photos, it’s still pretty early and I am gone before the sun is even up.

1016646956_DcWms-L.jpg

The others start a little bit later so have more time to get ready.

1016647201_s3ig6-L.jpg

Some parakeets yell at the guys from a tree.

989600157_NmkHa-XL.jpg

Marcelo watches the one of the two medical helicopters leaving for its daily duty: Picking up broken and beaten pilots.

989618722_W8hwS-L.jpg

The boys are so thankful they have the day off. No more tyres to change, no oil changes, air filter changes, carburetors to strip, navigation equipment to work on, suspensions, and no more electrical problems. Until tomorrow night. Des books everyone into a hotel and they sleep all day. What a legend!

Des Reports in:
Charlie thanks a million for being the chief enabler of our USA team (s) ! We are in Palmas, Brazil next to a big river like you see in NatGeo. Ate super rad rainbow colored fish for dinner last night. All crew fried from very little sleep but we are now in a Hotel resting up for the blast to Balsas. The guys on the bikes are doing exceptionally well. We are very proud of them.

Brazilian people are just awesome, super, super, super.

The crews with real rally support trucks come over at gas stops and in the bivi saying stuff like "you guys are our heroes, we just can't believe you are going to try to make it in the kombi". We thank them and then cackle of down the road passing as many of them as we can. It is hard to get to the bivi before Dave, Neil and Phil each day. We are truly "full gas" and "peddle to the metal". I very much appreciate the times I have had the honor of driving a real Rally Pan Am prepped F350 (thank you Charlie). I am sure we will make it somehow. We got in a pretty fun race with Jacek's MAN Dakar truck. Their crew basically has sore ribs from laughing each time we get up enough steam to pass them in the Super Numero Uno Chingon Kombi or Pinche Doblo 24 tires on the fake roof rack mobile.

We will call the Organicao this afernoon to make sure all of our guys are in OK. If they have a problem we have some friends on teams with real support vehicles out in Sao Felix that will bring them here to us if something happens. But NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO OUR GUYS TODAY I hope and we will just leave in morning and catch them in Balsas.

We are teamed up with Team Uruguay and Laurent Lazard. He has allowed us to share his mechanics from down near Montevideo. Antonio (farioli) has been a fantastic help in organizing the mechanical support from these amazing guys from Uruguay. As those that have been to a rally know, supporting a few riders at the same time is an awesome responsibilty and a mountain of work each day. It is working very well so far.

We saw a bird that looked like it had got its beak stuck in the end of a banana. Randy Fish said "idiot that is a Toucan".

Wow, just received text from Charlie re the boys in Mongolia all finishing safe, sound and in 1st place (Jonah). Fantastic.

Wish us luck. Thanks for all the well wishes. Bye. Must go change engine and transmission in VW now. Not.

Des and Randy

Meanwhile, I arrive at the start of the special. I’m tired already and I don’t feel like sitting on the bike anymore. At least I suppose I will be moving around. I normally stand on the tighter stuff, but find myself sitting or “hovering” behind the nav. tower more often to minimize wind resistance anywhere I can go fast. So I’m not too pleased I have a numb ass already. I’m beginning to really appreciate the advice legendary Dakar privateer Christophe Barriere-Varju gave me: "Always wear a double pair of cycling shorts under your riding pants. You know, the type without the padding." The slippery material reduces wear and tear in the nether regions and believe me after 5-6 days in the saddle all day long you do not want a rash or horse-sores to get started. Mix that with some sweat and a quick trip into the bush somewhere on a stage and you can end up with a filthy, raw and bleeding, festering disaster zone that is simply too painful to sit on and can ruin your whole rally, never mind your day.  
:puke_r: :pottytrain2:  
Riders don't often talk about this for obvious reasons, but it happens and it can and does end people's rallies.  :sad2: At this juncture I would like to personally endorse Johnson & Johnson's baby oil, it does wonders for planet Uranus.  :biggrin: Oh ja, it also makes a great emergency replacement brake fluid. No rider should be allowed out there without a small bottle of the stuff.

Right...moving on.:biggrin:

My special starts smoothly which is a great change. I’m feeling relaxed as I follow a twisting track up the side of a steep hillside. The bike is sliding around beneath me, but I’m in control and its really good fun. It’s very dusty, but that’s because there are three quads in front of me. -Did I tell you I hate quads?- I can’t get close enough to pass the bastards, it just too dangerous, so I ease back and enjoy the scenery a bit instead, relax and wait for an opportunity once the breeze picks up or the terrain changes.

After about an hour, we enter an area that looks like Zambian bush, lots of biggish trees growing in light brown sand. The road varies between very soft, and hard conditions and it take a little bit of getting used to moving through the different materials.  There are patches of soft stuff in the potholes and the bikes breakthrough in places into more soft stuff. I catch one of the quads and get past him smugly, on a corner he has taken too wide. The bloke is having a bit of drama, thrashing through thick undergrowth alongside the road.  

997775820_UmUm3-L.jpg

I’m loving it and the ride is going well.

997774332_ttqX5-L.jpg

It gets more and more sandy. The bike is all over the place but when you’re squirreling along 140km/hr it tends to self-correct. I relax on the bars and let it do its thing, rather shifting my weight on the pegs when it’s necessary to change direction. This is so much fun.

Yeah the posts are limited to 20,000 characters, I will have the next one out in a lil bit, working on it now.

Great report Neil :thumleft:

You must be taking as much strain in doing the report than you did in the race :eek7:

Respect :notworthy: :paw: :notworthy:

997775820_UmUm3-L.jpg

We stop for a refuel and press on. The bush gets smaller again and after a while we turn off the road and start following soft, sandy tracks.

1003303999_mtjWV-L.jpg

Stuff like this. It is easy so long as you have some speed, but it gets more twisty and I need to do a lot more work getting the bike around the corners. I follow my friend and fellow ADVrider inmate Vincente Benedict (vbenedict) for a while, but he is riding slower and I end up working harder to keep the bike there. I wait for the road to straighten a little and blast past him, its narrow and I nearly take us both out as I make the gap thanks to the uneven tracks in the sand. Keeping the speed high, I dodge a deep, nasty rut that develops on the right hand side of the track. Vincente pulls in behind me but drops back a bit to get out of my dust.

Quickly we are into deep, white sand again and the track becomes more tortured as it turns and little twists around trees. We slide from one track into the other to get the best line through each corner, it's very hard work because most of the corners are blind thanks to the thick bush. Lots of emergency braking is necessary and in a couple of place, the bush is all flattened where faster guys have overshot and gone gardening. The bush has encroached on us and tears away at our bikes and clothes, it is time to really hang on. The road tightens even more and I have to slow the pace, spinning the bike MX-style through each bend: Left, right, left right, left fork, right turn, left right, right fork and so on. The navigation gets more complicated because everything looks the same. Its only a  matter of time as I miss a turn somewhere and after a while notice the tracks are no longer fresh. Damn. All the little turns look so similar. Vincente has followed me and realizing our error, has turned around before me, so I follow him, hoping he is not as disoriented as I am. We are soon onto fresh tracks again but it takes me a good ten minutes to work out where I am in the road book. All that time I am nipping we are going to hit a caution but it blessfully turns out to be unwarranted. Vincente's dust and my more cautious riding has slowed me down though, and it takes a good 20 minutes for me to catch Vincente again.

1003304561_T3i7G-L.jpg

Here he is earlier in the stage. When I watch him riding he is very precise and cautious, and it pays off, because he always does well.

I manage to get past him again before we enter another hectic series of sandy track. The main track has some bad erosions in it and we're constantly twisting and turning on and off tributaries to the main track. The navigation is still difficult as is the riding technical and strenuous. After a while I get too tired and lose it on a corner, plumping down ungracefully into the soft sand. There is sand everywhere, in my boots, down my jacket and in my helmet. Somehow it even gets into my goggles and eyes. It takes me a couple of minutes to sort myself out, and get the overheated bike started again, but even so no-one passes me during this time.

I’m thankful for that, but I’m really exhausted, and I wonder how much further I have to go. I normally know from the mileage that I write on the edge of my road book each night indicating refuelling points, end of special etc. Today it has rubbed off. The ICO which only goes up to 99km tells me I’m at 0.230 km so I really hope I’m in the last hundred kilometers or so. I spend the next few minutes trying to remember how far the liaison is. Was it four or five hundred kilometers to the end? Eventually it comes to me that I already had a 100km liaison so I still have over 100km to go even though I’m on over 400km on the road book!

I suck at my camelback and it goes dry. Oh boy. Nothing for it now but to press onwards as fast as possible. I have a 3 litre water tank but trying to get water out of is just going to waste more time. This is not an emergency - yet.  The sandy road is unremitting, it’s not so fun anymore because it is slow and I have to compensate with my arms twisting the bars back and forth the whole time. This is one huge endless MX circuit we are riding and it is almost comical in its monotony. I build up a kind of numbing rhythm, braking hard on the rear end to slide the bike into each corner, stamping the ground with my feet to keep the bike up, and wringing the throttle’s neck as I burst through the far side of each corner. The tails whips out and I get a bit of a tank slapper each time as I pull away. There is wrestling to be done to keep the bike out of the trees and bush that is overgrowing the trail. Then its straight into the next corner, more hard braking again and so on.

I have lost my sense of direction, I cannot see the GPS reading thanks to the glaring sun, so all I do is count the kilometers on the ICO, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, each time working out that I have probably only one hundred more to go, because I don’t remember exactly how far it was. Was it 580 or 530km? This is all I can think about, and force myself to keep it up so as not to start panicking about the water situation and the unbearable heat. The bike is really hot and I have had the fans running for most of the stage. Oil has been pouring out the breather vent and the front of my bike is a mess of sand and oil. This is a test of equipment all right. I drop the bike twice more but and its all getting a bit desperate when suddenly the track T-junctions against a nice welcoming, wide, sandy road. About thirty kilometers later I arrive at the end of the special. What a relief.

I think I have been battling when leaving the time control point, I pass a pilot running along, pushing his bike along the last 2km liaison. I stop next to him and ask him if he needs help. His handlebars have come completely off and are lying on his fuel tank. It looks like he has somehow stripped the main bolts holding them on. He just stares at me, through me really, his eyes look vacant and dead. Not a word. He passes me without stopping continuing up the road. I ask him if he is okay. Again he ignores me. How he is keeping the wheel straight is beyond me.

I quite disturbed by this, but shrug it off, I need to get out of this heat and to the park ferme myself before my maximum time for the liaison runs out. 

1016863116_4UAoV-L.jpg

The park ferme is a fenced off lot in the village.

1016862559_TkVZt-L.jpg

Filling up at the only fuel pump, I pull in and meet the FIM officials. My Italian friend is looking very serious and tells me I have fifteen minutes left. What? What happened to the twenty minutes I was supposed to have? He tells me that includes refueling. Hmm. That leaves me with very little time, I had better get to it. I pull off my seat and replace the air filter. I top up my oil with a little bottle I have in a pocket in my jacket. There is just enough time for me to put my fairing on and park the bike.

I suddenly realize I am lost without our support crew. I feel terribly alone. Dave and Phil are still out there somewhere riding the sand track from hell. Where are we going to sleep tonight? I stand at the entrance of the par ferme and look about. This village looks not much better that your typical South African squatter camp. I stumble along a street for about 500m before I come across some Brazilian riders relaxing in the shade outside a hut. They welcome me, and tell me to sit down and relax. They kindly offer me a coke. I’m parched and down it really fast. It is so, so hot, it must be close to 40 degrees in the shade out here. I munch on an energy bar and start to feel a little bit better. I’m hoping I can share the hut with them but there is not enough space. Anyway there is Dave and Phil to worry about too.

How the heck am I going to find a place to stay? I can’t speak the language, who do I ask? I have no idea. I can’t exactly invite myself into someone’s house. It wouldn’t be right. The Brazilians riders tell me they are off for some food, but I can use the shower in their rented house. I gratefully accept and relax under a cold shower. This solves all my problems temporarily, although it’s a weird situation: The owner of the house, a old lady is bustling about and waits for me politely outside the shower. It all a bit awkward because all there is, is a curtain between us. I don’t have a towel or a change of clothes, but I’m too tired to really care. I pull on my riding shorts and shirt again and stumble outside with my jacket, pants, knee braces, and armored vest in a bundle under my one arm with and my helmet under my other arm. She says something to me I don't understand. I smile back at her and tell her in Afrikaans: "Ek is moeg geploeg. Baiae dankie vir die stort."

What do I do with my boots? I have no spare hands. I don’t have slops or anything so I figure I just have to put them on. I must look quite the sight: This pale gringo in blue underwear and riding boots, white legs reflecting in the sun, lumping this huge bundle of heavy kit along the street. I realize this is crazy, so I go back and just dump it all outside the house. If someone wants it they can take it. It stinks pretty bad anyway. I return to the fuel station see if I can find a place to eat as well. I’ve developed the usual post-ride insatiable, ravenous appetite and I need to sort that out fast.

Next to the fuel station is a little open-air hut made of grass. They’re selling food inside, Phil and Dave have arrived and are also there! They’re looking pretty worse for wear. Absolutely f***** actually, the same as me, there is no other way to describe it. I grab some stewed meat with rice and avoid the salad, a surefire way to get the runs. We sit at the table silently devouring the food before us. Dave finishes first and set about looking for accommodation outside with another rider acting as translator. I ask the cook in Spanish if he knows where we can stay. He disappears for a while and comes back with this elderly gentleman in tow who says he can help us. I call Dave who has also found a place but my guy sounds like a better deal, so we opt to follow him, slowly walking through the village of San Felix de Tocantins. We trudge out the opposite side and looking at each other we wonder how far he is going to go. Walking in boots is really not that fun and we are missing our bikes already.

We eventually arrive at the last house in the village, his place clearly. He opens it up and reveals a simple, very rustic, but functional layout. It turns out he is some or other government official, quite the big shot here. The fridge is full of oranges and fresh milk; he has some buns out for us and shows us the bedrooms. We have a bed each in two rooms. Real beds! A real, cold shower. He has internet! Amazing out here in the boonies and there is internet. Talk about luxury, especially compared to the revolting conditions we have been camping in so far. We wonder where he will be staying, because there are only three beds. He insists the place is ours, he will stay somewhere elsewhere and hands us the key, explaining where to hide it when we go out. We are stumped by his generosity. We ask him how much we owe him and he tells us it is his small gift to us. He wants no money.

We are flabbergasted. Do you know of anyone who is prepared to move out of his house for a group of filthy dirty bikers you have never met? I don’t. Not until today. It humbles us immensely, we are so grateful. We have to leave something for this guy. I go back across town to fetch my gear while the other decide to visit a local spring for a wash.

1003304441_A8sfE-L.jpg

It turns out to be really beautiful.

I take another shower to cool off instead and have a powernap as well. Sleeping on a bed without the sound of machines around me is a wonderful, wonderful thing indeed. When I wake up feel really rejuvenated, I think I must have got a little bit of heat exhaustion.

We stroll back into town, three muskateers dressed in only our underwear. We comment where would this be considered pretty weird behavior, but over here we only attract sympathetic smiles. Its time for the briefing, and we crowd into in a junior school classroom. Our translator is not there, but it wouldnt have helped the briefing was chaos. I spend the next hour trying to get my time back for helping the injured guy the day before. I have to apply in writing. I get this done and while I eat dinner, I get a response from the FIM race committee next door that my appeal is accepted, even though it is a day late. I celebrate by eating another dinner, washed down with electrolyte replacement I brought with me.

I trot back to our palace set into the shack and set to marking my road book with the guys. We feel like kings here, really. It's strangley quiet, real bliss. We discuss the day quietly, it was tough, very hot, but not so bad anymore. We are all a little concerned about our bikes. Phil has electrical problems, nothing works. Dave has a leaking shock and a fuel problem. I seem to be okay, but Im worried about cooking the engine. We can get through tomorrow. Its going to be another 450km of the same. We can do it again. We will do it. One step at a time. Its only four stages to go now. We cannot crash out. We will not crash out. As Phil aptly has written on his bike. Focus. Flow. Finish.

We hit lights out and instantly asleep. A really nice, peaceful sleep.

1017634104_V8sJ8-L.jpg

Phil and I have climbed 11 places today, and 10 & 9 places overall. We both climbed 4 places in our class. AWESOME. Dave holds his position in his class but drops two places, also fantastic. We feel like heroes. Phil and I would be if we could just manage our radar zone penalties! At least we have no new ones today.

As I dream about the hardships of my race today, I have no inkling of the epic experience that is about to befall me tomorrow.

1003303900_8NVYP-L.jpg

It’s the second marathon stage bringing fresh challenges including this river crossing among others.

Hmmm, too much petty detail/too much text? Let me know. :-\

Im sorry this stage didnt have many pics, we were in the boonies big time. 

Im flying out to RSA at 5pm your time, I hope to get the next issue out by then, dis harde werk mense. Brink jy's reg, its moeilike as die rally self!  ;D

BlueBull2007 said:

Not too much text at all!!! I love reading every single word!!!

No way BB!!!  It's like reading a horror novel  >:D

Seriously, we really appreciate the effort you are putting into this RR  :thumleft:  For most of us, this will be the closest we'll ever get to the Dos Sertoes rally.

:drif:

BlueBull2007 said:
"Ek is moeg geploeg. Baiae dankie vir die stort."
:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Daai tannie het seker vir haarself gedink "Watse stront praat die Laanie nou?"

BlueBull2007 said:

Oh hell no!!!

This was the best stage yet!!!! The stuff you find in coffee table books!
EPIC SHIT!

I still want an autographed copy of the book. Debst it way back.

If you are ever in Brisbane prepping for the Aus Safari :mwink:, I'll buy you a beer

Kreef said:
BlueBull2007 said:

Not too much text at all!!! I love reading every single word!!!

+100!

BB, your report/writing is fantastic - gives one a real insight into the nitty gritty and details of what's involved in an event like this!
I know it's a huge amount of effort to compile a report like this - thanks once again for your dedication!
Hope you have a good flight over to SA

Your RR is PERFECT ...

Thanx for all the hard work in putting this together & sharing the experience ... you write it in such a way that we "live" it in the moment  :thumleft:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Keep it up to the very end.  :thumleft:  It's the best thing I've read since God knows when.  Thank you, thank you.

Latest posts