Rotax 650 engine life. n' kaniedoodnie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tok-tokkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
The F650 site- The Chain Gang- issues a quarterly bulletin to subscribers.  I recently got the latest which has a snippet about the editors bike and how long lasting the Rotax engine is (and the clutch).  He has ignored the BMW imperative to not use synthetic oil.  I have edited the imperial measurements to metric.

Page 64 of 'Maintenance Instructions  F650GS  F650GS Dakar':
"! Attention  Do not use synthetic oils."

Page 3  'Sprockets  Issue #37  August 2007':

"Slick & Slicker
With 192,000 and more on my 1997 Classic I am a bit concerned about prolonging engine life.  At 96,000 km I began using a Swiss oil, a synthetic, that has served me well.

Recently I received a new brand of stnthetic, Panolin.  I changed oil and filter just before I left for the MOA rally in Wisconsin.  I towed a trailer, so the gross weight was 470 kg and I rode hard; the return ride was 2240 km in two days at 120 kph.  I am pleased to say that after 6400 km the oil seems to have performed well.  The bike has the original clutch.
...."

I use semi-synthetic but will probably change to fully synthetic on the strength of this when I get to about 50,000 km.