Why I don't post "gentle" ride plans/invites any more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I have received a few PMs in the last month or so asking why I don't seem to be riding much and organizing "social", "newbie" or "gentle" rides any more.

I was also asked what happened to the plan to hold a "Monthly Valley of 1K hills social ride"?

I am riding, but with smaller groups, and mostly just organized by email or phone - and enjoying it greatly. I suspect that most of KZN rides this way. 

A few months ago I made a decision that "group" rides don't really work that well, and as a result I have not posted any invites, and nor do I plan to.  I really love showing folks the nice places I have found over the years, and I still love exploring, but the urge to post "planning a ride" threads is gone.

The problem is that rides are not cheap socks - one size fits all - and different folks want different things from the ride in terms of the technical nature, speed and distance, and some guys find it really hard to compromise. 

As Calvin, from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip once said, "A good compromise leaves everyone angry", and I do admit that at times I find myself getting a wee bit pissed off when a "gentle" ride, turns into an agro race over the hills.

But I have been karked out for this changed attitude, and have been instructed to review it, although I am not sure a review is on the cards.

I think, possibly selfishly, that the status quo is just fine. The guys who prefer the more technical stuff seem to be organizing rides, and from the RR's they seem to be having a good time out there, so it seems the KZN guys have found their comfort zones, and the "Planning" board is relatively silent. 

And if it ain't bust why fix it?

A possible problem I see is that there may be guys out there keen to ride, but they have nobody to ride with, and maybe no idea where to ride. Or there may be guys from other parts of the country who would like to hook up with the locals while down here in the Kingdom.

So here is a standing offer. If you would like to get out there on KZN roads, and if you don't mind a slower, more gentle ride, and you can stick to my list of "I'd really rather you didn's",  then put a request on this board or send a PM and I'd love to show you around or keep you company.

I'm a older single guy with a very empty nest, a working bike, a garage card, a GPS, and I don't even own a pass book that needs stamping. 

:ricky: