Namaqualand Solo Aug/Sep 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goeie more aan al die Wille Honde. Eerstens...verskoning. The owners of Kuiervreugede is Peet and Elsa. I quoted a wrong name right in the beginning. Amazing how confused one can get in a week...hahaha.

Anyway, where was I?

So; after a warm night's sleep in a cosy flat in Doringbaai, I left in quite a strong wind. Skuins links van voor. I noticed that there are quite a number of different flowers in the area and I took a few pics of them as well. The vegetation also changed quite a bit. Most of the flowering plants were "vetplante" and it is clear that they need to store water in the leaves in this area. I was amazed, as I thought it will get more rain/dampness than in the upper part of the Namaqualand.

Attachments

• P8286864.JPG
    P8286864.JPG
    327.3 KB
I was cruising along at about 100 km/h, stopping every now and then. Around the bend from Lutzville I noticed this elderly couple next to the road. It was clear to me that they were not having a leg stretch or coffee, as the man bend down to a right rear wheel, fiddle a little, then stand up again. All the time holding on to the car. As I got closer I saw they had a flat. i turned around and noticed that the tannie starting walking towards the car door. What does this "rough, unmannered, hairy, stinking breath biker" want from them? So I stopped next to them, but on the other side of the road and called out" wag...ek kom help". The tannie seem to relax and I parked the Rooimier behind them.

Must have taken me 5 minutes to change the tyre. In this time they told me that they are on their way to van Rhyn's dorp for medice for the oom and that they live in Lambertsbaai. Directly behind the caravan park. Today they had their first flat in all the time of travveling the gravel road between Lambertsbaai and Doringbaai.
While I was changing the tyre, the tannie fed the Rooimier marshmellows or something. I swear his headlight was shining extra strong afterwards.

Well they blessed me for helping them I I felt blessed for doing it. So I blessed them as well. Wish I could do more.

Attachments

• P8286873.JPG
    P8286873.JPG
    300.1 KB
Next stop was in Nieuwoudville, where I had to fill up. That marshmellows made the Mier thirsty. I met the pump attendant Neville and asked him "what is happening in this town today". He indicated that I should go into the garage shop and see. Eish...I just wanted to chat and said thanks but no thanks. I do not want to stare at a poster against a wall informing me of a book-sale at the local library, or that Tant Sannie se jongste, Pootjie Kraalogies, will sing tonight at the school hall. So I shrugged it off. Neville asked me what I am doing there and I told him...I came to experience the flowers. He then told me that, if I want to see a MALE flower, I must go inside.
So...it was obvious that he wants me to enter the building and I said, OK. Before I entered he laughed and said..."Make sure you come out again". Mmmm...Mafia Headquarters? But...I am not afraid. So I kept my helmet on and stepped inside! Wow....I almost fainted!

Attachments

• 20130828_114605.jpg
    20130828_114605.jpg
    387.5 KB
Well, this is what I found inside. More than 300 motorcycles, different ages; all in running condition. Even a few old cars. Also restored. "It is our pension" says the proud owner Tinus Coetzer. Here he is with his wife Sandy.

Attachments

• 20130828_114709.jpg
    20130828_114709.jpg
    235.5 KB
An hour later I staggered out of the building. Neville sat on a konka, puffing on a BB Zol with an all-knowing smile on his face. "Ekt djou gasê djy moet sieke maak djy koem wie da yt"....
Suddenly I realised what a "Male Flower" is. And the best one currently is my Rooimier!

Attachments

• 20130828_114627.jpg
    20130828_114627.jpg
    246.4 KB
I felt good as I rode away towards Calvinia. Bob Seager and the Silver Bullet Band played that song: "Turn the page" and I was tempted to push on past my mental limits, saving Rooimier's front tyre a bit. I slowed down and started looking at the veld around me again. Just in time as I had to turn around to the Nieuwoudville Botanic Gardens. The two ladies confirmed that entrance is free, but I can leave them a tip if I want coming out...

Attachments

• 20130828_123252.jpg
    20130828_123252.jpg
    485.4 KB
So I entered and rode the short but very scenic route through the gardens. A number of new species were in full bloom and I took more pictures. Got on hands and knees like a true flower lover and studied it from all angles.

Attachments

• 20130828_122759.jpg
    20130828_122759.jpg
    277.4 KB
At the gate the two ladies tried to convince me to buy "Skuinskoek". I got of the Rooimier back, took my helmet off and started chatting with them. They sell their Askoek and Skuinskoek there for a little extra. One of them carries the same surname as me nogal. I took a picture of her and we tried to see the resemblance. Uhm...very little.
In red is Magrieta Steyn and her business partnes in purple is Carolien Kotze.

Attachments

• 20130828_123628.jpg
    20130828_123628.jpg
    316.4 KB
By now there was a strong resemblance to the proper Wild Dogs that this forum represents and I pushed on to Calvinia. Entering the town I just had to stop, have a cup of coffee and do some research in the "Palace" that wsa built a a certain Mr. Valie Muis, using MY teeth!. I found none of my teeth. Think it was used as mix into the foundation cement mix. No respectable mouse would have used my vrot teeth anyway...haha.

But the coffee was good...

Attachments

• 20130828_101320.jpg
    20130828_101320.jpg
    484.5 KB
But I was still hungry and two block further I saw this little place, advertising take-aways or you can sit and eat on the stoep. I asked the lady what is for lunch and she refered to a bord listing the normal russian, chips, etc. Not the type of food I like. "Or...if you are in a hurry we can offer you tomato bredie..." she said. "I am not a good cook, but I have the BEST cook in the Hantam wêreld she said.
I had a look at the bredie and decided this is not to be missed. FANTASTIC!
After my meal of lamb in tomato bredie, sweet pumpkin and rice, I offered Magriet (nog een ja) the option: Either she get a helmet and jacket and come with me to Roodepoort to teach old Violet how to cook, or I must buy property in Calvinia!
She just laughed and opted for me to buy property...

Attachments

• 20130828_135107.jpg
    20130828_135107.jpg
    314.7 KB
I neglected to say; going up van Rhyn's pass was something to see. The GPS had a pink blob on the screen. The twists and turn was barely recogniseable. When I reached the top, I stopped to take a few pictures. Two busses full of coloured and Indian elderlies stopped as well and we ended up chatting for another hour right there. names and addresses were exchanged. Amazing people!

Attachments

• P8286880.JPG
    P8286880.JPG
    262.8 KB
The photographer of the previous pic. He also instructed me to "point at something"! So when it was his turn, he obliged without argue...hehe.
His nametag reads "Uncle J", but "my friends call me Joe" he said.

Attachments

• P8286881.JPG
    P8286881.JPG
    253.5 KB
I slept over in Carnarvon that night. Booked into the caravan park, but eish...no good. So I ended up in another B&B again.
The next morning I left in clear skies, bloody cold outside (2 degrees) and enjoyed the long straights of the Karoo with "Looking out for a Hero" from Bonny Taylor in my ears. My fuel consumption dropped to an impressive 4.5 litres/100 km. 200 km further, the wind came up. Shook me around on the bike. Luckily, Rooimier had his 6 feet well grounded and I travelled on at a 45 degree angle. In Kimberly I stopped, turned my head to the normal position on my neck, had lunch and continued. By then my Rooimier used 5.9 l/100 km!. Still not bad. I was impressed.

Attachments

• P8286884.JPG
    P8286884.JPG
    297.4 KB
Last camp was in Bloemhof next to the dam. I was too tired to take pictures. 2 Minute noodles had to do for supper and coffee premix with hot water from the geyser to wash it down. I slept well.

The next morning I broke camp and left. At around 12:30 I pulled into my garage. Rooimier showed the signs of a long journey. After a proper cup of coffee I wahed him down and gave him a full body massage with Mr. Min.

Ready for the next trip!

What stood out from the trip is the following:

1. Obviously the flowers. Never seen so many growing wild. You can actually SMELL the flowers when you are on a bike.
2. The people. Everyone was in the Blomme-kyk vibe and friendly.
3. The scenes in the passes. Every now and then I had to remind myself to STOP, then look, then ride with your eyes focussed on the road!

4. "Wat die hart van vol is loop die mond van oor".  If one just stop and listen to those that you meet, you can ealsily pick up what is dear to them. it was good to experience that!

Nightwind said:
Last camp was in Bloemhof next to the dam. I was too tired to take pictures. 2 Minute noodles had to do for supper and coffee premix with hot water from the geyser to wash it down. I slept well.

The next morning I broke camp and left. At around 12:30 I pulled into my garage. Rooimier showed the signs of a long journey. After a proper cup of coffee I wahed him down and gave him a full body massage with Mr. Min.

Ready for the next trip!

What stood out from the trip is the following:

1. Obviously the flowers. Never seen so many growing wild. You can actually SMELL the flowers when you are on a bike.
2. The people. Everyone was in the Blomme-kyk vibe and friendly.
3. The scenes in the passes. Every now and then I had to remind myself to STOP, then look, then ride with your eyes focussed on the road!

4. "Wat die hart van vol is loop die mond van oor".  If one just stop and listen to those that you meet, you can ealsily pick up what is dear to them. it was good to experience that!
Dit is altyd die hoogtepunt van my trips.Stop and listen what people say.Priceless.Brilliant RR.