WC Ride to EC Bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N[]vA said:
isiTututu said:
Pistonpete said:
Who says a backup bakkie & BMW on call sucks now!

Of course its nice to have backup, but it pisses me off that these expensive machines (all brands), that purport to be "adventure" bikes, designed to go anywhere, are less reliable than my 15 year old Jetta that is worth next to bugger-all.

Yes, I know, it's a battery, and I shouldn't blame battery failure on BMW (even though they were the ones that selected this battery, and many of them have failed), but it just doesn't inspire confidence. I carry a reasonably comprehensive tool-kit, and believe I can make a plan with most problems, but a buggered (not just flat) battery on one of these computerised machines is a completely terminal ailment.

I bought a new, supposedly no-compromise, bike so that I could travel solo to remote places, and not have to rely on anyone else.
After the failure on the drz and Dunce's 990 and now your 800 I am going to add a voltage and amp meter tot he 690 so I can see when its going tits up

Like the one on Dunce's dash..........?

Tuareg said:
N[]vA said:
isiTututu said:
Pistonpete said:

Of course its nice to have backup, but it pisses me off that these expensive machines (all brands), that purport to be "adventure" bikes, designed to go anywhere, are less reliable than my 15 year old Jetta that is worth next to bugger-all.

Yes, I know, it's a battery, and I shouldn't blame battery failure on BMW (even though they were the ones that selected this battery, and many of them have failed), but it just doesn't inspire confidence. I carry a reasonably comprehensive tool-kit, and believe I can make a plan with most problems, but a buggered (not just flat) battery on one of these computerised machines is a completely terminal ailment.

I bought a new, supposedly no-compromise, bike so that I could travel solo to remote places, and not have to rely on anyone else.
After the failure on the drz and Dunce's 990 and now your 800 I am going to add a voltage and amp meter tot he 690 so I can see when its going tits up

Like the one on Dunce's dash..........?
didnt see that

Yip it works as long as you turn it on now and again.... to check the battery. It makes sense too...I cal also see if the battery is charging whilst running. Just need to be aware that batteries can cause kak on your bike.
I posted an enquiry about my hassels and here is a good reply...I am sure this applies to those BMW push bikes too....

Archangel
......When the motor runs, your battery acts as a voltage regulator, draining the 13.7V your alternator puts out down to the 12V that your motor and electronics needs. The 12V is used to run the rest of the motor while the extra 1.7V is used to charge the battery (runs into the battery, recharging it). When your battery is shot, more power runs into the battery (battery drains the power) and not enough power goes to electronics. In other words the output voltage will be less than 12V. Some of it might work, some wont. You might lose a spark every now and then, lights will be dim, fuel pump will not run at optimal voltage etc etc. Basically you have no guarantee that anything will work.

I will take a pic and try post it tomorrow for you to see....works on red,orange,green lcd light's mounted into dash and operates on a flick switch.

Dunce said:
I will take a pic and try post it tomorrow for you to see....works on red,orange,green lcd light's mounted into dash and operates on a flick switch.
kewl shot!  :thumleft:

Krogs recommended this charger

https://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3271.htm

isiTututu said:
Pistonpete said:

That is why we have old basic go anywhere KLR'S

KLR said:
isiTututu said:
Pistonpete said:

Have you sorted your Doohickey? :mwink:

isiTututu said:
bradleys said:
Yes it was a lekker ride,you guys and girls are the best 8). Andy is hopefully comming out of hospital later ,will chech and let you guys know when he is up for visitors.

Thanks bradleys - I hope Andy recognises some of us when we do visit him!

When the dust has settled a bit, I think we all need to convene for some fluids somewhere. :bar:
+1

edgy said:
KLR said:
isiTututu said:
Pistonpete said:

Have you sorted your Doohickey? :mwink:
Have ordered the eagle one  :thumleft:will fit it shortly and do major service at the same time :biggri :biggrin:

isiTututu said:
Dunce said:
...I am sure this applies to those BMW push bikes too....

Ahemm!  I only recall one particular bike being pushed.... and pushed and pushed and pushed   :mwink:

ja eks nog steeds styf van al die gestoot........

Blackball said:
isiTututu said:
Dunce said:
...I am sure this applies to those BMW push bikes too....

Ahemm!  I only recall one particular bike being pushed.... and pushed and pushed and pushed   :mwink:

ja eks nog steeds styf van al die gestoot........

What did I miss ? Whose bike was pushed ? ???

The only thing Jannie stooted that made him stiff was the pig-----SIS MAN--- :laughing4:

Ps he helped push my bike with the battery problem.

Ja , she is one big heavy bitch that takes it out of you........... that pig took advantage of me. :'(

Rynet said:
Yea the battery on my GS1200 causes me eternal head aches too . I go for a battery check-up before any long trip, convinced that my battery is going to die any minute , because the Beemers batteries give you not the faintest hint that is about to die. They work super perfect one minute and the next minute they are dead , and it usually happens when you are far from home  ???

So my GS1200 has been on the take- away van twice for battery failure, fortutately both times not too far from hom . A friend's battery on his GS1200 died in Nam, not nice . What else can one do than carry a spare battery or check it every month and hope for the best ? :-\

How long have you had the battery in the bike ?

Ja, that little varkie is seriously twisted up, he could open two bottles of Cabernet in the time it takes to say '' WTF was that''.

PS.........I wonder what piggies do to unwind after a hard days work.

BMWPE said:
Rynet said:
Yea the battery on my GS1200 causes me eternal head aches too . I go for a battery check-up before any long trip, convinced that my battery is going to die any minute , because the Beemers batteries give you not the faintest hint that is about to die. They work super perfect one minute and the next minute they are dead , and it usually happens when you are far from home  ???

So my GS1200 has been on the take- away van twice for battery failure, fortutately both times not too far from hom . A friend's battery on his GS1200 died in Nam, not nice . What else can one do than carry a spare battery or check it every month and hope for the best ? :-\

I have had this battery approximately one year , but my last two batteries also only lasted approximately one year each . I do ride every day so the batteries should last longer , maybe I am too heavy, or too heavy on the throttle  :biggrin: >:D

Rynet said:
BMWPE said:
Rynet said:

I have had this battery approximately one year , but my last two batteries also only lasted approximately one year each . I do ride every day so the batteries should last longer , maybe I am too heavy, or too heavy on the throttle  :biggrin: >:D
Your batts should last way longer surely....is there a GS tech thread on here?

Pistonpete said:
Rynet said:
BMWPE said:
Rynet said:
Yea the battery on my GS1200 causes me eternal head aches too . I go for a battery check-up before any long trip, convinced that my battery is going to die any minute , because the Beemers batteries give you not the faintest hint that is about to die. They work super perfect one minute and the next minute they are dead , and it usually happens when you are far from home  ???

I have had this battery approximately one year , but my last two batteries also only lasted approximately one year each . I do ride every day so the batteries should last longer , maybe I am too heavy, or too heavy on the throttle  :biggrin: >:D
Your batts should last way longer surely....is there a GS tech thread on here?

good idea I will look into it, ok I posed a question on the workshop sheet , will see