Slumdogs are getting lost in the Kei - Who's to blame? Mapsource??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KALLY

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
The trouble with adventure bike riding is that the more you ride, the less new roads there are to see, and one has to venture further and further from home to find them.

Luckily maps fascinate me, and I can spend hours and hours looking at them on Mapsource and Google Earth, and you will be surprised how often one finds some back roads that you have not done that turn out to be real gems.
This is the story about one such ride.

As I live in East London we have the Transkei on our doorstep and my friends and I Ride there fairly often, however we normally ride near the coast and end up at some coastal village. But I noticed on Googel Earth the other day a road just above Bolo (near Stutterheim) which crossed the Kie River and then ran parallel to the river and came out on the N2 between Butterworth and East London.
So early one Saturday morning, My self, JMOL, Irish, Mr P, Amarok, Aardvark, SAKLX650C, and non dog Barry set off to have a look.

SDC11139.jpg

When your first pic of the day,is this you just know it’s gonna be a good ride.

We rode tar as far as Macleantown and then took a beautiful little dirt road that runs towards Komga, It hasn't been maintained for years and is in just the right state of disrepair, some bad ruts and fairly rough in places, ( If you are an Adventure bike rider you can sometimes be glad the ANC is in power, how else would you get roads like this?)

SDC11144.jpg

Regrouping after the first bit of dirt.

SDC11145.jpg

Crossing the Black Kei

SDC11146.jpg

JMOL checking on the Back-up vehicle