Traffic Filtering - To what extent is this acceptable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Having moved down to Cape Town I am now seriously considering to commute with my bike on a regular basis for various reasons.

However, not having done this previously I was wondering to what extent it is acceptable for us on two wheels to filter through traffic and for instance ride up to the front of an intersection / offramp / stationary queue of cages, "push in" in front of all cages and so one?

It seems to me that the couple of times that I have done this previsouly, 99% of cage drivers seems to gallantly accept the fact that you have this 'right' to push in front of them, as long as you don't cause them any hassle (i.e. prevent them from doing whatever they intend doing). I have of course also came across the odd d*** that does not want to goive you one inch and will do anything in their power to prevent you for instance from passing them in their lane or filtering through stationary vehicles to the front at a red robot etc.

Any 2cents worth from you seasoned commuters will be much appreciated.