Cederberg Day Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outhere

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
We spent a week in Capetown and towed the bike . The one day we joined Vince and Ashton on a route which I got from dual sport Africa website . I joined the Paarl rock and 5 passes routes into one which turned out to be around 275km for the day. So was a chilled ride with lunch at Primas in Paarl .
Then on Thursday the 19th we planned a ride to Cederberg as everyone we have spoken to have said its a must .
I read the ride reports and planned a route for myself . I also posted on planning a ride including my planned route just to check if I was on the right track only posted on Tuesday night and was not expecting much responce so no pressure .So after reading more reports and checking garmin and tracks 4 Africa on mapsource and google earth i got hold of GeoffR who comfirmed a few things for me and sent us his route they ride Thanks Geoff.
Cederbergtrip.jpg

Please note I Have attached this route at the end of report as a track and do not hesitate to check with me if any questions.So that done with here goes with basic report .
Early morning start from time share very close to cable car . Only stars in the sky although rain predicted.
IMGP1879.jpg

Mostly Tar to Malmesbury then good wide gravel roads noting thelow lying clouds in the valley .
IMGP1886.jpg

Into the clouds and time for rain suits.I have recently replaced my standard shocks with some GSA size Wilber shocks from Bling king some how in this picture the bike does look higher than it used to apparently 30mm.
IMGP1889.jpg

We had one scare when we hit a sandy section at speed was not expecting this and the mist does not help visibility.
IMGP1891.jpg

Out of the clouds now and joined the N7 about 10 km from Citrusdal what a perfect day for riding in the mountains.
IMGP1901.jpg

Refuel at Citrusdal and took road along river towards mountains and then left onto road towards Clanwillams Dam.
IMGP1906.jpg

IMGP1913.jpg

IMGP1916.jpg

IMGP1924.jpg

Seems like mountains all on our right and farm lands to the left.
IMGP1926.jpg

IMGP1931.jpg

IMGP1936.jpg

At the dam time to loose the rain suits and take a small break.
IMGP1950.jpg

Tar from Clanwilliam [where luckily we refueled again ] to turn to Wuppertal then a good road to the small town .On the way we met Craig from dual sport Africa coming the other way  and thanked him for his contributions to our sport do think we should support him more not sure how but will look into it.
IMGP1969.jpg

From Wuppertal things got better great 10km section of road over the mountains had a packed lunch just after Eselbank.
IMGP1978.jpg

IMGP1987.jpg

Mug shot
IMGP1992.jpg

Found the cederberg oasis thanks for the chat Gerrard.
IMGP2001.jpg

From there was a nice ride to a small short cut to the right at the three jo jo tanks.
IMGP2006.jpg

Then into the Cederberg valley and out over a pass to Citrusdal again .
IMGP2024.jpg

IMGP2023.jpg

Time now 16.30 and sorry Geoff but had to head back on tar to see sun set over sea for the first time.
IMGP2055.jpg

All in all 730km 12 hours great day out thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Cederberg round trip.gdb
    60.5 KB · Views: 75