Riemland meander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jors Troelie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My grey matter was starting to malfunction, and I was in urgent need of some time out. Since I have some kind of love affair with the Eastern Freestate, it was kind of obvious that I was going to head in that direction.

It was quite a cold morning, and the coffee that the tannie at Frankfort offered me was just the thing to warm me up. I then hit the road to Tweeling, to take a look at the old flour mill. It was obvious that the recent rain was widespread, and although the grazing is still trying to recover, the veld looked beautiful after the harsh drought.

After Kestell I entered Golden Gate from the back, and the scenery was absolutely amazing.

I continued on the little dirtroad through the reserve to the Metropolis of Monontsha, which is really just an extension of Phuthaditjhaba. It’s a nice winding road, requiring very slight technical riding skills, especially towards the township where the road is badly eroded.

My aim was to ride to the border post on top of Monontsha pass. Since I did not have my passport on me, I would not be able to enter. The pass is now paved, and although it’s not a challenge to ride anymore, the scenery is still fantastic.

On the ride back into Golden Gate clouds started gathering and there was no doubt that it would rain soon.

The next morning I decided to ride via Fouriesburg to Rosendal, Paul Roux and then back home via Lindley. The morning was clear after the previous day’s rain. I made quick detour for the obligatory photo at the Ash river outfall which is a always worth a stop. The road between Clarens and Fouriesburg must be one of the most scenic roads in the country.

Some distance after Fouriesburg I gooi’ed a right onto the dirtroad past Moolmanshoek towards Rosendal. What a fantastic road it was.

It was good to see the Freestate in good shape again!

While taking a break under a pavement tree in Edenville, an old guy standing in front of his house down the road waved me towards him. After greeting he asked me to come inside the house to look at something. It was a bit odd, but he seemed harmless and I followed him into the house and into one of the rooms. He said he just wanted to brag about his antique collection.

Arrived home safely, dog tired but fresh in the head!