ROOIBERG SUNDAY JOL !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat b

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
I was in serious need of a ride ,my "cracked rib" situation was down from HOLY SHIT UNCOMFORTABLE PAIN !! to a minor irritation ! The first weekend that I was feeling well enough to do something physical again and to my long suffering wife's total disgust I desserted her and the dogs in favour of the allure of the gravel road less traveled !

My friend Brad was also in the final stages of withdrawel and if he didn't hit the gravel soon , he to would slide into the dark depths of depression !

A plan was soon hatched to meet at the Engen petrol station on the N2 just outside Mossel Bay . From there the short and exciting tar road to Herbertsdale wich in itself is always nice to ride as there is always something to see and the road has lots of nice twisties. Then the gravel would begin , over the Cloetes Pass to Van wyksdorp, then over the picturesque Rooiberg Pass and on to Calitsdorp .We would have lunch there and then head home our seperate ways Brad to Sedgfield via the Outeniqua pass , and me to Mossel Bay via Volmoed and the Robinson Pass.

Our first taste of gravel just outside of Herbertsdale,we stopped to admire the stunning scenery,have a smoke ,and deflate our tyres,then the real riding could start !
DSC04840.jpg

DSC01343.jpg

DSC04841.jpg

The scenery is awsome with ever changing vistas around every corner.
DSC04842.jpg

DSC04842.jpg

DSC04844.jpg

DSC04845.jpg

I love water crossings ,even small ones !
DSC04846.jpg

DSC01346.jpg

We climbed steadily to the platau end then made our way town to the bridge that crosses the Gourits River.
DSC04847.jpg

DSC04848.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC04849.jpg

DSC04850.jpg

View from the top of the valley of the bridge that crosses the Gourits River .
DSC01351.jpg

On the bridge.
DSC04851.jpg

DSC04852.jpg

I love taking photos on this bridge.
DSC04854.jpg

DSC04856.jpg

Two great buddies , two great bikes ! That 750 Super Tenere' is schweet!
DSC04857.jpg

After the bridge there is a steep cement road that leads out of the river valley to the other side.
DSC01360.jpg

DSC04859.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

I told Brad to go ahead as he is the faster rider "a 80 year old on a bycycle is probably faster than me !" And to wait for me at the Van Wyksdorp Turnoff.Needless to say he just caried on past it and I gave chase ! I had to however stop to take a pic of this place.
DSC01377.jpg

when I did catch up I didnt quite know where we were , so I consulted my trusty GPS and this was the answer I got ! Talk about stating the obvious !
DSC04863.jpg

We backtracked to the van Wyksdorp turnoff .
DSC01369.jpg

While enjoying a "light zamalec cooler" we heard the familiar sound of BMW boxer motors ! Man I love that sound ! When we went outside to say hello I was amazed that my old AT can still pull a crowd of admirers ! My favorite "new" BMW was also there the HP2.
DSC04865.jpg

We said our goodbyes and were off .
DSC04862.jpg

DSC04864.jpg

The beggining of the Rooiberg Pass , riding this pass is always alot of fun ! Sometimes the road is lovely and the next time you come the road might be really kak ! I think it is pretty sensitive to rain .
DSC04866.jpg

DSC04867.jpg

DSC04868.jpg

DSC04869.jpg

DSC04870.jpg

DSC04871.jpg

DSC04872.jpg

DSC04873.jpg

This guy on a xt660 passed me so fast it made my head spin!! This guy was gooing mielies ! And he may !
DSC01381.jpg

I stopped to take photos and the beemer pack passed me .
DSC04874.jpg

DSC04875.jpg

I caught up when everybody stopped for another "refreshment" break .I stopped in front on purpose !LOL !
Leader of the pack !!LOL !!
DSC04876.jpg

My two favorite bikes in the same frame ...pure visual poetry :mwink:
DSC04880-1.jpg

DSC04881-1.jpg

More great views.
DSC04877.jpg

DSC04878.jpg

DSC04879-1.jpg

On our arrival in Calitsdorp we headed straight to "DIe Dorpshuis" Good food good Beer ! And man did it flow !
DSC04882-1.jpg

Good fun ,great guys!
DSC04883-1.jpg

After forcing ourselves to leave we hit the road again in high spirits ! We said our goodbyes on the highway and I took the volmoed turnoff. This little road that eventually leads to the Robinson pass really is a little gem and the hamlet of Volmoed has a old world charm about it that I find very appealing!
DSC04885-1.jpg

DSC04886-1.jpg

Smoke break at the intersection that leads to the Robinson Pass .
DSC04887-1.jpg

One of my favorite passes and often overlooked is the Robinson Pass , most people ride through it enjoy it , but never take photos . I was in a good mood so I decided to take a few pics of the old lady "pass"
DSC04888-1.jpg

DSC04889-1.jpg

DSC04890-1.jpg

The one time I stop to take a photo of the water fall and for the first time in the 20 years that I have been stopping there no f!@#$%g water!
DSC04891-1.jpg

More vistas
DSC04892-1.jpg

DSC04893-1.jpg

All in all a great day ,and home safely! Man this is the way to spend a sunday !
DSC04895-1.jpg

Mooi man! Nou doen jy die RR oor en haal al die fotos uit met daai "stunning" Super Tenere op uit! Ek wil hom nie weer sien nie!
Wanneer ry ons n trippie?

Any trip with an Africa Twin in it is a good trip. Add a Super Tenere and it's an EXCELLENT trip. Thanks for sharing and for the great pics.

Oh , I've gotten quicker my son !! I even see 2nd gear sometimes :imaposer:

Hey! Dis mos Kaboef daai!

DSC04883-1.jpg

Nice looking Ten :thumleft:

IRISH said:
Any trip with an Africa Twin in it is a good trip. Add a Super Tenere and it's an EXCELLENT trip. Thanks for sharing and for the great pics.
Thanx Irish , the pleasure is all mine ! :thumleft:

Nice fatb! How did the screen do?

Lyks soos Kaboef, daars juis 'n X ook tussen die fietse

Trailrider said:
Hey! Dis mos Kaboef daai!

DSC04883-1.jpg

Nice looking Ten :thumleft:
Ja , dis hy , toe hy my AT gesien het , se hy sommer in so 'n regte sad stem , dis die grootste fout wat hy gemaak het om so 'n fiets te verkoop ! :drif:

Snafu said:

Daai screen is die hond se snor ! Hy werk uitstekend ! Dankse jou ! Het jy al joune ge-fit??

chrisL said:
Mooi man! Nou doen jy die RR oor en haal al die fotos uit met daai "stunning" Super Tenere op uit! Ek wil hom nie weer sien nie!
Dankie Chris , ek sal graag een dag 'n trippie saam met jou wil ry ! :thumleft:

fat b said:
chrisL said:

Hier is 'n moerse klomp DS bikes in die Suid Kaap. ChrisL wat se daai mense van die karafaan park toe?

fat b said:
Snafu said:

Daai screen is die hond se snor ! Hy werk uitstekend ! Dankse jou ! Het jy al joune ge-fit??

Myne is gefit, maar nog nie rerig lang pas gevat nie. terloops, ek het ook agtergekom van die lig :)

Trailrider said:
fat b said:
chrisL said:

Hier is 'n moerse klomp DS bikes in die Suid Kaap. ChrisL wat se daai mense van die karafaan park toe?

TR, pitty hulle het so baie rook breuke !! :)

Snafu said:
TR, pitty hulle het so baie rook breuke !! :)

Haha! Ek ry lekker saam met die rokers want ek stop baie vir fotos ;) Die nie rokers donner net aan ;D

:laughing4:  Nou moet jy weet hoe baie stop ek !!! Een smoke break twee foto breaks en so aan !!!