Sand Riding Orgy and a visit to the Quarry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crossed-up said:
While looking around for the easy back entrance to the quarry I came across Hilton and Dirk looking for WDs.  The 3 of explored the quarry for a while until we got word that Leftless' bike had broken down on the Eskom servitude behind the quarry.  We joined them there and a replacement part was brought in and Leftless was bikeless no more.

Thanks chaps - awesome ride in the dunes. 

Broken down is a good way of putting it -  that is kicking off some critical electronic bits while doing a ground loop and falling on my head  :p...  Luckily Vliegvark hat just the part i needed at home (he flies bmw's) and had it delivered withing about 20 mins - fantastic, bike fixed.  Unfortunately i cracked my shoulder socket and tore a couple of ligaments in the process :'( .. should be riding in a day or two, or a week or two, or ... :patch:

Anyway, i had great fun.

Leftless

Hi Leftless, sorry to hear about the shoulder!!!!!!!! That was a biggy, bloody "sand monster" again.......!!

It was nice riding with u and goodluck with the injury!!

jinne leftless sorry tp hear about the shoulder , it was lekka riding with you guys and meeting all of you we must do it again.

Leftless said:
Crossed-up said:
While looking around for the easy back entrance to the quarry I came across Hilton and Dirk looking for WDs.  The 3 of explored the quarry for a while until we got word that Leftless' bike had broken down on the Eskom servitude behind the quarry.  We joined them there and a replacement part was brought in and Leftless was bikeless no more.

Thanks chaps - awesome ride in the dunes. 

Broken down is a good way of putting it -  that is kicking off some critical electronic bits while doing a ground loop and falling on my head  :p...  Luckily Vliegvark hat just the part i needed at home (he flies bmw's) and had it delivered withing about 20 mins - fantastic, bike fixed.  Unfortunately i cracked my shoulder socket and tore a couple of ligaments in the process :'( .. should be riding in a day or two, or a week or two, or ... :patch:

Anyway, i had great fun.

Leftless

Jy het jou behoorlik in jou moer geval! Gat oor kop, Man Down! Sterkte!

Shit happens - and nothing a little voltaren injection cannot fix  >:D...    Will probably rest this one for a while. :-\

Leftless

Riaan said:
ek haal my hoed af vir julle. Ek ken daai duine soos die palm van my hand .

Vreander die palm van jou hand ook elke keer as die wind waai? ;D

I must say, i had a lot of fun on the dunes.  We definitely need to go back there.

Leftless

Leftless said:
Shit happens - and nothing a little voltaren injection cannot fix  >:D...    Will probably rest this one for a while. :-\

And I didn't even know you had fallen!  I just assumed it was a case of teutonic over-engineering. 

Get well soon.  Get on your bike soon.

Wat sukkel julle so met die back entrance :D

Frohan, goed om te sien jy is weer op die been, of altans bike! :thumleft:

It was a quick high-side..    :-\

BMW in all their wisdom placed a fairly critical engine sensor in one of the stupidest places possible.  This is the second sensor i broke in six months.  If you move your left foot to far forward to fast the sensor goes...

Lrftless

EtienneNXR said:
Wat sukkel julle so met die back entrance :D

A longwinded answer.  :p

I know that some people avoid the quarry because of the difficulty of getting there.  Experienced sand riders have no trouble.  But I've now been to the quarry 3 times with the dogs (and a great many times in other company).  Each time they have stubbornly gone in by the very sandy tracks under the power lines.  And each time some of the big bikes sukkel like crazy and their enjoyment of the occasion is spoiled. :(  There are many other entrances.  The very easiest is from the gravel road down the side of Morningstar smallholdings.  You go down this road until you find a steel gate on the right covered with shadecloth.  Turn left exactly here and there is a very nice short track into the back (smaller) quarry that any bike or biker should manage quite comfortably.  Recently there has been some earthmoving activity along the back of Morningstar which has resulted in a pile of earth across this track.  We improved the entrance somewhat yesterday and I still reckon it's a much easier way in for the gravitationally advantaged.  That's all.

To hijack my own hijack:

This earthmoving makes me very pessimistic about the future of the quarry. :-[  All I say is ride it while you can.  :ricky: Suburban sprawl is driving us further out all the time.  :mad:

bradleys said:
Hey Michiel watch that sand it will really stuff your motor ,try and use a old stocking to cover your air intake to try and keep most of the sand out.Nice pics as usual. :thumleft:

Ja, thats roff!

I've been in and out of there many times the past four years with no problems using either the old MX track entrance (sandy whoops) or the power line entrance without problems.  Don't know what happened this time round...

Leftless

Nobody ever have helmet cams when you need them... :-\

Leftless

Jip it was good excercise, It's farken lots of work to keep 300kg +.... a- float on a 130 rear tyre  :eek: , thats why I just mostly did the eend- loop  :mwink: Some chaps needed some shade and rehidration  :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1237 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1237 (Small).JPG
    68.3 KB
  • IMG_1239 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1239 (Small).JPG
    64.8 KB