NAMIBIA (AS NEVER SEEN BEFORE) - ON THE ROAD AGAIN (MAPS NOW ATTACHED)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DAY 21 – WARMBAD TO UPINGTON

Our route was from Warmbad to Onseepkans, the border post, then to Augrabies, Kakamas, Keimoes and then Upington.

Yesterday was a cold day, today were even colder.  We got up early and were ready to leave at first light.

We didn’t get far, one flat front tyre.  Out came the compressor.  I got the tyre pumped up and search for the puncture but could find nothing.  I ride with a softer tyre pressure on gravel, the air pressure in the tyres is then less on a cold morning.  I presumed it to be the problem.  I checked with regular intervals, but the tyre pressure kept stable.

100_7945.jpg

100_7948.jpg

We had 40km on the D211 to negotiate until we reached the C10 to Onseepkans.  This little piece of road was very sandy and we were riding due east, into the sun.  To top it up, it was freezing cold.

100_7973.jpg

100_7976.jpg

100_8024.jpg

On the C10 towards the border post

100_8072.jpg

Down the C10 towards the Orange River

100_8169.jpg

100_8195.jpg

The bridge over the Orange River.  The Namibian side is called Velloorrsdrift, the SA side is called Onseepkans.

100_8204.jpg

100_8221.jpg

Not a happy chappy to leave Namibia

100_8228.jpg

Some humour at the SA border post

100_8239.jpg

This was almost a flat chicken

100_8245.jpg

The 60km stretch to Pofadder, the worst rode on our trip.  We had the worst ‘sinkplates’ you could imagine, typical SA roads.

100_8277.jpg

100_8294.jpg

We refuelled at Pofadder, had a coffee and milo, I lie, they did not have milo in stock, nor did the cafe across the street, so it was coke and toasted sami’s and chips.

On the route to Kakamas

100_8431.jpg

Check this madam at Augrabies

100_8467.jpg

Augrabies.  We were a bit disappointed, we were privileged to see it about 2 months ago with the floods.

100_8480.jpg

100_8494.jpg

Coke left, brandy right

100_8577.jpg

We booked in at the Eiland, Upington and had Kentucky and an early night.  The tar roads were getting to us but we had no choice, we were pressed for time.

Vis Arend why did you go to Pofadder?
You should have turned left on the first road just after the customs office.
This takes you to the Kakamas-Pofaddertarroad but much better road.

chrisL said:
Thanks for telling me now.  Grappie.  Ek het die blerrie pad gesien, maar het gedog dat dit net so sinkplate sal hê soos die ander een en het nie kans gesien vir die gemors nie.  Sal dit beslis in die toekoms onthou. 
Wat sê jou pel in Outjowarongo - reen dit nog so baie.  Ek dink hulle panic seker al erg.

Vis Arend said:
chrisL said:
Thanks for telling me now.  Grappie.  Ek het die blerrie pad gesien, maar het gedog dat dit net so sinkplate sal hê soos die ander een en het nie kans gesien vir die gemors nie.  Sal dit beslis in die toekoms onthou. 
Wat sê jou pel in Outjowarongo - reen dit nog so baie.  Ek dink hulle panic seker al erg.
Nee wat panic nie maar hy sê sy skape raak erg maer omdat die gras so lank is kan hulle nie lekker wei.
Die beeste het natuurlik nie die probleem.
Ek weet in die Kalahari sukkel die skaap ook maar agv die gras se lengte.

chrisL said:
Nee wat panic nie maar hy sê sy skape raak erg maer omdat die gras so lank is kan hulle nie lekker wei.
Die beeste het natuurlik nie die probleem.
Ek weet in die Kalahari sukkel die skaap ook maar agv die gras se lengte.

Ja, die manne like mos nie van te lang gras & water nie.  Die skaap verkies mos die groen opsla en hulle is mos gewoond aan min.  Die lang gras is net 'n gevaar vir brand.  Dan staan die gras so hoog dat die boere nie hul skaap kan sien om te werk nie.

I'm heart sore!!  The story is coming to an end . . . .  :(  :(  :(  :( 

I'll have a garage sale to collect money so that Visarend and "Seemeeu" can go on another holiday.

Sucks - I'm gonna miss my daily story!!

DAY 22 -  UPINGTON TO DE AAR

Today was all tar.  We got up early but it was very cold.  We were geared for summer weather and had our air flow jackets and warm gloves.  Were made plan and dressed up with our rain suits under our pants and jackets.  We had a Wimpy breakfast before we left.

100_8640.jpg

Then I bought ski gloves at Tappers.

100_8642.jpg

I just love the twisty road out of Upington, they keep the tyres round.

100_8653.jpg

Storm chasers again

100_8695.jpg

On route to Groblershoop

100_8720.jpg

100_8721.jpg

Birds nest

100_8735.jpg

100_8788.jpg

Her 10th birthday

Road in a distance

100_8923.jpg

Pie, milk and rennies bought at Britstown
100_8970.jpg

Our self catering accommodation in de Aar

100_8971.jpg

There were other bikers also, but we never saw the owners.

100_8972.jpg

100_8973.jpg

DAY 23 – DE AAR TO KING WILLIAM’S TOWN

Leaving early morning once again, today was the coldest day of all.

100_9027.jpg

And the water made it feel colder

100_9066.jpg

80km further, warming my hands, the ski gloves were not helping.

Another 80km further, warming the hands again, geez, it was cold.

This farm stall close to Cradock sells lekka lamb chops.

100_9318.jpg

Bruch in Cradock

100_9345.jpg

Daggaboer farm stall is always worth a stop

100_9392.jpg

Back in the Eastern Cape, check the roads.

100_9430.jpg

Home sweet home, greeting the doggies

100_9530.jpg

Final kilometres

100_9534.jpg

The route

100_9535.jpg

Time to wash, massage and manicure the lady

100_9536.jpg

Blou bliksem

100_9544.jpg

And our good luck charm

100_9547.jpg

What a trip. I always dreamt of doing something like this, eventually a dream came true.  We were really blessed on this trip, we had no serious incidents, not one puncture and only one slight off with no damage or serious injuries.   Yes, there were days that we were exhausted, where the bodies wanted to seize up, days that you thought you would not see the end, this, however, is quickly forgotten if you look back at the total picture. All in all, we could not have asked for a better trip.  I greatly thank my wife for letting me realise my dream and that I could share the experience with her.  (And the wife is thanking him for taking her on such a wonderful holiday and keeping on introducing her to breathtaking experiences.  I salute his ability to keep the bike up with me moving in all directions to take my snap shots all the time.  Dankie, Sam.  We are also thanking our Father for protecting us all the way – had no need to contact Travel Insurance or Outsurance!!! )  She always wants the last say.

Will we do it again?  My wife says she needs 30 minutes to pack.

Total distance covered on this trip - 8036km
Fuel used - 569.63l
Amount paid for fuel - R5 528-76
Average fuel used - 14.11km/l
Experience - PRICELESS

Photos taken - 13 437
Only a few of these photos were posted.  There are thousands more that we could post to try and tell the story, but not one of them can reflect the feeling in your heart, your body and your soul.  The feeling of getting on top of a hill or around a corner and you see the other side of eternity, this cannot be shown.  The love for the place and nature cannot be explained.   No photo can or will ever do justice to what you really see and feel.  We tried to give you a tiny bit of what we saw and experienced, but get on your wheels and go and get this experience and memories yourself.   That is the only way.  (There are countless more places to visit than what we showed you.)

Lastly we want to thank all who visited this thread and gave such great and inspiring remarks with regards to our wonderful trip.   Thanks once again.

Cheers for now, we will be ON THE ROAD AGAIN.

Louis, Nannie en die Blou Bliksem

well done on sharing your awesome ride with us in this top ride report!!! well done! excellent!!!!! till we meet again!!! rod!

WE SALUTE YOU BOTH - A JOB WELL DONE

:blob6: :blob3: :blob5: :blob7: :blob8: :blob9: :blob8: :blob6: :blob3: :bootyshake: :book1: :bs: :blob9:​

If you don't feel riding after this report - then there's something wrong with you.  Thanks again for sharing all you experiences with us.  

Shees, what can I say.
Firstly, what a great ride and experience, keeping that bike with a pillion upright through all of that sand was great. Then, thanks for taking the time to put together such a great report.
I've got a short stint through the southern part of Namibia coming up in October, and this report has seriously got me itching to get going.
Thanks a lot, it was great reading.
:thumleft:

Vis Arend said:
DAY 10 – SPITSKOPPE TO ABA HUAB

I was getting very tired and we still had a distance to travel.  I made a pit stop and poured us some dutch courage.  One whisky and Vodka please Mr. Barman.

100_3120.jpg

is that green thing a seat cushion or a fuel bladder?

JMOL said:
:blob6: :blob3: :blob5: :blob7: :blob8: :blob9: :blob8: :blob6: :blob3: :book1: :bs: :blob9:

If you don't feel riding after this report - then there's something wrong with you.  Thanks again for sharing all you experiences with us.  

+10000000  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Thanks once again for a truly wonderful & adictive RR. I salute you guys!! ;)

spoedvark said:
well done on sharing your awesome ride with us in this top ride report!!! well done! excellent!!!!! till we meet again!!! rod!
Thanks Rod  :thumleft:

darkhelmet said:

A 7l fuel bladder.  We had to use it 3 times on this trip, bought it at bikegear, the best I ever used.  When empty you fold it up and pack it away.  Takes the minimum space even with fuel in.  It has a nice spout at the front, no spillage.

Bring It On said:
+10000000  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Thanks once again for a truly wonderful & adictive RR. I salute you guys!! ;)
Thanks Bring It On  :thumleft:

What an Awesome RR! We were ment to go to Namibia in Easter too but the plans had to change and we did the Eastern Cape in stead. But I've just got to go there!!!!!!!!

Absolutely awesome Louis and Nan. I have been reading this every morning for a while now and it really has inspired me to do a Namibia Trip. I always considered it a bit far from EL but I WILL make the time now. Thanks guys.

Vis Arend said:
darkhelmet said:

A 7l fuel bladder.  We had to use it 3 times on this trip, bought it at bikegear, the best I ever used.  When empty you fold it up and pack it away.  Takes the minimum space even with fuel in.  It has a nice spout at the front, no spillage.

I was too quick asking, read it later on. Thank you for answering with extra information though

But it seems a bit like a 7 liter unmanagable blob. The mounting holes are quite small...
How did you manage to fasten it securily, tieraps?

Ek was nie daar nie, maar jy het my laat voel of ek was, en daarvoor se ek BAIE DANKIE  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: