The Wood for the Trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomber11

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
In our search for freedom and peace of mind, we left the city life far behind.

DSC00760.jpg

Our plan was to utilise the accumulated space-banked points for a weekend in Hazyview to experience the intriguing wooded forests of Mpumalunga. During our adventures over the past few years, we have experienced various terrains and conditions ranging from mud, rocks, mountain passes, valleys, river beds, thick sand, soft sand, powdery sand, corrugated and rutted roads, cold, wind and of course rain. While setting up an interesting route through the tree plantations, we hoped to experience firsthand the beauty and serenity these wooded areas have always captured while driving past.
The pack would be made up of five dogs with Zugger and Bomber11 tackling the gale force winds on Friday afternoon, Amelis would be leaving later that day with the bike loaded onto his bakkie while the final two (Bushboy and Husamarine)would brave the early morning cold and darkness to join us by eight thirty.

Everything went according to plan until Saturday morning when Husamarine’s 950 decided that the trip was a bad idea and started to splutter some 30kilo’s into the ride near Bronkhorstspruit. (We somehow suspect that he was missing his wife and family far too much to consider a weekend with his riding buddies). After a little fiddling on the bike next to the road in the cold and darkness, no improvement was apparent so a seriously disappointed and understandably pissed-off Husamarine reluctantly had to turn back and miss the weekend. This unplanned event obviously had three very important implications, firstly that our pack would be incomplete and Husamarine would miss out on a great opportunity to ride the forests. Secondly, Bushboy had to ride the remaining 350km on a very fresh morning all on his very lonesome while thirdly, I had passed on all the GPS way-points of the planned route to Husamarine to load for the trip.(Fortunately by pure luck, I had a rough diagram of the planned route packed into my kit)
Husamarine had booked his bike in for a service on the Monday prior to the trip, requesting to collect the bike on Wednesday afternoon so that he could test drive it while on his way to work on Thursday. Unfortunately due to various internal servicing shambles at the dealership, Husamarine was only able to collect the bike late Friday afternoon by trailer and therefore the test drive never took place.

Bushboy arrived ahead of schedule, a little cold but all in one piece. A quick breakfast on the veranda in the fresh morning air, we then started off on our adventure supported by a rough sketch indicating a few route markings.

(Breakfast)

DSC00775.jpg

(Petrol stop at Hazyview)

DSC00737.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

It wasn’t long before I took the wrong turn-off and headed for Da Gama dam which was on the sketch but with vague details. We rode around the dam then headed on a forest track which looked well used but led us into a grape plantation. After chasing a few more ‘well used tracks’, I finally had to concede that I was lost, so we re-tracked back to the dam and onto the tar road.

(The Da Gama Dam)
DSC00740.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

Turning immediately off the tar again, we headed into the forests towards the R537.

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00764.jpg

Crossed the R537 and progressed to the little town of Hendriksdal where again we crossed over the R37 and followed the main dirt track until it turned to tar.

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00751.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

Left onto the R539, left again onto the R37 but then immediately right into the plantations.

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

Navigation became quite difficult because of the many well-used tracks leading in various directions. As our GPS was on a bike back in Gauteng, getting lost was a ‘gimme’, so we had to rely on Bushboy’s cell phone GPS for an escape route out of the forest.

DSC00764.jpg

Bushboy please HELP!!
DSC00765.jpg

Near Witklipdam we bundu-bashed around the first boom-gate and behind a friendly car we slipped through a second boom-gate (the security advised us that no bikes were allowed) which eventually led us to the R537.

DSC00766.jpg

Vrek, dit lyk lekker. My heel eerste gravel trip was in daardie area en ek sal altyd daar wil ry! :thumleft:

Near Witklipdam we bundu-bashed around the first boom-gate and behind a friendly car we slipped through a second boom-gate (the security advised us that no bikes were allowed) which eventually led us to the R537.

By now the need for some refreshments was seriously overdue, so we headed for Sabie by tar and were delighted when the waiter promptly handed us each a draught of the famous Namibia brew.
While enjoying the breather at Woodman’s, we all looked forward to the twisties from Sabie to Hazyview.
Zugger - holding back a laugh.

DSC00768.jpg

Bushboy - happy the dirt was over for the day.

DSC00767.jpg

Amelis - proud that his choice of bike was perfect for the forest.

DSC00770.jpg

Bomber11 - surprised that he finally made a photo.

DSC00771.jpg

Our speed in amongst the twisties was slightly better than ‘on-the- safe- side’ considering that we all ran well use knobblies ranging from Mitas E10’s front and Karoo T’s rear. Well that was all before a Super Tenere came flying past me on one of the sweeping turns which gave me a huge fright as I was so focusing on the road and felt we were travelling at a really good speed not to even consider any traffic from the rear. This guy disappeared into the distance with his free-flow exhaust and his semi-slick tyres – definitely from the area as he again came past us on Sunday morning whilst we were homeward bound fully loaded (this time in the slipstream of an Aprillia).

Sunday the weather was fresh but the ride from Hazyview, through Sabie, over Long Tom Pass upto Dullstroom was as wonderful as ever. Arrived home under three and a half hours whilst stopping only at the Shell Ultra to stretch the legs.

DSC00753.jpg

Definitely one trip to repeat again shortly, hopefully next time with the entire pack and of course a backup GPS.

Freedom and peace of mind in the forest - what a buzz
DSC00762.jpg

Short video to follow once Bushbaby has done some editing.

Hey dit lyk of dit lekker was!

Niks soos 'n paar lekker plantasiepaaie nie - net die draaie is soms stof-getrap deur die bosbou lorries.

This was a great weekend break away , with good friends and great riding. You know that we could do the trip with allot less stopping if it was not for Amelis's KTM with the light tank. hahahahahahah

Must do this again - sooooonnnnn.. :ricky:

Latest posts