Quickie - 22hrs/400km George-Odn-Hell-De Rust-George...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Buks

Myself and 2 mates did a quick trip to The Hell and Back from Friday afternoon till Saturday after lunch. Yes, to ride to The Hell is not strange anymore, but I still always enjoy this ride after 12 yrs of doing it regularly, making use of various forms of transport, the only time I didn't enjoy it, was when I went there and back with a damn mountain bike  :eek7:!!!
We left George at 16:00 on Friday, with myself and "Baked beans" on his DR taking gravel, "Coffee bean" on his DR took tar and met us in Oudtshoorn. From there onto Wilgewandel for a cold one. We were so hot that we requested the gardener to spray us with the hose pipe - that was refreshing!!! 8)
As it was late by that time, we "rode it like we stole it", across the Swartberg and into the Hell. The 250 really hold it's own against the 650's on the Pass and into The Hell - that was proven by the amount of sweat and thirst of everybody, when we stopped for the first time at the viewpoint overlooking this famous little valley. We arrived comfortable before dark, and bought 3 bundels of fire wood at "Tannie Annetjie's Kiosk". 2 Went on the back of the 250  ;), and one on "coffee beans" DR.
Then the usual but o so important campfire - braai - drink - k@kpraat follow till late - the only difference now that it started raining very lightly - which was a real blessing!! The DR guys even admitted after a few beers that their bike's suspension also bottomed a few times during the "in-race"..... :imaposer:
After a good night's rest in the caravans, we had some excellent coffee at Tannie Annetjie, and then left this beautifull valley (will be back!!!). The pace was a little calmer this time, and we even stopped a few times for pics.
On the old Swartberg we got wet and had a quite slippery ride down. Wilgewandel again for some "boere-kos" and Port this time - yes, we were that cold after the Pass!
Then "coffe bean" took the tar back, while myself and "baked beans" took the Oude Muragie gravel to De Rust where we re-fueled, bikes and ourselves, and witnessed the "Town-welcoming" of the new APK dominee.
Then we took a different gravel route from Dysselsdorp South East, where we later met the Kammanassie road again, from there the usual gravel back to Paarde Poort, Montagu Pass (wet and slippery!!!) to George.

Attachments

• SwartbergPassStart.JPG
    SwartbergPassStart.JPG
    298.8 KB
  • HellvsNumberPlate.JPG
    HellvsNumberPlate.JPG
    291.2 KB
  • HellView.JPG
    HellView.JPG
    254.5 KB
  • Campsite.JPG
    Campsite.JPG
    268.2 KB
  • Fire.JPG
    Fire.JPG
    155 KB
They look like lekker little bikes those. I think that thousands will be sold.

More  :pot:

Attachments

• P1050396.JPG
    P1050396.JPG
    282.6 KB
  • WayOut.JPG
    WayOut.JPG
    292.9 KB
  • Drif.JPG
    Drif.JPG
    253.5 KB
  • Signboard.JPG
    Signboard.JPG
    297.9 KB
  • SPass.JPG
    SPass.JPG
    230.6 KB
Rough Rider said:
They look like lekker little bikes those. I think that thousands will be sold.
I enjoy mine tremendously!!! Even riding it bezurk like on this trip (on the open sections I kept 120km/h), it still gave 25km/l !

Now the last of the pics.....
OK, I destroyed me numberplate.... ::)

Attachments

• Wilgewandel.JPG
    Wilgewandel.JPG
    230.7 KB
  • OudeMuragie.JPG
    OudeMuragie.JPG
    287.8 KB
  • DeRustFanfare.JPG
    DeRustFanfare.JPG
    265 KB
  • DysseldorpGrootriver.JPG
    DysseldorpGrootriver.JPG
    244.6 KB
  • MontaguPass.JPG
    MontaguPass.JPG
    268.7 KB
Nice .... looks lekka .... where abouts are those caravans in the Kloof ....? GPS Co-ords?  :-\

:thumleft:

Beagle Boy said:
Nice .... looks lekka .... where abouts are those caravans in the Kloof ....? GPS Co-ords?  :-\

:thumleft:

Sorry, I haven't got the Co-ords, but they are on Annetjie Joubert's property, approx 1km after her Kiosk on the left. You enter at the sign: 'Piet se Staning' on a white piece of wooden fence - so approx 42km from the Swartberg turn-off.