Namaqualand Solo Aug/Sep 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Herewith a summarised report on my trip with Rooimier. I did it solo and enjoyed every moment of it.

Two weeks before the planned departure date (24/08) the bike was packed and ready. I found myself fiddling around and repacking/checking etc every evening. Ha ha.

On the 24th, at 06:03 I left Roodepoort and took the N14. Purpose, to get out of the Gauteng traffic asap. First stop was in Vryheid for breakfast. I pulled the Rooimier right next to the window of the Spur and ordered coffee and breakfast. The fist cup had a serious defect in and the coffee disappeared without me tasting it. The second was savoured with the breakfast. Outside, a group of you boys gathered around Rooimier and I could hear the Ooohhh and Aaaahhh's. They promised each other that one day.....and then took pictures of the bike with their cell phones.

Left Vryburg and dashed through to Olifandshoek. Filled up and bought a braaipack for later the evening. Pushed on up to upington and camped at the Eiland. Had my tent up and the braai ready before dark. At a chalet close by a group of people were sitting in a group and I could hear their laughter and every now and then "Ag Jirre..."!

Washed down the braaipack with two cold beers.

Attachments

• P8246701.JPG
    P8246701.JPG
    420 KB
By 19:00 I was in bed. It was dark and getting cold.
The next morning I allowed myself a long hot shower, cup of geyser coffee and 2 rusks before I broke camp and left. A camper there told me about a very nice new place in Kakemas where I MUST stop for coffee. So; when I got there at about 09:00 I thought it might also be a nice place for breakfast. Entering the shop there was two gents who greeted me with "ons is lekker jaloers". I ended up sitting with them, chatting about biking and everything with it. They are also bikers and I suggested they should join the Wild Dog forum.

Only then did I realise that today is actually my birthday and that I want to be between the flowers on this day! So I headed off towards Springbok. 50 km before Springbok I could see the first of the flowers. But I needed to go on and turned south towards Kamieskroon. In the little town only one shop was still open. I managed to buy coffee, farmbread with cheese and biltong. Before I left I bought two more slices of the bread. Outside was a lady, her husband, mother and German student trying to fix a flat tyre. I helped them quickly and then tackled the gravel road toward marius van Wyk's farm, Blou Klippe.

The entrance to the farm...

Attachments

• 20130825_155245.jpg
    20130825_155245.jpg
    381.8 KB
At the farm I was guided by Isak and his wife Saartjie to the cement dam and windpomp where I will be spending the next 2 nights. Marius and his wife Serene was not there at that stage. The sandy road to the camping area was not without incident. All the time I tried to remember "Stand up; Look up; Open up" and you know what, IT ACTUALLY WORKED! A few times the bike snaked in the thickish sand and by merely opening up, it pulled right again.

Until I reached the little river crossing! Just before the river is a short, sharp 90 degree turn which I had to negotiate. Thick loose sand from the bakkie. No chance to "open up" and Rooimier stuck his front wheel between his legs...uhm...fork. I stayed upright, trying to keep the heavy bike upright again, but it was just to much weight for my vierietjie beentjies. I slowly dropped him, got off, picked him up again and spun my way through the thick sand. This time I kept seated and kept my feet out. Once through the corner I jumped up on the footpegs, looked up, opened up and made it through!

On top of the hill was another gate and a little further, the cement dam full of clear water. I picked a nice secluded spot and picted my tent. Thereafter I enjoyed my birthday cake and drink. Dry bread and coffee.

Attachments

• P8256725.JPG
    P8256725.JPG
    375.3 KB
The bread tasted like cake and the coffee like champagne. I sat between millions of colourful flowers. No sound except that of nature.

Attachments

• 20130825_173650.jpg
    20130825_173650.jpg
    411.6 KB
  • 20130825_173650.jpg
    20130825_173650.jpg
    411.6 KB
Some of the flowers...
PS: I am not a strong flower person. But it was amazing to see and even smell.

Attachments

• P8266761.JPG
    P8266761.JPG
    431.5 KB
The next morning it was misty and cold. Took the plunge and a quick dip in the cement dam. Getting out it was "Leeu koud!" Had to use pepper to drain the oil.

Attachments

• P8266728.JPG
    P8266728.JPG
    308.4 KB
  • P8266762.JPG
    P8266762.JPG
    366.7 KB
Well, I tackled the river sand again, made it through, even went through the driffie water without mishap. Rode all the way into town and stopped at a little place for breakfast. Here I experienced hospitality that stuck with me for the rest of my trip. It must be something about the flowers...or the people...or the vibe. Even people from Pretoria greeted me. The coffee was good and the breakfast as well. Then I rode the 24 km gravel road to Skilpad, the Namaqua National Park. A few times I ended up off the road because I was checking out the scenery and not the road...haha. Luckily old Rooimier was patient and carried me through.

Attachments

• 20130826_105500.jpg
    20130826_105500.jpg
    358.2 KB
Just before the National Park I went past this old Murasie. The place is actually called "Die Murasie" and insite there was a few bites and a cold drink. Nice. I noticed REAL flower enthusiasts with HUGE cameras and LONG lenses, on tripods, taking close up pictures of the bacteria on the flowers!

The park itself was breathtaking. Orange, yellow, white and purple colours all over. And the best of it all...game rangers everywhere. If anyone steps off the road or demarkated areas, they help you back on the small and narrow. "Dont step on our flowers please...".

Attachments

• P8266756.JPG
    P8266756.JPG
    303.7 KB
  • P8266756.JPG
    P8266756.JPG
    303.7 KB
  • P8266756.JPG
    P8266756.JPG
    279.2 KB
Eish...sorry for the doubles...Ek sukkel bietjie...

Anyway, herewith a few more flower pics...

Attachments

• P8266776.JPG
    P8266776.JPG
    216.2 KB
As far as you can see...and the locals complain the flowers are going down...

Attachments

• P8266782.JPG
    P8266782.JPG
    299 KB
From Skilpad I took the farm roads back to my camp. Marius' farm is actually bordering the Park but I had to make my way through a number of gates. I made it in time for a quick dip. This picture was taken just before I lit the fire.

Attachments

• P8256727.JPG
    P8256727.JPG
    256.7 KB
A chilly morning wind greeted me when I got up. I was a bit tired due to a restless night's sleep. Actually it is very funny. So I will share. As from about 22:00 I heard movement outside my tent. i was getting tired of opening the 20 zips, getting out between the duwweltjies, looking around, checking the bike and finding nothing. But surely I am hearing something. Almost as if something is pulling something. And to cap it all...every now and then a low growl....
Later I just hit the side of the tent and shouted "Voetsek!". But never do I hear any movement of something running away. What can it be. I started eliminating...a cow? No...there's none around here. The grunting...maybe a pig? Can't be. None here. Sheep? Mmmm...maybe. But they will not do any harm to Rooimier. Ystervark? Eish...possibility. And they can damage the wiring they can get to.
So; I sat up and opened the zips just a little....ready with the tourch. Then I hear it...the sweeping sound again! And I noticed that the "door" part of my tent is being moved by a slight wind. THATs IT! ha ha ha...
And the growling...turned out to be my empty stomach. Hell...it was funny. Funnier must have been to hear me lauging at 04:30 in the morning.

Anyway...it was my last night on the farm. I packed up and stopped at the farmhouse. Took a few nice pics, thanked marius and Serene, took a few pics of the staff and left

Attachments

• P8266808.JPG
    P8266808.JPG
    240.3 KB
I have printed the pics of Isak, Saartjie and Johannes (individual and the group pic), laminated it and posted it to them via snail mail.
In Kamieskroon, Neels poured the first cup of coffee when he heard the Rooimier's healthy grunt. The breakfast and hospitality was from the top shelve again...

Attachments

• 20130826_110458.jpg
    20130826_110458.jpg
    332 KB
A group of tannies arrived at the shop and everyone wanted a pic with either the Rooimier, or the Drolpeer (that's me). This one lady was with her brother and his wife and insisted on mounting the Mier. Mmmm...his eyes flew wide open! I had to fill up with diesel to slow him down after that.

Attachments

• P8276846.JPG
    P8276846.JPG
    324.1 KB