Namaqualand Solo Aug/Sep 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rest of the day was spend around Kamieskroon. I rode all the way up to Leliefontein. Stunning pass through the Kammiesberg and Boesmankop was a sight to see. I searchewd for the lelies in Leliefontein but stopped when a bunch of school kids started laughing at me. Just look at them. When I left, they shoulted "Spin hom Meneer!". I dared not...do now want to make my name Kevin Swantz...

Attachments

• 20130827_103021.jpg
    20130827_103021.jpg
    288.3 KB
The most beautiful scenery followed. The pass was built onto a steep hill and I realised that, if I loose concentration and go off the road, the fall will be very far. But I kept standing up, looking up. Made it in one piece to Gharies. There I just HAD to drink a beer. How many of you had the privelage of drinking a beer at 12:00 in Gharies? A young man came in and we started chatting. Turned out he followed his parents down from Heidelburg and now stays with them. He does not have a job but do what his hand finds to do for an income. He broke his arm and the Dr. prescribed at least one beer during the day. So...he made sure he kept to the Dr prescriptions.

Attachments

• 20130827_130809.jpg
    20130827_130809.jpg
    262.8 KB
A testing gravel road took me further until I reached Vredendal. The Olifants river was full and pushed up into the vineyards. I am not sure whether this is a good thing or not. At some places the vines were totally covered by water.

Attachments

• P8286877.JPG
    P8286877.JPG
    284.1 KB
Following my new friend in Gharies' advice, I rode on to Strandfontein. By now it was quite late, I was thirsty, hungry and the wind came up strong. It was very very cold and I realised I must pitch my tent asap. The caravan park in Strandfontein looked nice, but I must still find the office. Two coloured gents directed me 3 times, but I still could not find it. So; I pushed on to Doringbaai and booked into a small flat. After a long hot shower I walked out to the "Vis Spens" for supper. I was really hungry and ready for snoek and white wine. Alas...no wine served at the Spens, but I can go and buy a bottle and bring it with. Which was exactly what I did. By 18:00 I was seated and a double portion of snoek was prepared for me. I was the only customer; except for a very hairy looking Suzuki standing INSIDE the entrance to the pub. Turns out the Spens, the pub and the take-aways are linked and owned by the owner of the bike. Lekker man lekker. I attached the snoek and asked the lady to look away, as it might turn out to be related to Hyenas eating a rooibok. The owner came in and invited me over to the pub when I am done. 2 Glases of wine slipped down with the snoek. In the pub I found Anton (the owner) and his brother in law. We chatted along until 23:00. By then I had no wine left.

Attachments

• 20130827_202324.jpg
    20130827_202324.jpg
    341.4 KB
Lekker RR en pragtige fotos.
Ek sien by die winkeltjie staan Neels en Elsa. Wat het dan van Peet geword soos op die bord ? :ricky:

Love your pics, thanks for sharing the trip with us  :thumleft:

Lekker  :thumleft:

Anton van Rhyn in Doringbaai.
Hel sy gesig het rond geraak vandat ek hom laas gesien het. :eek7:
Once you ride Namakwaland you will always go back to do the roads you have missed
or do them again. :drif:

Have to agree with Malibu - stunning photo!!

Thanks for sharing  :thumleft:

Die man op die foto by Kuiervreugde is Peet .
lekker RR dankie het sopas n week daar deurgebring op n MTB.

Great RR in and about a great part of our great country!  :thumleft:

Dankie.Ek geniet jou RR baie.

En jy kom maak nie by my n draai op Koekenaap nie. ???

Nice RR, gooi nog so paar pics as jy kan.