Free State Trippie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJred

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Midweek arrived, Wednesday 13th Aug,  and I just had to ride, so I decided to explore a bit of the Free State dirt roads.
The route were: R82 to Vereeninging, Right onto the R57 just outside sasolburg industrial area.
Left on the S46 and this is were the dirt started all the way to Frankfort. Outside Frankfort it was on the R707 to Petrus Steyn. From there it was a series of dirt roads to a place called Kaallaagte, to Arlinton, to Steynsrus, to Edenville, and back to Petrus Steyn.
What was amazing on this trip was the amount of guest farms that I saw. In the middle of nowhere on a some 2 track dirt road you would suddenly see the sign of some guest farm, and there were quite a few of these.
Yet again I realised that Afrika was designed for these DS bikes, man oh man the bike just ate these dirt roads for breakfast. Really wonder full riding.

Some pics
013.jpg

015.jpg

019.jpg

This used to be a general dealer, not much left of the place.
020.jpg

Found this little church in Arlington.
022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

This must have been a school hostel at one stage.
028.jpg

This place in Edenville is packed with restored cars and bikes. Unfortunatly it was closed, as i would have loved to get some pics of the olden beauties in here.
029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

Now here is the Katoem chatting up a lekka Free State tjerrie
032.jpg

033.jpg

The katoem having some sucses and getting its ear nibbled
035.jpg

VRYYYYSTAAAAAAATTT!!!! Lekr man ...Next time come and have a beer i live close to steynsrus

Nice ride reportJJ & nice pics.  Did the missus go with as well?

zetman said:
VRYYYYSTAAAAAAATTT!!!! Lekr man ...Next time come and have a beer i live close to steynsrus

Thanks Zetman ek sal so maak

BlueBull2007 said:

No BB unfortunatly she had to finnish up a few bussiness issues.
When are you guys panning a little outing in Peru?

Plothond said:
I love those old buildings
So much History, probably just forgotten

I love history and all the stories that old buildings tell.  I hate going on ride or trips like these.  I start asking myself so many questions which sometimes remain unanswered!

Take for example the church,
Why build it where they did?
Why build it so small?
How long did it remain active, etc, etc etc..........

In hindsight I think many areas like these took strain when people thought it would be better to move to the cities.  Now all these buildings stand empty and dilapidated.  Pity!

Plothond said:
I love those old buildings
So much History, probably just forgotten

It is quite sad really, in most of those little town you see these beautiful houses/buildings that could be transformed with a bit of TLC. Alot of those properties can still be picked up for a steal, the only problem is the slow economy in the platteland.

Hi JJ

Good report, your report just confirm that there is much more to DS than extreme stuff.  December we consider to do the Northen Cape and Karoo.  There should also be a lot of small towns.

I think the lesson learned from your trip is to broadly look at the map and then to find some google info on the towns before going there.  Will test this theory :biggrin:

Defenitief daar is n asemrovende netwerk van allerhande grondpaaie net hier rondom ons.
Dit is als deel van die DS bike wereld, plus die voordeel is as die pad skielik vrek lelik raak, die bikes hanteef dit lag-lag.

JJred said:
BlueBull2007 said:

No BB unfortunatly she had to finnish up a few bussiness issues.
When are you guys panning a little outing in Peru?

Well we arrived last night. Just waiting for the bikes to have their catalytic converters out and then they´ll be on their way. Im making arrangements this side for customs and stuff as well. Anyway we hope to have the bikes on the ground in a couple of weeks. Till then Im just going to have to wear my ATGATT in the car on the way to work to get that feeling! ;D

I have to come down there again. First time I did the whole Freestate thing was on my YBR125. The second time was on the KLR, but it rained the whole day and spoiled things a bit.
I love those wide open roads. No twisties, nothing - just miles and miles of me and myself to think life over, time for some introspection.
I love the place, I'll be back soon!