Unfinished business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning photos  :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

Your pics are in a class of their own  :thumleft:  Thank you for sharing your journey

Wow ...great ride report .....how did Johann  get the Transalp out of Die Hel ?
Great photies  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Coxwain said:
Wow ...great ride report .....how did Johann  get the Transalp out of Die Hel ?
Great photies  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Quite a story : With the TransAlp stuck, two other bikes stopped, and the one rider mentioned that there was a bakkie behind them. The bakkie had a canopy on, so could not help, but gave Johann a a lift to Outshoorn. By that time his wife had already arranged a recovery and these guys went to fetch it, while Johann waited in Outshoorn for his wife. He was home by 12 and the Transalp fixed by Monday.

MegaPix said:
So gaan jy nou nie die laaste dag se fotos wys nie of wag jy eers vir my

Looks like I have some unfinished business here too  ::)

It does seem like I skipped entirely over Day 8. I was reminded by Kobus that on our way back from Bloemfontein, we did stop briefly in Winburg. First for Jane to visit the church and secondly for us to visit the Voortrekker monument. This one has a similar construction to let the sun shine on a plaque on the 16th of Desember. However, as with most things where our history is involved, this place is completely derelict.

Ducth reformed church in Winburg
P1KwJST4AnGijUC-GCMMFRAtNBizTchqA4aQh8EBS3A=w900-h600-no

The monument
IMG_7036_6102-Edit.jpg

This is where the sun shines through onto the piece of ground that once had a plaque on it.
VoortrekkerMonumentWinburg.jpg

Thanks for the RR!

Really enjoying the exceptional photos, it makes such a difference when somebody goes the extra mile  ;D

Thanks for everyone that took the time to comment. This tour, even though it was only a week long, was absolutely amazing. I paid for accommodation in Die Hel, Hartenbos and George. The rest of the time I stayed with friends. To clarify further, I could have stayed with friends in Hartenbos too, but they were renovating their house, and I thought it best if I did not inconvenience them further. I could also have stayed with Johann in George, but they were in and out the whole day distributing Johann's new newspaper. Bottom line is that a lot of people opened their houses to me, and without that, my trip would have been a lonely affair.

My dream is to one day have a house down in the Western Cape somewhere, with some form of sleeping arrangement and bike cleaning station, so that I can pay it forward.

I like to travel alone, but I like to reminisce with friends. 

Very nice trip and amazing photos! Thank you for sharing.

Latest posts