Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lekker man Schalk, ek hoop jy kom sonder enige ongemak in Italia aan!

:thumleft: lets just get him going so we can get the RR  :imaposer:

Schalk,baie sterkte.....jy is ons superster.... :) :thumleft:

ons bid dat jy altyd veilig en gesond sal wees...

Draad said:
:thumleft: lets just get him going so we can get the RR   :imaposer:
Dit lyk vir my hier is eers 'n skip die 4de Aug en hulle kan eers Dinsdag vir my 'n prys gee. Ek is maar 'n ongeduldige tipe ou. Ek sit nou hier in Alexandria Groete

adamktm said:
Awesome news!! Well done Draad for organizing!!

Can't wait for the Italian leg!
I also can't wait but this place has swallowed me and won't let go of me. I am sitting in Alexandria now

Port Said to Alexandria Update 27/07/15
Just a bit of back tracking. So here I was in the city of Port Said to try and get a ferry over to Italy but to no avail. I then saw on a map of Port Said that there is a Yacht Club on the other side of the Suez Canal. The other side is called Port Fuad and is part of Asia where Port Said is part of Africa. I thought I would go and see if there are any private yachts lying there and maybe with a bit of luck one of them are going to Europe across the Mediterranean Sea. So I took a ferry across which to my surprise cost nothing. Arriving there they would not allow me entry as they say I need a stamp in my passport and that I must get from the Harbour Police which is back on the Port Said side. So off on to the ferry again back to the other side but the guy there could not understand me properly. So I use my translator on my phone and he just said no he is not going to put a stamp into my passport. So I was off to Port Fuad again and arriving there I saw a hole in the fence. As I am not a guy for red tape I climbed through the fence and walked right past the guard who turned me away earlier but he was facing the gate while I past behind him. There were 2 yachts lying in the water at the yacht club and I climbed on to the one. The skipper was from Sudan and this guy like the rest of his country men were a very nice guy. He spoke good English unlike most Egyptians and immediately offered me some Turkish coffee. We had a nice chat but the sad news is that the both Yachts are there for repairs and after four weeks the one is going to Turkey for a revamp as they are being used along the Red Sea for diving charters. So after a nice chat and more coffee I was off again to Port Said side.
That night I took some washing to the laundry (they operate from 12midday to 12 midnight like most places) and I met a guy there that said he has been a sailor for 20 years and he will organize me a boat from Alexandria. Then the same night a guy by the name of Jacques Reinecke (WD) phoned me to say I must phone one of his contacts a Dr. Mohamed who is the head of the Egyptian Electricity supply commission like Eskom in SA. Dr. Mohamed is a very nice guy and in turn gave me the number of Hoda of Fast Freight in Alexandria. She told me to come to Alexandria in the meantime while they will find out about the ships to Italy.
The next morning I was off to Alexandria along the Mediterranean Sea and I must say it was much cooler than the desert heat I have experienced up to now. Upon arriving into Alexandria the highway was a bit inland and I did not have a clue of where is what but I thought I will drive towards the sea until I find it and if I stay along the coast I will drive until I find the Harbour. It happened exactly like that but the traffic was chaotic. I drove for about 30km all along the beach which was packed to capacity. The road has 5 lanes one way but they fit 6 cars in next to each other. All cars are continuously hooting at I do not know for what. They drive at about 90km an hour in town traffic and when they go around a bend they just cut the corner. Then you would get a couple of guys that even go faster than that and just weave through the already chaotic traffic. White doted lanes are just there to make the city look nice and mirrors are there just for decorations on a car. Out of thousands of cars I could not see one car that has not got a dent or a scratch on. They also swerve from one side to the other extremely close past each other and I felt completely unsafe. I think the Voetspore team will also take a taxi here like they have done in Nairobi. I eventually stopped just to take a break from this madness. I have so far survived Dar es Salaam and Nairobi traffic but this is on another level again and each of the three cities has a different drive style. Eventually after I built up enough courage I continued and arrived alive at the Alexander Port. I booked into an hotel close by. The next day I went to Fast Freight but they only started to work on my problem when I got there so at this stage it looks like I would not be able to go on the same boat as my bike and they will only have a price for me by the 28/07/15 and my bike can only leave Alexandria by the 4/08/15 earliest provided the price is right. So overland to Israel there is no way due to the conflict in the Sinai among the Egyptian troops and their own people. By sea I have tried every avenue so we will see what comes from this. With these delays I am going to miss my appointment with Flavio the KTM dealer from Ethiopia who is leaving Italy by the 31/07/15.  Hope to have some positive news next time.

Photo 1 Sea view from Port Said Side
Photo 2 Huge burger I had before going on the ferry
Photo 3 Car on the ferry from Port Said to Port Fuad

Attachments

• SAM_0980.jpg
    SAM_0980.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 666
  • SAM_0982.jpg
    SAM_0982.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 673
  • SAM_0979.jpg
    SAM_0979.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 651
Ferry between Port Said and Port Fuad

Attachments

• SAM_0983.jpg
    SAM_0983.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 700
  • SAM_0985.jpg
    SAM_0985.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 661
  • SAM_0986.jpg
    SAM_0986.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 667
Ferry between Port Said and Port Fuad

Attachments

• SAM_0987.jpg
    SAM_0987.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 666
  • SAM_0988.jpg
    SAM_0988.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 683
  • SAM_0989.jpg
    SAM_0989.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 659
On the ferry between Port Said and Port Fuad

Attachments

• SAM_0990.jpg
    SAM_0990.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 643
  • SAM_0995.jpg
    SAM_0995.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 638
  • SAM_0991.jpg
    SAM_0991.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 658
Photo 1 The Sudanese Skipper at the yacht club
Photo 2 The hotel allowed me to keep my bike inside of the hotel. So when I left I loaded my bike strait from the lift in the lob

Attachments

• SAM_0992.jpg
    SAM_0992.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 641
  • SAM_0998.jpg
    SAM_0998.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 646
Photo 1 Half way between Port Said and Alexandria on the Mediterranean Sea

Attachments

• SAM_1001.jpg
    SAM_1001.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 644