Old Mill drift 4x4 route ( test your will to live )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if anyone's going to go back soonish,  let me know.
it's an awesome trail,  and a proper test of yourself. 
there's also the illegal border crossing...

Renier said:
KnopKop said:
Respect!!!!!!

Ganjora did that ride solo last year sometime and this year after the Freestate bash, Ganjora and Grootseun did it again. It is on my "to do URGENTLY" list!!!!

It is the first time I see it being done on a "big" bike. Ganjora did it once on the KLR650 and once on the DR650, Grootseun did it on a Dakar!

AWESOME Ride guys!!

ons moet gaan met die xchallenges...dan ka myne ook bene rek.

ekt gat saam, ek dink nie julle 2 weet hoe om julle BMX'e te ry nie  :p

KnopKop said:
It is on my "to do URGENTLY" list!!!!

Renier said:

Tr0jan said:
ekt gat saam, ek dink nie julle 2 weet hoe om julle BMX'e te ry nie  :p

dude's,  i'm dead keen to do it again.
there's a backpackers in Clarens (R80 for the night),  and it's a shortish ride there and back.
perfect for a weekend breakaway!

Ganjora said:
KnopKop said:
It is on my "to do URGENTLY" list!!!!

Renier said:

Tr0jan said:
ekt gat saam, ek dink nie julle 2 weet hoe om julle BMX'e te ry nie  :p

dude's,  i'm dead keen to do it again.
there's a backpackers in Clarens (R80 for the night),  and it's a shortish ride there and back.
perfect for a weekend breakaway!

sounds like we can plan a ride here :)

so someone start a planning thread or whatever.
more than 5 or 6 people will make it too cramped...
July sometime???

Ganjora said:
so someone start a planning thread or whatever.
more than 5 or 6 people will make it too cramped...
July sometime???

OK, I'll sit this one out then?
Hehe!

Nice one Losper!!

Daai Eish Piee Twoe lyk darem duidelik  :thumleft:

Some bad roads you've got over there. Respect for hauling a big brute up there. :thumleft:

We did the route, or part of it the weekend, missed the turn off and carried on untill we could'nt get any further, when the route changed from a 4x4 to a goat track I should have realised where lost...still a awsome ride,  ever tried going down that slopes with the rocks on a 200kg bike?

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=75389.msg1538266#msg1538266

Losper julle het teen 'n helling geklim!  moes julle daardie selfde helling weer afkom mee? 

jip....op was easy...piont and squirt....weer al die pad terug....eesh...en dit was Sean se eerste off road trip op n 990...hy het die 525 beslis gemis....wonder of iemand anders al die roete in reverse gedoen het.

Nice guys! Bit of history the road was constructed mostly in the early eighties by the SAP for coin operations along the Caledon Border. Christo Roos whose farm the road passes through all ways allowed us to ride the road until some idiot shot the lock off the gate (same one in the photos) then we had to do a bit of begging. The road was well maintained at that stage and we used to ride over the mountain on our XT 500’s don’t think that would be appropriate ride these days.

cassiebotha said:
Losper julle het teen 'n helling geklim!  moes julle daardie selfde helling weer afkom mee? 

Ons is aan die suide kant op en aan die noorde kant af, dit is die makliker opsie, anderste om gaan moord wees.

Now, that looks like a proper ADV route. Lekker.

chicco said:
wonder of iemand anders al die roete in reverse gedoen het.

done it both ways.
i found going from the caledon river side to clares the more difficult option.
the other way you have a short technical section up to the gate,  and downhill the rest of the way.

Ganjora said:
chicco said:
wonder of iemand anders al die roete in reverse gedoen het.

done it both ways.
i found going from the caledon river side to clares the more difficult option.
the other way you have a short technical section up to the gate,  and downhill the rest of the way.

I agree, down is a walk in the park ---- so  jumping the border into Lesotho is a must and adds to the ride --- if the river is low and not over flowing  ::)

Pity its so short --

Taking some ladies up there soon on a trip --up --not down --

Latest posts