Monkeyboy lost his rim tape.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AntonW said:
Basically I found out my bike hates long tar hard riding and drinks oil by the litres.... Just before Piketberg the bike overheated and Loki needed to give me some oil.

I did know you had a KLR  :imaposer:

My tractor hates tar even worse than a KLR....

Anyway, I am happy to report that even if I was stuck next to the road all night I would not have gone hungry. Watching Bear Grylls taught me food can come from the most unlikely of places.

545565_10151435394222575_180567874_n.jpg

Yummy!

roxenz said:
Yip, looks like a stressful ride was had - I would not swim there!   :imaposer:

:imaposer: I did NOT notice that! Classic! Must have belonged to the two 1200 BMW riders who accidentally stumbled upon Wuppertal and shat themselves. Apparently literally.

Operator said:
Lekka ride report  :thumleft:

Lots of man-love going around  :patch:

......but I remembered that these guys also drink at the Fireman's Arms  ;D ;D ;D ;D
These guys drink farking anywhere!

Here's my contribution to the RR...

Waiting for MissM, Monkeyboy & BigEasy at Engen Winelands
IMG_0531.jpg

First stop was on Bain's Kloof pass
IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

I was so sick and tired of the tar, that by the time we got to the dirt, I bolted! A few kms on, I realised no-one was following me, so I stopped to let them catch up.
IMG_0536.jpg

While I waited, I took some pics...
IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

Can you see the snow? It wasn't that cold though.
IMG_0539.jpg

Eventually, I started thinking perhaps someone has had an off, so I jumped on the bike, and headed back to find them.
It wasn't too long before I came across BigEasy (who had also stopped to take some pics). He also didn't know where MissM & Monkeyboy were, so I went a bit further, and found them playing with their tyre pressures.

After finding the missing riders, I turned around and we headed back to where BigEasy was waiting for us... and then there were four. :)
IMG_0542.jpg

Murphy, the drol, is alive and well, and decided that because I had packed my tools below all my other stuff in my saddle bags, it would be funny if my clutch perch came loose.
I stopped on the downhill just before Mount Cedar, and unpacked everything to get to my tools. I tightened the clutch perch, put my tools back (now in a more accessable spot), and was soon on my way.

She's such a poser ;-)
IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

At Oasis
IMG_0559.jpg

Beers were welcomed all round
IMG_0560.jpg

Bikes
IMG_0561.jpg

Monkeyboy, MissM & myself went to Sanddrif for a swim in the river, and to top up with petrol
IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

It might look inviting, but don't be fooled, it was freezing
IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

We met up with these two unlucky guys who came from Wupperthal, and discovered at Sanddrif that their olive oil and suncream had gotten frisky in the top-box, so they were cleaning all their stuff in the river
IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

MissM went back to camp, and Monkeyboy and I went exploring at the Wolfberg Cracks
IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Table Mountain has a "mini-me"
IMG_0572.jpg

Chantal out-did herself as always, coz our food was fantastic!
IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

I love this picture!
IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

I made my mark. After seeing how far I needed to carry the rocks, I decided that "Tony" was a better option than "DirtHound".  ;D
IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Monkeyboy getting the Dommie out the water
IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

We all had to drain our boots, coz they were soaked
IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Everyone has their own method of "drying the goods"
IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

The offending water crossing that dominated the Dominator.
It's deeper than it looks - while helping to push the bike out, there were places where the water was just over my knees
IMG_0606.jpg

David came to chat to us while we tried to revive the drowned bike. I don't think he gets many visitors
IMG_0608.jpg

Monkeyboy getting the sparkplug out
IMG_0609.jpg

After taking the sparkplug out and drying out the air-filter, it still refused to start, but now we had worn the battery down.
We decided to push-start it, so while Big Easy and Monkeyboy huffed and puffed up this hill I took this picture. :)
IMG_0610.jpg

A couple of trips up and down the hill confirmed the Dominator's fate, so we loaded it onto a passing bakkie, and followed it back to Oasis
IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Fighter pilot
IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

The twisty, turny bits coming up Bain's Kloof pass from the Ceres side was such a lot of fun. The sun was already setting by the time we were coming down the pass, so needless to say, we arrived home in the dark.
IMG_0619.jpg

I had an uber-fantastic weekend, but my 'tractor' also doesn't like the long stretches of tar, so I think I'm going to stick to the local stuff, with fewer longer trips in between. If I do decide to go on longer rides, they will be done a bit slower.

Thanks so much Dirthound for these pictures, and so glad that you captured our 3 hours of misery with the Dommie.  :xxbah: I was far too frustrated and pissed off with myself to capture that on camera!  :sip:

Can't wait to try some sand at Parklands with you sometime soon...

Thanks for this ride report, MissM and DirtHound. Great photos and great narrative.