Capies not at Bash go Mountain riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
I didnâ??t feel like sitting home and twiddling my thumbs while most of you were at the BASH so I started an innocent thread for a Sunday ride with any Capies still at home. All was going well until a certain Ulitjie (bless his soul) wrote these wordsâ?¦â?¦

â??We could of course do the "up-the-mountain" ride I told you about Mark, but itâ??s not really for noobs, what you think?â?

And so started one of the most enjoyable and challenging rides I have been on.

The meeting place was at the Shell garage at the bottom of Sir Loureys pass, XT660R (Andy) and I left at 6h50 to meet the others at the pass for 7h30. What a beautiful morning, no wind and nice and cool but not cold. We meet Masehare at the garage and after 10min or so realized that no one else would be joining us. Time to head out to Caledon and Ulitjies farm where we would meet the rest of the â??mountain ridingâ? crew. I really enjoy the ride out that way, all tar, as there are some enjoyable sweeping corners and passes to negotiate.

When we get to Ulitjies place there are four more bike waiting to be ridden, Gavelmad, Ulitjie, Tattoo, Rico. So that 2x KTM950, KTM950SE, 2x XT660R, BMW1150adv, and last but not lest a Valedero. Good mix of machines. After a bit of chit chat it was on the mountain. Stopped at the farmer those land we were going to ride on, really pleasant chap and I felt he was quite happy to see us there and ready to tackle his mountain tracks. We each paid R50 for the ride and by the end of the day I would have gladly paid R500.

â??Start your engines and lets rideâ? or something that from our leader Uiltjie. Not 500m from the farm house the track starts, we were warned that the first kilometer or so would be rocky and loose. That was true and it went up and up and up. First thought through my head was â??Today I will have the ride of my life and I KNOW I will fallâ? on both counts I was right. I donâ??t know how long or far we rode till the first pit stop, but what I do remember is all the switch backs, loose rock and gravel, uneven tracks and the shear beauty of the area we were riding in. This wasnâ??t a gravel rode we were going up but a 2 spoor track. I could not stop smiling and whooping in my helmet.

Some pics of the track to the first Pit Stop.
MountainRide009.jpg

MountainRide004.jpg

MountainRide002.jpg

Maybe M should explain his actions here :D
CopyofMountainRide006.jpg

Left all alone
MountainRide008.jpg

So where to now.....up I guess
MountainRide010.jpg

Gavelmad....the happy snapper
MountainRide015.jpg

Smoke break and where to now chat
MountainRide007.jpg

Tattoo and his beast
MountainRide014.jpg

From there we set out for some more wonderful riding and mountain climbing. Most of the time it was 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd gear. Loose rock, tight corner and up up up. But most of all FUN. I was having a ball and so was every one else judging by their grins and high 5â??s at the next Pit Stop. This is with Ulitjieâ??s son was waiting for us in the 4x4 with some refreshment. Thank you. Popped the Champagne and the bottle got passed around. Beers and Savanna also came out.
Da refreashment
MountainRide020.jpg

Da views
MountainRide023.jpg

MountainRide022.jpg

Da crew
MountainRide030.jpg

Da track
MountainRide032.jpg

While we were chatting I looked ahead and saw this track going right up to the top.
Looking at Ulitjie I ask â??Are we riding up Thereâ?
â??No, we are turning right and going to the next mountain trackâ?
â??Well can we ride up thereâ? I ask
â??Go for itâ? he replies.
So Gavelmad, Andy and I head out to climb/ride to the top, being warned to be on the lookout for big loose rocks. Once at the top, the views were stunning.

I will add the rest tonight.....work is calling.

Thanks CO, you would have really enjoyed it.Maybe next time.

I have noticed that I am unable to view the pics on some of the threads, like this one. Anyone have any suggestions???

Meerkat said:
I have noticed that I am unable to view the pics on some of the threads, like this one. Anyone have any suggestions???

Your IT department has decided to block pics hosted by Photobucket
visit https://www.hidemyass.com/ for instructions on how to get past the problem

haha, they have blocked hidemyass as well...damn

some threads show pics though

A BIG thanks to Mark and Uiltjie,Mark for starting a great thread,and Uiltjie for organisig an awsome ride with some great people.Many thanks to the farmer who allowed us to use his road to the top of the mountain and the farmer who allowed us to encroach onto his property and test out his 4 x 4 tracks on the mountain.
The scenery as Mark said was breathtaking,the air so crisp and fresh.
There were everlasting flowers every where.

DSC00722.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

Mark Hardy
DSC00724.jpg

Gravelmad(Melcomb)
DSC00723.jpg

The view
DSC00726.jpg

More to follw

Uiltjie.....I was speaking to Katoom this morning and we would like you to know that we are really very dissapointed that we were not invited on your "mountain excursion".

I had to hear from Tattoo's wife that there was a trip.....we are not going to speak to you again.....ever......baastid!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

You were probably too scared.....we understand...2 weekend in a row with us is probably asking a little too much!!!

On a lighter note.....nice report!!

Ok Uil....I feel bad ignoring you for so long......Love you, man...don't let it happen again! ;D ;)

PS: Hope you showed the guys Zanzibar!!! :eek:

Hey Mark! Did I not pass you around 6:50 at the bottom of Richwood ??? Silver KTM ??? That's was just after I zipped around the circle where a blue XT660 was waiting and waving. I never bought a chuck of the island waving to the XT660 there ;D ;D

At the top of Contermans kloof I thought about you guys and wondered...

Thanks to those that came!  It was great, I loved it!

I must lift my hat to Tatoo and Masehare for handling those big heavy bikes in that terrain, you did well - RESPECT!

I asked Mark to do the ride report, and I will do the FALL report! ;D ;D

It was inevitable, someone had to fall, its a given! ;D  When Mark went up the summit, he drooped the KTM, I wasn't there, but he told me.  Then, as we were about to climb onto another road (Well, track) there was this big "jump" to get onto it (see XT's pic where the 4X4 is parked.  5 metres before that, Mark lost it again to a tip-over.  Remember, everything is at an incline on a mountain!  Here Masehare had a spectacular off, with him rolling backwards down the mountain!  Dirtrat, the sweeper on his 950SE, and my son saw it!  Apparently, it was a sight to see! :eek: :eek:  No pics of these falls though....but not to worry, the best is still to come!

Here we are climbing the last bit to the refreshments!

Myself
DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

XT660R with MH and Tatoo in pursuit

DSC_0021.JPG

Masehare with the big BM, followed by sweeper Dirtrat

DSC_0028.JPG

Masehare

DSC_0029.JPG

Dirtrat with the beast KTM 950 SE, what a machine, taking everything you can throw at it!

DSC_0030.JPG

Having the customery champange on the mountain.

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

After we did the other mountain, upon our return route, my son said that we should wait for him as he wants to take some pics.  We waited, and Mark set off first!  From about 600m away, we could see what has just happened! ::) ::)

With a cloud of dust, and legs and arms and helmet swapping positions amonst the fynbos, Mark had obviously had an off!

My son took the piccies, in true WD fashion!

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

Luckily nothing but Mark's ego was hurt.

More to follow...

Almost sorry i went fishing instead......caught two nice Elf though!! Looks like a great area to ride....maybe organise another outride?

Thanks to all 4 a really great ride on Sunday . Uiltjie you and Tatoo really know how to plan a route in this area. Trailrider is really going to be surprised to found out that there are many other places in SA with spectacular views other than his back yard  :p
I'll add some pics later

Coming up 
IMGP7271.JPG

IMGP7274.JPG

Scenes from the plateau
IMGP7282.JPG

IMGP7286.JPG

And then still higher for 3 of us
IMGP7287.JPG

IMGP7289.JPG

Getting deeper into the fynbos
IMGP7295.JPG

By the way, no fynbos was damaged during the making of this piece of history
See the little path  going up, thats were we went
IMGP7312.JPG

more pics of the boys having fun
IMGP7300.JPG

IMGP7302.JPG

IMGP7309.JPG

IMGP7313.JPG

One of the machines compliments of Tatoo
IMGP7314.JPG

Uil, sorry i missed this. Your rides are always spectacular.

Mark, respect !
It takes me a few minutes longer than that to see the funny side. Cheers

Gravelmad said:
Thanks to all 4 a really great ride on Sunday . Uiltjie you and Tatoo really know how to plan a route in this area. Trailrider is really going to be surprised to found out that there are many other places in SA with spectacular views other than his back yard  :p
I'll add some pics later
Firstly thanks Gravelmad for thinking I helped with the ride, but being such a standup fellow I cannot take any credit for this fantasric ride its all Uiltjies doing. Then thank you Uiltjie it was great. I do quad enduro's and holding the Vara in this terain gave me a work out on par to a good 3hour race, slept like a baby Sunday night. Glad with all the entertainment and acrobatics no one was hurt. Thanks to all that went along it always great meeting new dogs and seeing the one's you know already fantastic. Then to all that missed it shame man I feel for you guys. Dankie weereens Uiltjie en ek gaan nie my 2 fotos wat ek geneem het vir jou stuur nie, nie na ek al die profesionele foto's op die thread gesien het nie.
Groete Rico

Tatoo, dit was 'n groot plesier.  Dit was lekker om my ou Vara weer te sien, en ook om te sien sy is in goeie hande!

Anyway, more pics of the diehards going past Mark's accident scene.

Gravelmad
DSC_0049.JPG

XT660R
DSC_0052.JPG

Die Uilman
DSC_0055.JPG

Masehare
DSC_0058.JPG

Tatoo
DSC_0061.JPG

Dirtrat
DSC_0064.JPG

And coming down, myself
DSC_0073.JPG

Gravelmad
DSC_0077.JPG

Mark Hardy
DSC_0082.JPG

XT660R
DSC_0087.JPG

Tatoo, check, front wheel in the air!
DSC_0092.JPG

Masehare
DSC_0097.JPG

And a good day was had by all!

Ma julle staan dan almal ;D ;D

Lyk asof julle pret gehad het - cool 8)

Mooi wereld daai een van die Caledonners (soos Hermanus se dominee gese het) >:D