Matroosberg. A quiet ride. (Yeah right!) "Video" added on page 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adv said:
Ek het al Hp2 daar sien uitgaan :)

Met sukkel...

ADV dit motivate my net meer! :biggrin: sal maar weer vir pleco moet saam sleep tot daar  >:D

ROOST said:
adv said:
Ek het al Hp2 daar sien uitgaan :)

Met sukkel...

ADV dit motivate my net meer! :biggrin: sal maar weer vir pleco moet saam sleep tot daar  >:D

Ken jy vir NARRE??

NARREF@K!!!

Michiel het gese jy kan Matroosberg op, dit hang net af hoeveel jy jou bike kan optel. In Roost se geval, was dit om te kyk hoeveel keer hy sy swaer en sy swaer se bike kan optel tot bo!  :imaposer:

Nice fotos :thumleft: ,maar nou moet ek nog 'n baadjie gaan soek na ek die report gelees het!

Wow! Now that looks like a day to remember! Show the pics one day to your grandchildren, they'll the old man was an yster on his day!  :thumleft:

bloody hell...see-ree-yaas respect  :thumleft:!!! what awesome pictures, sooo glad i can see what it looks like up there cos i'd never have the guts to go up there and check it out for myself ;D ! very glad you all made it safely back down too

I was keen to have joined you on Sunday but had something on. Your photo's and story got me out early this morning.

I didn't arrive as early as you guys, I got there about 9.30.

It is a beautiful part of the world. I see what you guys mean about catching up to 4x4's especially on the trickier sections. It only happened to me once on the hard first section, getting going again wasn't easy.

I caught him here,

Much less snow than when you guys went,

This was as far as I was ready to go, I got halfway up the track to the masts. It's pretty heavy going and not novice friendly. It's not even experienced friendly. It's tough.

The only fall was turning around to go back.

It was here that I had a mystery of a breakdown. The after fiddling for a bit, all was well for the rest of the day? I suspect the fuse box contacts needed to be cleaned.

I went down and over to the snow on the saddle but it has hardened to ice and is no fun at all.

I found going down the top section hardest, the big rocks move and roll making it tough, much tougher to me than going up, definitely sweated more on the way down.

I came back home via Bainskloof. A stunning day, a good 400k's. Sorry I didn't go with you.

:)

Attachments

• P1080882 [800x600].jpg
    P1080882 [800x600].jpg
    76.8 KB
Well done Kamanya.  :ricky:

Where's the video man?

That first piece is seriously steep, and the last piece to the mast is something else entirely. Taking that beast up there must have been taxing!

I agree with you, coming down is much worse than going up! If you slipped in an oil patch almost at the bottom, sorry that was me!

You turned around where Roost started dragging me kicking and screaming further up the mountain. But the ice and my road tyres did not mix well.

The road from there up, actually gets easier except in the corners, where it gets much worse.

You scored one for the old guys :thumleft:

Ah, a computer....
For those of us who ride ANY surface, the day started with a freezing jaunt from Cape Town. Heading out iof Worcester, I saw my dashboard drop to 0degrees for the first time, and my heated grips ceased to help. "Never mind", I thought, "we're meeting at the Spur, and they're getting to know my capacity for coffee and hot breakfast. " However, arriving in Ceres, I found Roost, Pleco and Deon standing next to the transporter, and the Spur looking less than its welcoming self. Oh well. As I was suiting up once more, Mr Big rode up, followed by Michiel and Malcolm, also with bikes sitting comfortably on a bakkie. Later, these were to look equally comfortable on what is apparently a trail...
With the daunting disclaimers signed ("we accept NO responsibility if you fall off, over a cliff, die of hypothermia, or wreck your fancy machinery" -kind of thing), we were off. And then I was off. I should have known with a place named Land rover hill that something would go wrong. Rules for riding with Monkeyboy:
Follow him. Where he rides, that's the wrong line.
On longer trips, follow him. By the time all his luggage has fallen off, you will have scored a nice backpack, sleeping bag, and a jerry can of gas.
Anyway, Mr Big and Michiel got some exercise pushing me up, and my fears that I had bitten off more than I could chew were looking to be well-founded, when suddenly.... that was it. Level(ish) road, plain sailing. The rocky sections were easily dealt with, the 800 taking them with me sitting (yes) pretty, doing little more than squirting the throttle when necessary. By the time we crested the summit, or at least the lookout point,my mantra of "it's just a big mountain bike" was almost starting to work.
I should mention that I had my GoPro helmet cam on, which managed to take a series of 5 second long videos. hmmph.

Monkeyboy, what speed sd card are you using? If its too slow it won't allow you to record continually.
With HD video the best is to go with a category 8 or 10.

Awesome RR , thanks for posting the lekker photos :drif:

Mr Big , Michiel etc you guys are such daredevils , always pushing the envelope , hey?  >:D  :mwink: Looks like you had so much fun !

And as for you Pleco to have made it to near the top , I never knew you were so hard core , BIG Respect   :notworthy: :notworthy:

Monkey Boy , awesome even to have made it to where you made it.  :thumleft:

I went up Matroosberg as a passenger in a 4x4 abt 2 years ago and it was flippen scary enough.  The snow has no traction and on those tight corners my friend just gassed it and you would slither right to the edge of the mountain, look down the abyss and at the last minute not fall over. My friend's wife sobbed like a baby , shame , but I must say it was hectic , my stomach was in knots a few times.  But even as scared as I was I thought one day I would want to ride up there  :drif: , but def on a smaller bike with a higher bash plate. Its on my list ,but will have to wait till I grow balls or something  :biggrin:

Rynet said:
Awesome RR , thanks for posting the lekker photos :drif:

Mr Big , Michiel etc you guys are such daredevils , always pushing the envelope , hey?  >:D  :mwink: Looks like you had so much fun !

And as for you Pleco to have made it to near the top , I never knew you were so hard core , BIG Respect   :notworthy: :notworthy:

Monkey Boy , awesome even to have made it to where you made it.  :thumleft:

I went up Matroosberg as a passenger in a 4x4 abt 2 years ago and it was flippen scary enough.  The snow has no traction and on those tight corners my friend just gassed it and you would slither right to the edge of the mountain, look down the abyss and at the last minute not fall over. My friend's wife sobbed like a baby , shame , but I must say it was hectic , my stomach was in knots a few times.  But even as scared as I was I thought one day I would want to ride up there  :drif: , but def on a smaller bike with a higher bash plate. Its on my list ,but will have to wait till I grow balls or something  :biggrin:

I was pushing myself past the last little bit of endurance I had, but if it was not for Roost (old Shredder) I would have given up way down on the mountain. (See the expression on Andrew's face above. You can see the exertion and the thousand mile stare! :biggrin: I was way past that)

Monkeyboy rode that F800, as if it was a big mountain bike.  :ricky: Now lets see some pics, and maybe you can save some video?

wow Kamanya I can hardly believe how much less snow there is 2 days later!
Seems we timed it well. Pity indeed you couldn't join us on the day.

Pleco said:
Where's the video man?

I've damaged the cable, waiting for a replacement.

Pleco said:
That first piece is seriously steep, and the last piece to the mast is something else entirely. Taking that beast up there must have been taxing!

I dialed a few clicks off the compression and damping on the front. The suspension just ate it up. The bike makes it much easier. I stopped mostly because I was on my own.

Pleco said:

Hmmph!

Brilliant ride and photos,stunning. :thumleft: :thumleft:
It's Ride reports like this that give us well those of us that will not ride those rocky technical roads a feeling of being there and making us green with envy.Thanks :thumleft:

Kamanya said:
Pleco said:

Hmmph!

Ouch  ;D

Just shows how this 'sport' doesn't discriminate; crosssing generations with ease and bring us together to enjoy what we love.
10 years difference between Malcolm and Michiel; 10 year again between Michiel and I and yet we all kakked off equally in our snowy detour!  :biggrin: