My Kove 450 Rally February 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who went to Offroad Cycles to see the KOVE 450 Rally in the flesh, then drool over it, and next had a testride on it to see/feel what's what.....

..... Bad News for you, sorry, you cannot anymore!!!!

At least not on that same bike as it has transformed into something that looks completely different! 😋

'Course, same bike still, but they got the first set of stickers they designed, and had them stuck on - see below:

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

(This pic taken to show how much the 'comfort' seat of Dion has increased the thickness of the seat at the rear - page back a bit and compare!)

Looks nice eh?
I think so, and I want such a stickerset instead of the original set it comes with. (y)
Some small niggles need to be sorted out though as this is the genuine first set made for this bike in SA, and some small details need some improvements still.

But watch this space, mine will have these clothes on soon! 👌

Last edited:
Before I took my bike home today I wanted to try (note, try) to put a 1-tooth larger rear sprocket on, a 52 instead of the 51 mounted (instead of the std is 49).
I had ordered a 52 Supersprox (a 52 Twinstar isn't available :() and it arrived, so I tried to mount it..... but No can do!!!
Sure, of course it can be mounted - but then I'd need to break the chain (it is endless, swaged, so does not have a cliplink) and discard it.... and that goes a bit far - to do now!

The oem chain is an AFAM unit, an O or X ring type (can't see this), and it looks fine if not proper... so I'll (up-)use this one first!

I'll wait with mounting this marginally-bigger sprocket until I will put a new chain on (and duh, a front sprocket yeah).
Reason for my thinking is: a 51 (instead of the oem 49) is a 4% shortening, a 52 is 6%, and a 53 would be some 8% .... and these percentages translate to the same firgure-increase in torque as well as reduction in speed - and as said earlier I am after an easy poerpoering bike over rocks without having to use the clutch.

I'll get to that later, IF it needs to be addressed then still...... (y)
And if not.... these sprockets are the same which fit KTM/Husky bikes, so I will be able to use it somewhere!

image4.jpeg

Note that I took the chainguide off - and apart as it turns our to be a 3piece unit!
Looks fine to me, fits like a glove, and also the plastic parts (wich ARE a consumable after all) looks thick & sturdy to me (y)
Fred did decide he wanted an all-plastic unit (from Acerbis), and he's got that on now (no pic).

Before I took my bike home today I wanted to try (note, try) to put a 1-tooth larger rear sprocket on, a 52 instead of the 51 mounted (instead of the std is 49).
I had ordered a 52 Supersprox (a 52 Twinstar isn't available :() and it arrived, so I tried to mount it..... but No can do!!!
Sure, of course it can be mounted - but then I'd need to break the chain (it is endless, swaged, so does not have a cliplink) and discard it.... and that goes a bit far - to do now!

The oem chain is an AFAM unit, an O or X ring type (can't see this), and it looks fine if not proper... so I'll (up-)use this one first!

I'll wait with mounting this marginally-bigger sprocket until I will put a new chain on (and duh, a front sprocket yeah).
Reason for my thinking is: a 51 (instead of the oem 49) is a 4% shortening, a 52 is 6%, and a 53 would be some 8% .... and these percentages translate to the same firgure-increase in torque as well as reduction in speed - and as said earlier I am after an easy poerpoering bike over rocks without having to use the clutch.

I'll get to that later, IF it needs to be addressed then still...... (y)
And if not.... these sprockets are the same which fit KTM/Husky bikes, so I will be able to use it somewhere!

View attachment 879538

Note that I took the chainguide off - and apart as it turns our to be a 3piece unit!
Looks fine to me, fits like a glove, and also the plastic parts (wich ARE a consumable after all) looks thick & sturdy to me (y)
Fred did decide he wanted an all-plastic unit (from Acerbis), and he's got that on now (no pic).
Something I do not understand why you have to split the chain to take off rearwheel to mount a sprocket

Something I do not understand why you have to split the chain to take off rearwheel to mount a sprocket

Lol, you serious?
You never do of course, but in this case (std=49 remember) it already has a +2 bigger one on, and I wanted to up 1 ..... and then you run out of chain-length!
I may have (or not) been able to wangle it on still - by breaking the chain - but this option's not there, that's why I mentioned it....

Adjusting the chain's tension is as per normal, and the KOVE has markers for doing this.
These markers sit on the swingarm there where the block's slide, and when this is all muddy/filthy one cannot see these too easily I reckon .... so I made a quick reference with a centre-punch on either side.
Hey, it's my bike, I can do that ;)

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

All's fine, tomorrow I'll ride!!!!!!

Een tand minder voor en 'n 48 behoort baie na aan dieselfde effek te gee. Baaie mooi fiets Bart, geniet hom!

A couple of nice features which I forgot to mention, but it's here now on my stoep so, walking around it (just mounted the numberplate) I will write these down:

- This bike has an ignition key but I've already mentioned this. Downright welcome & handy, a quick dash into a shop somewhere will not leave me trying to listen if some twat starts & steals my bike (y)

- I only now (... yeah, sigh, I am thick after all ....) discover it even has a steering lock!!!!!
Hell, never even thought they would go so nice - and, with VERY little play too, this thing feels rather solid! (NO, fuggoff, I WILL NOT TEST THIS lol 😋 )
Look below...

image0.jpeg

- Upon turning the ignition key the fancy dash takes a few seconds to boot yeah.
They all do, and you normally (my 7/890's) have to wait for this... but not with this KOVE: hit the starter and it springs to life immediately! That's a dogsend, no more waiting for some paint to dry... (y)

- Thus far I have completely forgotten to mention the mirrors - sorry!
Yes, it comes with two of them nogals, and yeah, they are fine too, very much usable, really they are! (y)
But, offroad in the bush I want to be able to fold these things inward, out of harms way, and that they will not do...
So I mounted the best mirrors I know for this purpose, the 'fold-away/in' variety - see pics, they're awesome 👌

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image1.jpeg

- someone asked if cleaning the oilcooler was possible, or if it would foul up or whatever.
I answered that by yeah, of course some dirt will go through the carbon skidplate's slots - of course yes, so whatever is behind it will get filthy too!
Now I also mentioned that you can take the entire bellypan off, only 5 bolts ..... but I see now that, for lazy gits, you can open a 'hole' by removing a cover - only 2 bolts now! ;) - and behind it you will find your oilcooler (y)
Look, it's probably best to remove the whole darn thing to give all & sundry a proper wash, but if you're in a hurry then yeah, you could go the lazy way..... see pics below.

image5.jpeg

image4.jpeg

- the bike does come without handguards.... which reminded me of my 300TPI, I had to buy the wraparound bits separate... :(
Anyways, best is to put these on if you're going to go offroad with the bike.... and most if not all will do this I reckon?
I will, so choose this time for Polisport one's, not my usual Cycra's.... because they look bedonnerd, and sure, they also have an aluminium bar wrapped around yer paws 👌

image2.jpeg

Last edited:
. but I see now that, for lazy gits, you can open a 'hole' by removing a cover - only 2 bolts now! ;) - and behind it you will find your oilcooler

Blerrie nice van hulle om die quick cleaning opening opsie te gee. 👏 💪

For those of you who went to Offroad Cycles to see the KOVE 450 Rally in the flesh, then drool over it, and next had a testride on it to see/feel what's what.....

..... Bad News for you, sorry, you cannot anymore!!!!

At least not on that same bike as it has transformed into something that looks completely different! 😋

'Course, same bike still, but they got the first set of stickers they designed, and had them stuck on - see below:

View attachment 879534

View attachment 879535

View attachment 879536

View attachment 879537

(This pic taken to show how much the 'comfort' seat of Dion has increased the thickness of the seat at the rear - page back a bit and compare!)

Looks nice eh?
I think so, and I want such a stickerset instead of the original set it comes with. (y)
Some small niggles need to be sorted out though as this is the genuine first set made for this bike in SA, and some small details need some improvements still.

But watch this space, mine will have these clothes on soon! 👌
Is daai nou n Rally of n Rally + ?

Put water in that rear tank, going to be a hot sunny day !

Actually Jacques, sure, I know you're joking now - but one can do this: put water in, and thus have something which can keep you alive if in the Sahara/Sahel/Namib or wherever you'll find yourself remote! 👌

There's one (1!) caveat though.... NEVER EVER put petrol in this tank, worse probably, you'll have to flush it first to make sure you won't drink assembly dust or contaminants - and I have already some fuel in mine 😋

Another small detail is this - the fuel-line from the RHS tank going to the LHS one is heatshielded!

Heatshielded fuelline.jpg

Sure, it sits a little behind the scorching hot headerpipe, so that's rather welcome if not downright necessary .... and it's there!

So, go easy with your high-pressure WAP (I never ever use these awful things!!!!) to clean your bike, as you'll not want to damage this (or other stuff, wheelbearings or chain or why) - but I only user elbow grease, some detergent and a hosepipe, simply because this is safe and one's hardly ever sorry ;)

Sal maar gras sny, amper so lekker soos bike ry

Conrad amper kak my uit dat ek nie jou kant opgaan more nie..... maar my verskoning is dat ek daai area nie so goed ken nie!
As jy nou saamgekom sou het........ kry n bike asseblief? ;) (y)

This is all good and well, but go ride the damn thing now and tell us all..

Conrad amper kak my uit dat ek nie jou kant opgaan more nie..... maar my verskoning is dat ek daai area nie so goed ken nie!
As jy nou saamgekom sou het........ kry n bike asseblief? ;) (y)
Ek sou die berge in vaar by Carolina, groen kronkelende berg passe. Af na Chrissiesmeer en n bier drink in die Billiard Room, dis die lewe :love: