The 1981 R100G/S @ the Amageza

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really confused, getting back into town, after a short shakedown run, neil was happy with the bike and that was the end of the run!  :patch: :patch: :patch: I have clearly not been riding long enough, and being fully kited up, ready for the Rally inspection, my ass still itched to ride some more.

But first we had a nice greasy breakfast in the Hotel, good for a babalas, and soon after I went up to the satellite research area.  Could not get up all the way, as you have to be accompanied by a guide, took some photo's and came back.  I met another R80 riding and we decided to team up for the Rally! But more on that a bit later!

Luckily I had already qualified so my Friday was a bit chilled, hanging around town and camp, talking k@k and waiting for the inspection to start!

Attachments

• IMG_4150.jpg
    IMG_4150.jpg
    175 KB
  • IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    188.4 KB
  • IMG_4153.jpg
    IMG_4153.jpg
    166.5 KB
  • IMG_4154.jpg
    IMG_4154.jpg
    173.3 KB
  • IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4155.jpg
    139.3 KB
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    225.5 KB
Mike, that bike of yours is truly special.  :thumleft:  I'm not really a GS fan, but that bike has real old school grit!  It reminds me of the Bultaco's you used to get in the 70's.

I'm glad you had such a great time, and showed us all how to really ride a 30 year old GS! 

It was nice to get to know you as well.

Looking forward to hearing about your ride.

Thanks Alan, I love my bike!  >:D

okay so, let's go on,

At the inspection, they checked the bike, GPS and my blood pressure and heart beat. I am totally clueless regarding medical stuff, only go to the doctor to have blood stopped, you know stitches ext. The lady said my blood pressure was a bit high, but okay  ??? ??? must report if I have a headache. Passing inspection and getting asked some question, we were told to be ready at 16:00, group photographs.

Hanging around at the start in the middle of town we heard someone just high sided his 640 and broke his collar bone, dawn, that was a shitty one, out of the race he was.

The group meeting in the main road in town really brought the whole thing together. The colour Orange was everywhere, with some other colours blending in between. Bike from 990, Africa twins, XR’s  small and medium BMW,WR dakar bikes, hussies and one 1200GS. I new this was going to be a good one.

Remember Schalk, the guy that I got a lift with, well he left early Friday morning to qualify. In the mist of all the talking rubbish, meeting people that you only know from there avatar photo’s, I had forgotten about Schalk. At around 14:00 I started speaking to people, asking around, anyone seen Schalk.

Schalk was missing

The recovery vehicle already sweeped the route and there was no one! WTF

So long story short, we all got together for dinner, Schalk still missing, got our road books, Schalk still missing, coloured and marked the books (thanks Neil aka Blue Bull again, what a legend), Schalk was still missing. I started getting these visions of me riding home in his bakkie and telling his wife, sorry we could not find him.

At 22:30 we received news they found him, he was stuck for most of the day in two mud holes, and eventually just waited for the recovery. The problem was that he was stuck in a area, were only the owner of the farms Hilux could go, dubble diff lock high body monster type Hilux.  Using the engine heat he kept himself warm idling the bike for 10 minutes and sitting as close to the heat as possible. Man, Sutherland is a cold place!

Well great if this is the way the weekend will start, this should make for a good story, to tell you grandkids some day!

Attachments

• IMG_4162.jpg
    IMG_4162.jpg
    175.4 KB
  • IMG_4167.jpg
    IMG_4167.jpg
    174.8 KB
  • IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    163.6 KB
  • IMG_4164.jpg
    IMG_4164.jpg
    235.4 KB
  • IMG_4163.jpg
    IMG_4163.jpg
    225.1 KB
  • IMG_4161.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg
    195 KB
  • IMG_4160.jpg
    IMG_4160.jpg
    183.3 KB
  • IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    173.1 KB
  • IMG_4158.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg
    147.5 KB
  • IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    199.2 KB
and some more

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpg
    IMG_4168.jpg
    207.6 KB
  • IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    194.3 KB
  • IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    167.3 KB
  • IMG_4172.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg
    147.4 KB
  • IMG_4173.jpg
    IMG_4173.jpg
    84.5 KB
  • IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    68.8 KB
Was great meeting you in Sutherland... I totally enjoyed seeing you & your awesome machine in action. Well done with Broekskeur!!!

Great RR Mike.  :deal:  Keep it coming  :thumleft:

Awesome RR.

Maybe one day ill be able to join you all for a good ride! :mwink:

Awesome. It is you who have inspired me to try it on my DR next year. The DR's 10 years younger, but equally as cool! Another bike for the air cooled class......

Well done Mike !! Great RR .... keep it coming  :thumleft:

Lekker Mike...gooi nog. Dalk as ek eendag soos jy kan ry sal Oros my ook sponsor...... :peepwall:

Great report - keep it coming!

It was good to meet you, Mike.  You definitely had the coolest bike in Sutherland.

Hi Mad Mike, thanks for the ride together from JHB to Sutherland and back and the sharing of the cost, I think you are a great guy and we will still do some riding together in the future. I will still do a RR on myself getting lost on the Amageza qualify, take care Schalk.

Lekker report so far Mike. I really enjoyed our conversations through the weekend and your friendship. Your bike is pure legend now, and it was thrilling you got the sponsorship you needed for this. :thumleft: I have a feeling that bike will become one of the old faithfuls of the Amageza every year.

Sorry we did such a short ride on Friday. I was also keen to ride more, but felt to err on the side of caution would be wise, especially seeing the organizers forbid us to ride in the vicinity before the event.  :-\ Besides that breakfast was awesome.

I have been going through the video today, and there is some nice footage of you that I will put up. Here are some screenshots of our shakedown ride to keep you going in the meanwhile:

Mike1-XL.jpg

mike2-XL.jpg

Mike3-XL.jpg

Bliksem!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: