My Kove 450 Rally February 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yip, a simple & effective solution.......... until it is damaged, which on an offroad bike won't be too long, and then the engine seizes. I did propose drilling a hole and mount a sight-tube, quite like on the XR650R, but the space available as well as the risk of damage (leaking!) goes a bit far....
Nah, let's wait for Kove to come up with a sightglass rather, and I don't mind to dip-check from time to time.

Nee man

Instructions for use:

Warm up bike
Lay bike on side
Remove oil drain plug
Install Easy Drain Tool
Stand bike back up
Drain oil
Remove Easy Drain Tool
Install drain plug and finish oil change
Clean oil residue from Easy Drain Tool

April can't come soon enough.
Looking forward to seeing the bike on the Wild Coast and Lesotho trip. Must admit I haven't looked forward to seeing a new model this much since my MB-5 Bobcat in 1980.

Clean oil residue from Easy Drain Tool

I thought you actually knew Conrad??????
Spill oil on his workshop floor and get summarily killed, abused, fired from any relationship you have with him, his family or his business, and all this simultaneously! 😋
Naah, not me eh, I rather will stay privileged to be allowed entry there, if only for their superb coffee! ☕

I thought you actually knew Conrad??????
Spill oil on his workshop floor and get summarily killed, abused, fired from any relationship you have with him, his family or his business, and all this simultaneously! 😋
Naah, not me eh, I rather will stay privileged to be allowed entry there, if only for their superb coffee! ☕

That's exactly why I recommended it.
:)

Dan, here's perhaps a surprise for you: I also am farfromfond of Chinese rubbish!

We both are old enough to remember "JapScrap", shit Made in Japan that was hardly worth looking at!
But eh, these days?????
YOU are a Yamaha fan, and I am fond of Toyota, hell, even fond of Honda quality (note, quality only)..... so somewhere somehow times did change eh?
Then came "Made in Taiwan" .... oooooohh dear, another shitload of shite coming our way!
But eh, Hyundai or Kia anyone now?
We all (should) know what happened if we look back.

Now there's China crap, for long already, and the crap-bit is very much earned also!
But, but.... there's also good Chinese quality, excellent stuff too - hell, did you know that our mobile telcoms are handled by Huawei equipment, a massive Chinese company's stuff???
BYD's currently flooding the European markets with their EVs, and we both know where that will lead to - and the EU carmakers know this too!
Hell, even Elon knows this, they're way bigger than his outfit - he'll go bank in only a few years!

But, bikes?
Nah, dilivery shit for a family of 6 plus their sow, all on it on their way to the market - not interested!
Then, about just over a year ago, the name KOVE was dropped - cleverly so, 3 unknown Chinese riders were to attempt the Dakar race on this new Chinese motorcycle ..... they were guaranteed of international news coverage!!
But hold on a sec, they all made it - huh?
Then next we all heard of this new Kove bike, worldwide youtubes galore - and very little negative news was outed, so it got my attention span a bit more than my goldfish is able to do.

Then came Dakar 24 - and hahaha, they failed!!!
Eh, actually they did not, only 2 bikes (a prototype plus one of the 'regular' bikes) did not make it, the rest did.
However, that prototype, manned by Klein, did VERY well, the bike and the dude is fast as hell.... and the 'others', being on regular Kove's which are not that fast, did not do bad at all!

That 'regular' bike I've bought now - for one simple reason... which is multifold of course 😋
- I liked this bike from the first time I saw it, it's different in some ways, which will allow me to 'adventure' in Southern Africa, and do this in a bit better way than I've done thus far
- I hunched - and yes, that's still a hunch only, I'll admit that - that this Kove is the real first proper Chinese bike coming our way.

I will test that too, hold your verbal horses: I plan to do with it...
- run it in first of course, around here, some on tar dog forbid
- 11 days Transkei/Lesotho/Drakensberg with John Wood in April
- a service at Offroad Cycles in Pretoria (I want to know about the tappets, and am sure Conrad would like to know that also!)
- 12 days Kaokoland with Hardy in May, van Zyls Pass and Marienfluss included, directly followed by
- 10 days Kaokoland with John Wood in June, Robbie's Pass included
I reckon that's close to 7000 kms in total if not more, and all rather remote if not wildish, and I'll be reporting on these trips here on WildDog.

If it does this all, without any major shite (bigend, valves or why) ..... will you then be at least a little more, eh, let's say approachable, to this new Chinese Kove 450 bike?
Have coffee, sleep on it, and only then answer... 😋
An exciting bike to be going on exciting adventure.

You have my full attention.

Many miles and happy smile on her.

Wow!
Excellent bike and awesome build!
Hope you have MANY happy miles and smiles on the beast!

Yes, to change the oil-filter you have to take off the silencer (2 bolts) and the midpipe (also 2 bolts) - really quick & easy.
To only change the oil the exhaust will stay where it is - and fwiw, the difference is 200ml of oil (1.8L with filter, 1.6L without).
Oh, also the bashplate (5 small bolts) needs to come off then but you knew that already.

Sidetrack's video posted above reminds me I forgot to mention a small detail - thank you squire!

If one changes the oil-filter (which I have not done yet) then one will also need to clean the dual oil screens in the engine.
There's one on either side - one right next to the actual filter, the other one sits on the other side of the engine.
These oil screens look quite like the one's KTM uses, a plastic thingy with fine mesh.... those who've changed their oil themselves know these things.

RHSscreen.jpeg

LHSscreen.jpeg

I will drop the oil again (and put a new filter in, plus clean the screens etc) at around 300km (and again at 1000km).

I will then also try to 'drain' the oilcooler itself, I expect/hope this to be possible by cracking loose the top banjo-bolt - which then should vent air and therefore loose its oil inside so it will be drained.
Yeah, this goes a bit far to do this every time I'll admit, but I just want to see if this works.
If it does though then I just might do this whenever I change the oil - because I have a habit of leaving it all leak out until the last drop, I do this overnight.

Last edited:
Happy happy on your new Kovay 450 R Bart (y) Following your partial tear down, re - assemble and experience with great interest ;)

Bart is jy nog seat loos of net besig by die werk

Ja, verskoon, ek is huidiglik geheel toegesneeu met werk, ons het n nuwe intake van personeel momenteel hierso.....

Het jy vergeet dat ek n bordeel bedryf, en sodoende niks werk het nie?
Foei man, dit word "retired" genoem, die naam natuurlik originating van 'amperaltydtired' asook die 'repeating nature' van alli werk.
Jy's dusdoende ONEtrackminded meneer, never mind Sidetracked! 😋

Maar ja, daar is nuus!
Moreoggend haal ek dit op, kyk en/of kwyl maar onder .....

image0.jpeg

Die agterkant se skerperige 'hoeke' is nou ronder gemaak, omrede dat dit nou nie maklik sal beskadig nie as jy die ding erens neersit of biki rof behandel (ass over tit gaan of soiets) 👌

image1.jpeg

Ek het vir 'swart' gevra omdat eerstens dit die standaard kleur is/was, maar ook omdat dit die maklikste kleur is om skoon te hou - en dalk ook makliker om te maak (y)
En, omdat KOVE se kleure Rooi & Blou/Groen (FNB style) is het ek maar gevra vir biki rooi stiksels.
Ek dink dis nogals mooi!

image2.jpeg

Dis heelwat dikker as die standaard sit plek, en ek WEET my gat gaan van dit hou, BAIE selfs!!!!
Jammer, ek het nie so n foto van die standaard seat nie, maar glo my dat hy aan die agterkant, se maar links van die hand, heelwat "paddier/dikker" is! 👌

image3.jpeg

❓

Ek haal altwee more op!

Vir die wat nog steeds Seat Concepts se sitplekke verkies (hulle is goed, rerig, maar kos ook n arm & n nier, en buitedien gaan jy laaaang wag op die goed...) sal ek dit weer se: Dion Korkie se werk is op dieselfde standaard - uitstekende werk, goeie materiale, comfort galore (of watookal jy bestel het, hy doen ook vrek artistieke werk op cruisers enso), en hy doen dit vir n prys wat jou sal kan laat asemhaal, dis reguit moerbillik!!!
Ook, die man is in Pretoria, nie Uuuuessssaaa nie, en praat ons taal.... I have, can & will recommend his work! 👌

Last edited:
Ek haal altwee more op

AlTWEE sitplekke ja..... enter @FredK 's bike!
Fred also wanted a KOVE, and his' is currently in Offroad Cycles workshop being prepared to his wishes.

He's ordered quite similar extra's like I did but also a GPS-mount, on the standard tower of course.
That's quite a lot of work, and Conrad's busy for the second day or so, and isn't ready yet - but also, the seat is missing........ sounds familiar innit? 😋
Well now, tomorrow "it'll be baacckk", pronounce that last bit with Arnie's voice!

To get a GPS-support onto the std tower requires some ingenuity, a 3D-printed plate it seems - and this looks neat indeed but also a bit fiddly to get 'right', and this may explain Conrad's facial expression..... :unsure:

Anyways, a few pics below....

image0.jpeg

Fred's bike, topless....

image5.jpeg

Fred's bikini and some other parts of his underwear....

image4.jpeg

The other topless tit...

image2.jpeg

... and a half-gutted tower....

image3.jpeg

... and a somewhat gutted shopowner.

image1.jpeg

The 3D-printed adaptor plate for the GPS - the backside of it, you won't see the SS bolts I think (y)

Ja, verskoon, ek is huidiglik geheel toegesneeu met werk, ons het n nuwe intake van personeel momenteel hierso.....

Het jy vergeet dat ek n bordeel bedryf, en sodoende niks werk het nie?
Foei man, dit word "retired" genoem, die naam natuurlik originating van 'amperaltydtired' asook die 'repeating nature' van alli werk.
Jy's dusdoende ONEtrackminded meneer, never mind Sidetracked! 😋

Maar ja, daar is nuus!
Moreoggend haal ek dit op, kyk en/of kwyl maar onder .....

View attachment 879268

Die agterkant se skerperige 'hoeke' is nou ronder gemaak, omrede dat dit nou nie maklik sal beskadig nie as jy die ding erens neersit of biki rof behandel (ass over tit gaan of soiets) 👌

View attachment 879271

Ek het vir 'swart' gevra omdat eerstens dit die standaard kleur is/was, maar ook omdat dit die maklikste kleur is om skoon te hou - en dalk ook makliker om te maak (y)
En, omdat KOVE se kleure Rooi & Blou/Groen (FNB style) is het ek maar gevra vir biki rooi stiksels.
Ek dink dis nogals mooi!

View attachment 879272

Dis heelwat dikker as die standaard sit plek, en ek WEET my gat gaan van dit hou, BAIE selfs!!!!
Jammer, ek het nie so n foto van die standaard seat nie, maar glo my dat hy aan die agterkant, se maar links van die hand, heelwat "paddier/dikker" is! 👌

View attachment 879275

❓

Ek haal altwee more op!

Vir die wat nog steeds Seat Concepts se sitplekke verkies (hulle is goed, rerig, maar kos ook n arm & n nier, en buitedien gaan jy laaaang wag op die goed...) sal ek dit weer se: Dion Korkie se werk is op dieselfde standaard - uitstekende werk, goeie materiale, comfort galore (of watookal jy bestel het, hy doen ook vrek artistieke werk op cruisers enso), en hy doen dit vir n prys wat jou sal kan laat asemhaal, dis reguit moerbillik!!!
Ook, die man is in Pretoria, nie Uuuuessssaaa nie, en praat ons taal.... I have, can & will recommend his work! 👌
Deon maak magic!!!
En SO lekker oke 👍👌